OP

Pbjeep

First Name
Pb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’ll lift and 37s soon. I’ll go rcv if I need additional strength. Have rear spare shafts from my jlur. Had spicer alloys in it.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's on a Rubicon though, so if they are doing it, I'm betting it's been vetted/tested. I know the trim differences are minimal, but there'd be some major backlash (especially if it's on the Wrangler too) if they made the "crawling" trim truly worse for crawling.
I don't see how CV joints would be bad other than watching for boot rips. CV joints take a heck of a lot of abuse. Crank that wheel hard left or right, take a hard look at the angles that regular joint has to deal with. You are almost prying it sideways when the wheels are turned hard. CV joints won't resist turning, regular joints actually "resist" turning. All anyone has to do is take a flex socket and get a bunch of angle on it and see how easily it wants to turn.
Frankly, in my experiences, I'd expect a regular joint to break under stress that a CV joint takes in stride.

OP
OP

Pbjeep

First Name
Pb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Agreed. I’m actually glad I got them. Even if boot rips it just starts making noice. Maybe not something where a unjoint breaks and takes out brake lines or the ears on inner or outer shaft. This is number 9 for me. Can’t wait to start a new build. Thanks and make sure you check your shafts while shopping I just assumed.

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Our 2020 def has U Joints, just went out in the rain to check, well and the dog needed to go out.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs

s alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon
But don't you have the 4-auto transfer case? Or did I read that thread wrong? 4-auto has always had CV joints, but regular transfer case came with u joints (apparently until very recently)
I do have the 4 Auto.

Sponsored

s alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon
This is rubicon without 4 auto
That's kind stupid if you ask me. 4 Auto is great in the winter, and why not have it at this price.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
That's kind stupid if you ask me. 4 Auto is great in the winter, and why not have it at this price.
It's not universally available. It is only on automatic gas powered vehicles (no manual or diesel option). Also, it was a new option for 2021, didn't exist on 2020s.

But I think the OP of this thread has a standard, part-time transfer case and still got CV joints. So just wondering if they all have them now.

mdHalp

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Analyst
I just went out to walk the dog to check. 2022 Rubicon and I 1000% have U-joints, not CVs. Kind of jealous..