First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Stingray Gray
Occupation
Sales
The 211lbs was a mistake and it included boxes and packaging materials. RSI came back and confirmed 170lbs.

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
They actually came back later saying it ended up being 211 lbs.
I could have sworn they said that first, then came back saying they made a mistake and that it was 170ish. I could be misremembering though.

Edit: Late response. The above post didn't load until after the fact.

Last edited:

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
It’s 170lbs. and shipping weight is over 200lbs. It is hard to lift and put on with two people I know.....Jack

Sponsored

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I believe someone clarified and said this was shipped weight or something like that. The actually weight of the topper is at or around 175lbs - @RSI North America Inc please correct me if this is wrong.
If I recall, my bill of lading said 300 pounds when I received the shipment haha, so their weights are kind of all over the place.

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator BMW-R1150GS Toyota-FJ60 Porsche-914
Occupation
Architect
Yup. RSI Came back to explain that 211 was shipping weight and 170 was actual weight of cap. Similar to Tacoma, which makes sense.
This is from Post 435 of the RSI Smartcap general thread.

Rebel5

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave, 08 Jeep Wrangler JK 4dr
Occupation
Art Director
So is there a way to remove the windows easily and have the frame of the cap only for an open air look?

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
This is awesome! I've been wondering how the Gladiator might look with the RSi canopy with the doors and roof removed...the ability to go topless is one of the big draws of the Gladiator and I was worried that using a canopy might not lend itself well to using that feature...but this looks great in my opinion!

This is by FAR the best looking, best designed, most capable canopy offered at this point. I am also really impressed with the level of interaction RSi has had so far with answering people's questions and communicating...makes me even more confident in the quality of the product.

I will 100% be ordering one as soon as they are available!
Has anyone any experience with the RLD Cap as they are Very Similar to the RSI? The latest reports of problems with the area of the clamps on RSI is making me Rethink My decision of the Smart Cap??

Sponsored

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone any experience with the RLD Cap as they are Very Similar to the RSI? The latest reports of problems with the area of the clamps on RSI is making me Rethink My decision of the Smart Cap??
Where are you seeing reports of issues with the clamps? And what issues are they having?

The clamps are pretty standard. Very similar to what most other canopy companies use. If people are reporting problems, I'd lean towards user error. I've had my cap in some pretty sideways scenarios, including with a tent on top, and the thing hasn't shifted an inch.

Edit: I just came across the other thread that has recently started bringing up these concerns. It looks like it is mostly people clamping straight to their beds. I use the rail system, but I'll still have to check mine to see.

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
Where are you seeing reports of issues with the clamps? And what issues are they having?

The clamps are pretty standard. Very similar to what most other canopy companies use. If people are reporting problems, I'd lean towards user error. I've had my cap in some pretty sideways scenarios, including with a tent on top, and the thing hasn't shifted an inch.

Edit: I just came across the other thread that has recently started bringing up these concerns. It looks like it is mostly people clamping straight to their beds. I use the rail system, but I'll still have to check mine to see.
Please do-The clamps from RSI use the rail system but pressure from clamps seem to cause flexing? of the cap trim. I am also concerned my two Pyrenees may get rowdy in there and those clamps might hurt an eye or something??
I have yet to see a good video on the RLD cap-similar price/build etc in fact I like the side sliding windows in a steel frame instead of all glass, window seems a little bigger but more secure than All glass.

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Please do-The clamps from RSI use the rail system but pressure from clamps seem to cause flexing? of the cap trim. I am also concerned my two Pyrenees may get rowdy in there and those clamps might hurt an eye or something??
I have yet to see a good video on the RLD cap-similar price/build etc in fact I like the side sliding windows in a steel frame instead of all glass, window seems a little bigger but more secure than All glass.
The RSI clamps use either the rails, or just the bed cap itself--the cap comes with two sets of adapters for either occasion. I could see how there may be some flexing from the bed cap, because the point of compression on the underside is a fairly small point. I definitely wouldn't be worried about the bed clamps coming loose if they're in the rails though. They're very secure, and the bolt is long. You'd need to be doing some pretty crazy stuff (like, rolling the vehicle) for that bolt to fully back out once torqued down.

I'll try to get out today to take a look. Catching up on a lot of work from a crazy week!

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not at this time. The clamps we provide are what we recommend you use to mount the cap to the Gladiator.
I Really Don't like the clamps! Why wouldn't a system such as RLD uses be better?? I like the lines of the RSI better but the buckling of the rail trim because of clamp pressure is not Good!
Here's a Link to get a Free Smart Cap-31 March21 https://swee.ps/qBgex_cjInpvy