SmartCap

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
Nice. I just saw the adventurer model. I emailed them seeing how I can order
About 15 lbs is the max you can put on the doors before our factory gas assist shocks will start to close.
Also does the cap come flush to the cab? Wondering if the low profile bars will work w my tent since some of the tent will be over cab
Yes, the cap is the same height as the cab. If you mount the tent to our load bars or platform rack you should be golden.
Sponsored

MJBoyle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Military
I have a couple bits of advice, not sure if they were mentioned in the last 7 pages, I may have missed them........

The cap is heavy once assembled. It will take two really strong, relatively taller people, but if you had 4 you would have a much easier time. We gouged our bed rail a small amount and we damaged the tail gate top rail protector. Both are plastic and the bed rail is now hidden and it didn't affect the seal of the cap. The tail gate rail is easily replaced, not concerned at all. It happened because only my wife and I lifted/adjusted it into place. Once we had it halfway up onto the bed, I shifted into the bed and 'turtle shelled' the cap into place, lifting it as we moved it. The D gasket was not affected this way. I cannot imagine sliding it would do well with that gasket.

Before you even open a box, or before you receive it....GO GET A 10MM RATCHETING WRENCH!!! If you don't have one, you will thank me for convincing you to get one. No, you won't be able to get a socket on all the bolts. Well, you probably could, but you'll ding up the cap's finish by wedging the socket wrench in there. Using a ratcheting wrench made things really simple. I just hand tightened first, until all panels were in place, and then used the wrench to snug things down, approaching the torque amounts. Then, torqued in proper sequence.

The foam RSI provided to make up the difference at the front of the bed was required. In fact, I had to add a small piece of it at each side where the side bed panel met the front bed panel, as there was a small difference in thickness needed to even up things. I just placed a small patch of the foam there, then put the main piece along the front bed rail. Worked perfectly and, once the clamps were tightened, there is zero light or air coming through there.

The tailgate will be the only major opening to let water into the bed now (aside from drain hole areas which will see spray if you go through an undercarriage wash). I see no issue there, though. If you put a dog back there, it would be adequate ventilation (along with the positive ventilation opening up top, of course).

Take the time to line it up properly. The lines on this cap are amazing on the Gladdy. We had the cap cheated forward a bit, then noticed the ledge that the tailgate and the cap's rear hatch formed. That didn't look right and it certainly would hold water/snow/ice. A small adjustment rearward put things perfectly in alignment.

This cap will indeed come off pretty simply, if you have enough people to lift it or have some kind of hoisting mechanism.

If you're on the fence....jump for this thing. It is well made and the shipping was impeccable. There was zero damage and I cannot see how they'd be able to damage it given the way it was packed. I saw the way the earlier runs were packed, and I can see how they'd get some damage. It comes on a pallet, boxed inside a box inside a box, with foam everywhere.

Now, to add lighting tapped into the bed lights......

gladcap.jpg

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
I have a couple bits of advice, not sure if they were mentioned in the last 7 pages, I may have missed them........

The cap is heavy once assembled. It will take two really strong, relatively taller people, but if you had 4 you would have a much easier time. We gouged our bed rail a small amount and we damaged the tail gate top rail protector. Both are plastic and the bed rail is now hidden and it didn't affect the seal of the cap. The tail gate rail is easily replaced, not concerned at all. It happened because only my wife and I lifted/adjusted it into place. Once we had it halfway up onto the bed, I shifted into the bed and 'turtle shelled' the cap into place, lifting it as we moved it. The D gasket was not affected this way. I cannot imagine sliding it would do well with that gasket.

Before you even open a box, or before you receive it....GO GET A 10MM RATCHETING WRENCH!!! If you don't have one, you will thank me for convincing you to get one. No, you won't be able to get a socket on all the bolts. Well, you probably could, but you'll ding up the cap's finish by wedging the socket wrench in there. Using a ratcheting wrench made things really simple. I just hand tightened first, until all panels were in place, and then used the wrench to snug things down, approaching the torque amounts. Then, torqued in proper sequence.

The foam RSI provided to make up the difference at the front of the bed was required. In fact, I had to add a small piece of it at each side where the side bed panel met the front bed panel, as there was a small difference in thickness needed to even up things. I just placed a small patch of the foam there, then put the main piece along the front bed rail. Worked perfectly and, once the clamps were tightened, there is zero light or air coming through there.

The tailgate will be the only major opening to let water into the bed now (aside from drain hole areas which will see spray if you go through an undercarriage wash). I see no issue there, though. If you put a dog back there, it would be adequate ventilation (along with the positive ventilation opening up top, of course).

Take the time to line it up properly. The lines on this cap are amazing on the Gladdy. We had the cap cheated forward a bit, then noticed the ledge that the tailgate and the cap's rear hatch formed. That didn't look right and it certainly would hold water/snow/ice. A small adjustment rearward put things perfectly in alignment.

This cap will indeed come off pretty simply, if you have enough people to lift it or have some kind of hoisting mechanism.

If you're on the fence....jump for this thing. It is well made and the shipping was impeccable. There was zero damage and I cannot see how they'd be able to damage it given the way it was packed. I saw the way the earlier runs were packed, and I can see how they'd get some damage. It comes on a pallet, boxed inside a box inside a box, with foam everywhere.

Jeep Gladiator RSi SmartCap EVO Gladiator Fitment gladca
Thanks for All the Info-I am Older and alone(dogs are No help) So will get the folks in Eugene to assemble and put on for me. I will print out alot of what I see on the Forum for their use also! Great Job-Let me know what you think of those clamps.

MJBoyle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Military
The clamps on the trail rails work great. I placed them near the bolts that hold the rail onto the bed, torqued very carefully. I have zero deflection of the trail rails. You can just barely make out the D shaped rubber gasket all the way along the rail, so it is not over compressed. The foam seal between all panels is also slightly visible, so it is sealed well. I can see how one could tighten the bolts down in the wrong order, and over tighten them, which would cause the gasket to fail.

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Wish I could find pictures of one installed on a white truck with white top. Ugh.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SmartCap

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Wish I could find pictures of one installed on a white truck with white top. Ugh.
Here ya be! These were posted by a customer out of Virginia.

20210206_113630.jpg

20210206_113646.jpg

20210206_113655.jpg

20210206_113716.jpg

20210206_113724.jpg

20210206_113739.jpg

20210206_123041.jpg

20210206_123109.jpg

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Here ya be! These were posted by a customer out of Virginia.

Jeep Gladiator RSi SmartCap EVO Gladiator Fitment 20210206_123109

Sorry, I meant the Jeep white Freedom top with a black SmartCap. I'm about to put in my order since I can't find details. With it painted white I think it's too much white.

I did have a question...I'd prefer to have it delivered to my house but generally I'd be at working during the day. How are the caps shipped? My wife would be home with our children but she certainly wouldn't be able to lift anything heavy. I could get it delivered to work but would then need to transport home and would rather it go to my house. Was curious if it was done by LCL shipment where the driver could dolly it my garage.

Thanks!

OP
OP
SmartCap

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I meant the Jeep white Freedom top with a black SmartCap. I'm about to put in my order since I can't find details. With it painted white I think it's too much white.

I did have a question...I'd prefer to have it delivered to my house but generally I'd be at working during the day. How are the caps shipped? My wife would be home with our children but she certainly wouldn't be able to lift anything heavy. I could get it delivered to work but would then need to transport home and would rather it go to my house. Was curious if it was done by LCL shipment where the driver could dolly it my garage.

Thanks!
It will ship via an LTL carrier that should be able to move it into your garage with a pallet jack. If it would help, I can colorize those images to give you an approximate look at what an EVOa would look like on the back of that truck. Just let me know.

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
It will ship via an LTL carrier that should be able to move it into your garage with a pallet jack. If it would help, I can colorize those images to give you an approximate look at what an EVOa would look like on the back of that truck. Just let me know.
Yeah, if you're able! That would be awesome. I'm also considering vinyl wrapping the doors of the adventure in white to match the truck and keeping the rest of the cap black. I think that could look pretty good too.

Proteus

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JT

gladcap.jpg

How does it handle on the highway? Heard stories about it affecting this, wanted to make sure it doesn’t mess up the ride too much

Sponsored

OP
OP
SmartCap

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, if you're able! That would be awesome. I'm also considering vinyl wrapping the doors of the adventure in white to match the truck and keeping the rest of the cap black. I think that could look pretty good too.
Here ya go. I went with the side view since it is exactly what an EVOa looks like. Here are images with it all black and then leaving the doors white. If you really are going to wrap the cap, another approach could be to purchase an EVOc in white and wrap everything but the doors.

White Jeep and Top MB EVOa with White Doors.jpg

White Jeep and Top MB EVOa.jpg

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Here ya go. I went with the side view since it is exactly what an EVOa looks like. Here are images with it all black and then leaving the doors white. If you really are going to wrap the cap, another approach could be to purchase an EVOc in white and wrap everything but the doors.

Jeep Gladiator RSi SmartCap EVO Gladiator Fitment White Jeep and Top MB EVOa

Jeep Gladiator RSi SmartCap EVO Gladiator Fitment White Jeep and Top MB EVOa
You just made a sale! Haha.

Can I get some extra SmartCap stickers in case I do wrap the door in white? Do you even offer those in black?

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
No but really, I just ordered. I didn’t get an emailed invoice. How long is expected shipping to UT?

OP
OP
SmartCap

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
You just made a sale! Haha.

Can I get some extra SmartCap stickers in case I do wrap the door in white? Do you even offer those in black?
Right on! We don't really have stickers yet, but I am happy to send you a high rez of the logo and you could have your vinyl wrap guys add it to the graphic they print out. As for your question about offering those in black, are you asking about the EVOc? If so, no. What I was suggesting is that you could purchase an EVOc in White, and then wrap the cap, sans the doors, in matte black.

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Right on! We don't really have stickers yet, but I am happy to send you a high rez of the logo and you could have your vinyl wrap guys add it to the graphic they print out. As for your question about offering those in black, are you asking about the EVOc? If so, no. What I was suggesting is that you could purchase an EVOc in White, and then wrap the cap, sans the doors, in matte black.
I was referring to the stickers but you answered that already. When will I get invoice emailed and how long is shipping to UT?
Sponsored