Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
So I traded my 2018 JLUR last night for a 2022 JTR. Got home got the crawler out rolling around underneath and noticed I have CV joints on the front axle. No U-joints. I do not have the auto transfer case option or full time. Haven’t tried to shift to 4wd yet but did something change or is this strange? Gear shifter does not show auto. Wonder if CV joints are the norm now. IDK, let me know what y’all think.
What is your build date?
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Here all the Diesels, so Launch and Overland(those are the only options), have the 2H to 4 Auto gear shift
Wirklich? Sehr interessant...
I took German in middle school and college. I don't remember much. But back on topic. That's interesting, that you get an option we don't in the US.

Last edited:

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
I took German in middle school and college. I don't remember much. But mlback on topic. That's interesting, that you get an option we don't in the US.
especially cause they are all built in the US, just get different lights and mirrors and halos disabled. TBH, mean comment incoming, most People here would not ever be able to put it in 4wd if it was not 4Auto. Not that many situations around here were it would be good for the vehicle. Ok snow, but then they plow and salt and you ruin your vehicle because you have to much grip again.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Here all the Diesels, so Launch and Overland(those are the only options), have the 2H to 4 Auto gear shift
Yeah, but Germany is a whole other country LOL.
The EU has some different rules or laws now and then. Not saying that as a negative or bad thing, just can be very difference from the states. Some day we'll catch up.

2020 absolutely had the cross and bearing u-joint. There was no Selec-Trac t-case with 4H auto in 2020.
2021 saw the Selec-Trac full time/auto t-case introduced. Any JT with that option got the CV joints.
Now for the 2022 model year, at some point it appears there was a running change and even only part time transfer cases get the CV.

We'll see if that holds true...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I took German in middle school and college. I don't remember much. But mlback on topic. That's interesting, that you get an option we don't in the US.
My first wife was German, her grandparents came to the states during the depression and farmed. Her grandparents spoke English very well - and German only when there were no non-German speaking people around. I enjoyed learning.......
My second wife is of German ancestry - you'd think I would have learned the first time, but no.

First was a Hafermann, second a Hoch.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with anything at all other than it's a small world, and it's fun learning about the rest of it.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I would never want 4wd Auto if it's like the Chevys that engauge a clutch in the tcase to sent power to the front output shaft......They lock when you might least expect it and cause the vehicle to push strait.

I would however be interested on an AWD function lever position like the XJ's and ZJ's has back in the day. I would use that off road most of the time since 1st gear is so low and mostly operate in conditions where 4wd saves the road, but isn't required. The smoothness to make sharp turns would be real nice.

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
Just drove around gravel parking lot 4 low locked. No problem. Guess I got lucky and got cv joint shafts. Something to look for. Gonna ride by another dealer that just got a rubicon gladiator 2022 in to see what it has. Curious now.
Just checked, and my '22 Max Tow (wide axles) has u joints in the front.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would never want 4wd Auto if it's like the Chevys that engauge a clutch in the tcase to sent power to the front output shaft......They lock when you might least expect it and cause the vehicle to push strait.
I never had that problem and left mine in auto most of the winter and any time I was pulling my trailer out of the spot I park it and up my neighbor's winding up-hill gravel drive to get to the road.
Not sure what you mean "cause the vehicle to push straight". I could never tell when mine engaged other than it didn't slip in that loose gravel pulling my trailer up the hill, and never spun wheels going up my icy driveway. It worked flawlessly. That's one reason I wanted it in this truck.

Sponsored

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
Just checked my 22 JTRD, U-Joints for me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Likely a running change, meaning that the BUILD date will be the determining factor, not model year.
Some 2022 may have u-joints, some may have CV, most likely based on when it was built.

Show the MDH from the sticker on the door jamb -
for example, this 2020 was made November 5th (2019) 1500 hours (3pm)

Jeep Gladiator Cv shafts in 22 rubicon without full time auto rocktrac 1651620962263

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Having ejected multiple c-clips which resulted in broken u-joints (even had one half installed from the factory on a JK), I’ll take a slightly less-strong CV over a jerkey u-joint.

625269ED-C1B5-4901-974A-2C131240A1CB.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Oddly, I can't find were there's proof of a CV being weaker but I can find a lot of u-joints with the cross broken........
CV joints maintain strength better than Cardan u-joints at an angle.
It seems that it's more of an "Accepted" thing than anything else.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/u-vs-cv-joints

OP
OP

Pbjeep

First Name
Pb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This makes replacement a nightmare if you just needed one side from trail carnage. I mean you could run both types at once but I’d prefer the same type of joint. I appreciate the Feedback. Guess time will tell. My front shafts on my jlur held up to 27 badges and countless trail runs as well as daily driving on 37s. Rear held up too but I had alloys.
Sponsored