Sponsored

Rough Country Step - Screwhole has bubble in it. How to best remove?

COmtnbiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ; 2022 Sport S JT
Hi - I am installing new Rough Country Contoured Steps.

One of the screw holes on the step bar has a metal bubble manufacturing defect inside impeding the screw. How should I remove it without impacting the screw threading in the hole? <eg: drill bit, etc> I tried hitting a screwdriver with hammer to it - but didn't work.

I'd rather fix it myself than try to send back to Rough Country, etc.

Picture of location and bubble.

Thank you.

Jeep Gladiator Rough Country Step - Screwhole has bubble in it. How to best remove? install_instructions1

Jeep Gladiator Rough Country Step - Screwhole has bubble in it. How to best remove? inside_screw_hole
Sponsored

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
Is the bubble on the bottom the reason I am asking the bolt want run thru it because of the bubble is there no threads to start a bolt or you might can take the bolt to the hardware and just get a tap that size and rethread the hole or a parts store might rent you a set of taps until you bring them back I had the same problem not to long ago

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
That's built up powder coat, so it is hard.

Either buy an extra bolt and try running through or get a correct size tap and try running it.

You may have to use an undersized drill bit to clean some of it out to get a bite with tap or bolt.
Sponsored