Sponsored

Rubicon 4:10 to 4:88 upgrade issues (Jeep DOESNT Cares Case #79708336)

OP
OP
Russler

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
GREAT NEWS!!! Dealership called and informed me I am free to come pick up my truck.

NOT SO GREAT NEWS. My truck is not fixed and they have no ETA on software update that will resolve the programming issue.

Million dollar question....do I wait for them to figure this out or just go buy a taser and do it myself? Would hate to void my warranty so maybe a happy face sticker over the ESS! inoperable light is the way to go.

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.
Was this issue ever resolved?

Hank

OP
OP
Russler

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Was this issue ever resolved?

Hank
NOPE. ZERO communication from anyone! I have put thousands of miles on it and had it back to the dealership for oil change/tire rotate and the "software fix" is not available yet. I have pretty much written it off as a lost cause.

Sponsored

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.
NOPE. ZERO communication from anyone! I have put thousands of miles on it and had it back to the dealership for oil change/tire rotate and the "software fix" is not available yet. I have pretty much written it off as a lost cause.
Well hopefully you have no other problems. Thanks for the response. I do hope your dealership will continue to keep an eye out and resolve this for you.

Best of luck,
Hank

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like it’s a manual transmission. I fixed mine this way

good luck ! #JTRSPARTACUS

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
why havent you bought a tazer yet? It will fix your problems then if your bring it into the dealer delete it and they will never know. Takes all of 5 minutes ha ha.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There are cheaper ways to bypass the ESS and never leave a trace or even need to remove any device............

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I had Mopar 4:88's installed in my Rubicon by a local Jeep dealership. Before I left the parking lot the auto start stop threw a warning light and became inoperable. I called the dealership and they assumed it was the auxiliary battery and told me I would need to bring it back and let them have it for 4 hours to test the battery and if/when it was bad they could replace it under warranty.

Fast forward a month and I drop it off to receive a call letting me know they have programmed the 4:88's but every time they start it and pull it out of the shop the auto start stop issue pops back up. When they go back into the programming it has changed back to 4:10's. They let me know I can come pick up the truck and they will work with Jeep to get new code and call me back when they get it.

Two weeks later (last Monday) I take the truck back as they now say they need to regional Jeep guy here so they can connect the system up and work with Jeep as they cant figure out what is going on. I was in the area (today Friday)so I popped in the dealership to see if they had made in progress. Here is where it gets FUN!!!

I have now been informed that you can not put 4:88's in a Rubicon because the rear diff has some air sensor in it and now that they have done both the rear and and front end both axles need to be replaced along w/ the transfer case. They informed me this is only an issue with Rubicon and that if I had a sport or Mojave no big thing. At this point I have no truck, no idea what resolution looks like and scratching my head as to how the heck this is even possible.

Please dont shoot the messenger as I am only sharing what I have been told. Please do share if you have a Rubicon, had a dealership install 4:88's and if you are not having the same problem would really appreciate a PM with your dealership name so I can have mine call yours and compare notes.

All that said I really dont want to go back to 4:10's so need to start looking at other axles as a potential resolution. Thanks in advance for any guidance, positive input or good natured go buy a Ford smack talk as it is all appropriate about right now.

@JeepCares
Crappy scenario for sure! But it seems like you at least have a decent dealership you're working with.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Russler

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Here is the TSB for the fix.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 4:10 to 4:88 upgrade issues (Jeep DOESNT Cares Case #79708336) E78E9120-3274-4CA2-8B78-8F1786FF3B2A
I brought this to the dealerships attention a few months ago. They said this is a totally different issue and that yes, they did the top gear relearn after lift/tires and then again after the gear change.. The ongoing issue I am having is when they change the programming from 4:10 to 4:88 then start my truck it automatically goes back to 4:10.

Thanks for sharing.

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
I brought this to the dealerships attention a few months ago. They said this is a totally different issue and that yes, they did the top gear relearn after lift/tires and then again after the gear change.. The ongoing issue I am having is when they change the programming from 4:10 to 4:88 then start my truck it automatically goes back to 4:10.

Thanks for sharing.
I don't know if you read the links to the JL forums, but it seems exactly like the issue they were having which was resolved by unplugging the battery, separating all connectors attached to the negative terminal, turning on the lights, and holding down the brake pedal(The last two to drain any capacitors).

Have you tried this process?

Edit: Here is what one poster did to resolve it. There are several ways like this, but they all involve disconnecting all power and all seem to have the same outcome: Problem solved.

@gts and @rustyshakelford thanks for the help. Disconnecting full power did it. I disconnected the two negative leads on the main battery and separated them. for good measure I put a multi-meter on the battery + and fender ground and watched as some large capacitor discharged. I waited till it got down to about 1/2 volt then reconnected everything.
Took it down the highway and did the 6th gear relearn procedure, and the ESS errors are gone! Woot! I'm going to find a dirt road in the morning to test if that solved my "service 4x4 system" issue too :fingerscrossed:

OP
OP
Russler

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I am feeling the need to respond to the folks recommending a Tazer. I hear you and agree 100% this may ultimately be the solution. That said I would much rather install a Tazer to address bells and whistles I want vs. a bandaid for poor software quality control from Jeep.

I paid a premium (almost $1k) to have Mopar performance parts 4:88's installed vs. saving money and going to a local off-road shop and having Yukons installed. Along with that premium I do not expect to have these types of issues nor the need to purchase a 3rd party device to address something that should have already been done.

I also find it hard to believe I am the only manual rubicon on the planet that has gone with factory 4:88's. But, if I am great, then maybe keeping the pressure on them to resolve the issue will help someone else in the future.

Thank you all for the guidance, and I look forward to posting this issue has been resolved at some point in time.
Sponsored