Sponsored

tires/gears what is right for me?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Speed limit here is 55. I see lots of 8th as I drive like a grandpa. lol
Fair enough, 8th barely held 70 on the rubi tires so losing 8th at my actual cruising speed made so little difference. At 55 i still see 8th plenty even up to 65 or so. Honestly I'd be interested to see how much "loosing 8th" on bigger tires actually makes since the tires are just the last gear in the gearing and you are still running similar rpms on 7th because of the bigger tires vs 8th at similar speed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Now you guys are going to have me down the what wheels/offset rabbit hole. That's the plan all along isn't it!? You guys have stock in the tire and wheel manufacturers don't you!?

Edit
May as well ask what offset gets me closest to stock stance? Lol

Don't thumbs it up Mac you costing me more money buddy! :CWL:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Why is there a $30 difference between 35 and 315 tires? Both are e rated.
I don’t believe there is a difference just a different way of saying the same size, I would look for a LR C tire as LR E can be pretty stiff on a light truck like the JT. Actual tire sizes seem to vary quite a bit between brands despite having the same size listed such as 315/70/17, BFG tires tend to run smaller from what I have read than other brands. Wheel size and offset is a tough one, so many choices and opinions. IMO one of the best choices is the AEV wheels made specifically for the JL/JT 17x8.5 with a +25 offset, I like the tire flush or close to flush with the fenders and also think for scrub radius and steering wear and tear that size is ideal.

Sponsored

AZ_Adventure_Clicks

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardmitchellphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
VBS Consultant
you and I are in the same boat. There is a 2" lift for the Mojave that will keep stock geometry intact: https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/mojave-spacer-lift/

I did see some guys have run 37s without lifting at all, but I wonder if that still works going fast in the desert without rubbing at full compression.

Then there's the gearing issue...
so personally I'm really leaning towards 35s.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
you and I are in the same boat. There is a 2" lift for the Mojave that will keep stock geometry intact: https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/mojave-spacer-lift/

I did see some guys have run 37s without lifting at all, but I wonder if that still works going fast in the desert without rubbing at full compression.

Then there's the gearing issue...
so personally I'm really leaning towards 35s.
I've looked but not found and desert in Kentucky (sadly). :)The gearing cost and tire cost for 37s is gonna be like 5k. (Tires/research only)Just alot at once.

AZ_Adventure_Clicks

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
VBS Consultant
I've looked but not found and desert in Kentucky (sadly). :)The gearing cost and tire cost for 37s is gonna be like 5k. (Tires/research only)Just alot at once.
Yeah. That's a big chunk of change.
I've never been to Kentucky. I'm assuming you've got some back roads that have dips and such that would benefit from the Mojave suspension?

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Yeah. That's a big chunk of change.
I've never been to Kentucky. I'm assuming you've got some back roads that have dips and such that would benefit from the Mojave suspension?
more like potholes lol
Most trails are dirt/hills and rain = mud holes. Im sure i could probably find some backroads but there's gonna be deer. haha

AZ_Adventure_Clicks

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
VBS Consultant
more like potholes lol
Most trails are dirt/hills and rain = mud holes. Im sure i could probably find some backroads but there's gonna be deer. haha
bring a salt shaker :D

Sponsored

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
So for fun I called the local Jeep dealer, I didnt buy my truck there but we did just buy my wife a new car there. Salesman is cool and does his best to help. Anyhow, I called and talked to service department and asked about ring and pinion installations. The lady had really no clue and asked me if I wanted a bigger ring then just forwarded me to some guys sitting in an office on speaker phone. I said I wanted to go to 4.88's they said they only install factory... I said there is a mopar part number, do you want it? No I need your vin number because all gladiators are different. They didnt seem eager to do much more than tire rotations and oil changes and probably warranty work. They asked what year I said 21 and they were like "oh yeah, we have to do alot of programming for that. There is alot to it..." These people were obvious morons.

Reactions: Mac
OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
So unless I can find a good shop locally, not sure I want to drive 3 hours for a shop because "hey this is making a noise after installation..." I cant drive it back there really. Ill just end up with 35's and 4.10s until I can find a place/way to do 4.88's.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
35s and 4.10s are fine. Xtreme Recon pack is 4.56s.

You don't need E rated tires. C works fine. Ford Raptor comes with 315/70/17 KO2s in C rated.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
35s and 4.10s are fine. Xtreme Recon pack is 4.56s.

You don't need E rated tires. C works fine. Ford Raptor comes with 315/70/17 KO2s in C rated.
i really want falken A/Ts like I ahve stock just in 35, they have a c rated version?
Sponsored