OP

Pbjeep

First Name
Pb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well the stock shafts from the rear of my Jl fit the jt. Both rubicons. I assume internals are the same on each. Thanks
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t mind the cv shafts just thought that default was u-joints and you paid extra for full time and cvj. But yes the binding is definitely what gets most ujoints. I am curious when this started. Also a assume this still has the FAD on it. Knuckles are still aluminum. Just thinking this is weird.
I say good for you. That’s so cool that they may have gone cv as a standard in 22.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I never had that problem and left mine in auto most of the winter and any time I was pulling my trailer out of the spot I park it and up my neighbor's winding up-hill gravel drive to get to the road.
Not sure what you mean "cause the vehicle to push straight". I could never tell when mine engaged other than it didn't slip in that loose gravel pulling my trailer up the hill, and never spun wheels going up my icy driveway. It worked flawlessly. That's one reason I wanted it in this truck.
I have no idea how the Jeep system works, but on the chevys.....They lock the front end in when the rear tires slip. You go from maybe slight oversteer from the rear end stepping out a couple of degrees to the front locked binding the drivetrain causing a potential oversteer condition. Lots of factors at play though.......New front tire with used rears? That would make it kick in sooner since the computer would see slightly higher wheel speed out back.

You gotta remember, I'm a very sensitive driver and I also can drive on the aggressive side at times. This is what makes me good at my job.......Vibration diagnostics, noises, and chassis setup. What most don't notice drive me insane!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
but on the chevys.....They lock the front end in when the rear tires slip. You go from maybe slight oversteer from the rear end stepping out a couple of degrees to the front locked binding the drivetrain causing a potential oversteer condition.
Locked? Mine never "locked" - it was more like a standard full-time system, not like 4H in the Jeep where it would bind on dry pavement. It's like there was a differential action in the transfer case, it never locked the front and rear shafts together.
I guess I'd liken it to the t-case in my Eagle - which can be driven on dry roads in 4 wheel drive but a limited slip effect between front and rear.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Locked? Mine never "locked" - it was more like a standard full-time system, not like 4H in the Jeep where it would bind on dry pavement. It's like there was a differential action in the transfer case, it never locked the front and rear shafts together.
I guess I'd liken it to the t-case in my Eagle - which can be driven on dry roads in 4 wheel drive but a limited slip effect between front and rear.
You need to read my post again.......I never said anything about how the Jeep system works. I said the Chevy locked?

I have never driven or diagnosed a modern Jeep auto 4wd system. I would have to defer to a technical guy like you who owns one fir now.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You need to read my post again.......I never said anything about how the Jeep system works. I said the Chevy locked?

I have never driven or diagnosed a modern Jeep auto 4wd system. I would have to defer to a technical guy like you who owns one fir now.
That's why I quoted your chevy comments. I was talking fully about Chevy.

but on the chevys.....They lock the front end in when the rear tires slip.
you said on the chevys, they lock the front end when the rear tires slip.
Mine did not.

I have not fully studied the Jeep Selec-Trac.
My Chevy truck in automatic mode for the transfer case didn't lock. It was more like a full time system when in auto mode. It had no impact on turning or steering.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You need to read my post again.......I never said anything about how the Jeep system works. I said the Chevy locked
That's why I quoted your chevy comments. I was talking fully about Chevy.

you said on the chevys, they lock the front end when the rear tires slip.
Mine did not.

I have not fully studied the Jeep Selec-Trac.
My Chevy truck in automatic mode for the transfer case didn't lock. It was more like a full time system when in auto mode. It had no impact on turning or steering.
Thats exactly what a Chevy does. In "auto" mode, it locks the FAD so its ready for for when the rear wheels slip........the clutch in the tcase locks up and powers the front output shaft.

Then add in if you have a borderline worn idler arm.......when it kicks in and you add 1"+ toe in from the front end pulling! What ride when it happens mid corner at 40mph and you aren't expecting it?

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I say good for you. That’s so cool that they may have gone cv as a standard in 22.
Gonna have to check my build date. I do not have CV's and mine is a '22 Rubi.

I do wish I had the full time transfer..... I wonder how difficult it is to swap in and if the CV's can just be added or if the whole axle assembly is different.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Gonna have to check my build date. I do not have CV's and mine is a '22 Rubi.

I do wish I had the full time transfer..... I wonder how difficult it is to swap in and if the CV's can just be added or if the whole axle assembly is different.
Others have tried. Axles are the least of it. Adding CV’s isn’t the problem. It’s a different transfer case.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Others have tried. Axles are the least of it. Adding CV’s isn’t the problem. It’s a different transfer case.
Yes I realize it's a different transfer. But I'm wondering if the two transfers are the same size, bolt pattern, length for driveshaft, etc.. So if it would be a easy remove and replace operation.

Build date is 02 - 22. so it was built 1.5 months prior to me getting it off the lot. So maybe I missed the switch by just a couple days. Kinda sucks. Would much prefer CV/s and the other transfer. But not a dealbreaker.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I realize it's a different transfer. But I'm wondering if the two transfers are the same size, bolt pattern, length for driveshaft, etc.. So if it would be a easy remove and replace operation.

Build date is 02 - 22. so it was built 1.5 months prior to me getting it off the lot. So maybe I missed the switch by just a couple days. Kinda sucks. Would much prefer CV/s and the other transfer. But not a dealbreaker.
There’s a thread on here that details someone who tried. It sounds like it didn’t work. I’ll see if I can find it.

Edit: Here it is.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/selec-trac-transfer-case-swap-myth-busted.56389/

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Well the stock shafts from the rear of my Jl fit the jt. Both rubicons. I assume internals are the same on each. Thanks
The shafts will interchange between the JL and JT, but the JT rear shafts have a different profile (JT shaft is on the right, JL shaft on the left, and Dana chromoly in the middle). I used some rear JL shafts temporarily after bending the flange on mine. I’ve also swapped the stock fronts with a JL, and they are identical.

Jeep Gladiator Cv shafts in 22 rubicon without full time auto rocktrac E4FCD7D4-9B20-4DDB-BF38-D677D9B759BD
Sponsored