First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
Has anyone tried using the front axles from a selec trac equipped vehicle in a non selec trac?
I was looking into RCVs for my Mojave (like them in my JK) when I realized some JL and JTs come with CV vs U joint axels.
I don’t think the stock units will be RCV strong but maybe cheaper.
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
CV joints are typically stronger, but if they have a rubber boot, they will be more failure prone in an off-road vehicle.

RCV’s boots are supposed to be more durable than your regular cv boots.

OP
OP
81Mojave

81Mojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
Valid points but U joints have down sides also.
I realize I don’t have a center differential but 4WD with CVs smoother steering and power delivery anywhere there is decent traction.

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R and 2017 Chevrolet Bolt
Occupation
Business Owner
I have selectrac and considered RCVs specifically but ended up deciding not to. I read a surprisingly high amount of people having issues with the finish of them and tearing up plastic boots early and people having to refinish brand new replacements due to burring, etc. Also, a local 4WD shop recommended strongly against them due to noise and issues that they said the manufacturers were claiming was "normal". I think they are an intriguing option but I question if they are ready for primetime. I'd be interested to know if anyone here has a longer-term opinion they can give after installing them.

OP
OP
81Mojave

81Mojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
You have CVS as stock equipment now correct? I’m considering trying a set of stock axles for a Selec Trac JL/JT not sure if the FAD will be an issue though.

Were you looking for stronger axles?
RCV have been along awhile, I have had good luck with them (need to pay attention during installation)but they are not cheap.

Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
A friend of mine has RCV front axles. They need to be re-greased at regular intervals. The boots failed in about a year (not due to trail damage either), and the boot area experienced a lot of wear. RCV told him it was normal. They might be strong, but I am not impressed.

OP
OP
81Mojave

81Mojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
I haven’t spent much time looking at the prices for stock CVs because I’m not sure I can run them as the selec trac Jeeps don’t have a FAD set up.
I think the FAD requires a narrow section on the passenger side shaft, not sure there’s one on the CV version

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I haven’t spent much time looking at the prices for stock CVs because I’m not sure I can run them as the selec trac Jeeps don’t have a FAD set up.
I think the FAD requires a narrow section on the passenger side shaft, not sure there’s one on the CV version
That is not correct. My Selec-Trac equipped Mojave has FAD.

OP
OP
81Mojave

81Mojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
But you don’t have 2wd correct?

Sponsored

OP
OP
81Mojave

81Mojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
What front axle do you have?

OP
OP
81Mojave

81Mojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
Jac04, thank you I had read about the 392 Rubicon and thought it was the same set up.
im going to keep an eye out for a set of the CV axles, I’d like to see if they fit.

Sting-Gray Neutral Pres.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport Diesel
I'll try zombie revival of this thread to ask, has anyone on this forum actually swapped stock CV axles in on a U-joint rig?
Selec-Trac or CVs were never an option on my diesel, but I moved to a very snowy place this year that has a mosiac of cleared and uncleared roads and I probably shift in and out of 4wd 4 times every time I drive through the neighborhood and end up in a nasty crow-hop situation on wet pavement probably once per week. I'm so sick of crow hop now.
Sponsored