Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'll try zombie revival of this thread to ask, has anyone on this forum actually swapped stock CV axles in on a U-joint rig?
Selec-Trac or CVs were never an option on my diesel, but I moved to a very snowy place this year that has a mosiac of cleared and uncleared roads and I probably shift in and out of 4wd 4 times every time I drive through the neighborhood and end up in a nasty crow-hop situation on wet pavement probably once per week. I'm so sick of crow hop now.
CV joints will help some on turns, but you still need to take it out of 4H on sticky pavement or you'll have other problems. The front axle joints are only to make the steering smoother. If you need to shift now, you'll need to shift with those as well or you'll have issues.
I can give a first-hand example -
I have a 2022 with the full-time option transfer case so I have the CV front axles.
But I use 4H - not full time - 4H part time, when plowing. When I get to the road were the county plow has already been, or where there's no snow on the road out front and need to turn where there's dry blacktop there's serious binding just because there's no slipping between the front and rear shafts. That's with CV joints.
CVs make the turns better, but if it's dry, she'll still bind up. That's just how part time mode is.
Sponsored

Sting-Gray Neutral Pres.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport Diesel
Yep understood that it's not great on the transfer case unless something is slipping. Crow-hop on this is a different beast though, I can be turning sharp out of my snowy driveway (4wd required) onto my snowy street and still generate enough traction in snow on a front tire to get crow hop with the U-joints. At high steering angle a u-joint requires a lot of slip each 180 degrees of rotation.

Sting-Gray Neutral Pres.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport Diesel
So, as I head into my second winter living in a mountain town with abundant snowfall, facing the prospect of many daily transfer case shifts to avoid crow hop, I have to ask again if anyone has yet tried swapping in the stock CV joints for the stock U-joints?
My warranty is expired this time around so I'm even more motivated to improve drivability this year.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I havenā€™t spent much time looking at the prices for stock CVs because Iā€™m not sure I can run them as the selec trac Jeeps donā€™t have a FAD set up.
I think the FAD requires a narrow section on the passenger side shaft, not sure thereā€™s one on the CV version
Why would you think select trac versions donā€™t have a FAD? I have a 2021 rubicon with 4hi Auto and definitely have a FAD. Iā€™ve also replaced my stock CV axles with RCVs. I didnā€™t break the Oem ones but wanted more strength for tough terrain. The RCV passenger setup is two piece just like the original. It uses the FAD just like the Oem axles did. As long as you protect the FAD with a better than Oem skid, they work great. These are not the FADs of old. Theyā€™ve come a long way. As far as the longevity question, Iā€™ve had my RCVs for almost 40k miles with lots of heavy wheeling. No quality, wear, or noise problems whatsoever. I grease them during each tire rotation, but itā€™s incredibly easy. It takes 5 minutes per wheel.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So, as I head into my second winter living in a mountain town with abundant snowfall, facing the prospect of many daily transfer case shifts to avoid crow hop, I have to ask again if anyone has yet tried swapping in the stock CV joints for the stock U-joints?
My warranty is expired this time around so I'm even more motivated to improve drivability this year.
It can be done. Note that it won't help any on dry pavement as far as part time 4H goes because there's still binding between the front and rear driveshafts since they will turn at different speeds during turns and so on.
It's not a cure-all, but is a help on corners to prevent the front axle speed changes on turns.

Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
So can you get the full time 4wd with narrow axles? Or are they all upgraded to wide axles.
In other words will there be two versions of the CVs.
I couldnā€™t find the parts online, Iā€™d be curious if you find some and find out if itā€™s a simple swap for the stock wide axle U joints.

OP
OP
81Mojave

81Mojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
I didnā€™t think the select track equipped vehicles would need a FAD system, honestly Iā€™m disappointed as I was under the impression in 4WD auto it operated like an open center differential.
I have the same concerns on driving in winter weather.
I love my RCVs in my JKUR, I hear people and 4WD shops say they sling grease or some other issue. But I donā€™t have a themed build in low profile tires ect. personally I like the confidence that my huge joints arenā€™t going to explode when I have the wheel cut hard and step on the skinny pedal

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I didnā€™t think the select track equipped vehicles would need a FAD system, honestly Iā€™m disappointed as I was under the impression in 4WD auto it operated like an open center differential.
I have the same concerns on driving in winter weather.
I love my RCVs in my JKUR, I hear people and 4WD shops say they sling grease or some other issue. But I donā€™t have a themed build in low profile tires ect. personally I like the confidence that my huge joints arenā€™t going to explode when I have the wheel cut hard and step on the skinny pedal
4hi Auto works very well in these. Very well. Iā€™ll never get another one without it. And I have RCVs with a functional FAD.

cranbiz

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2017 WK2 Trailhawk, 2012 JK
Occupation
IT Analyst, Volunteer Firefighter
I have had RCV's in my JK now for close to 5 years. The boots are fine and grease them about every 5K miles. Not one issue with them. If someone is going thru boots, they are not installed right. They can be tricky to get on fully.
Sponsored