Rubicon Max Tow build - manual transmission

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
is that with the 3.73 rear end? One of the things I like about the rubicon is it’s the only way to get 4.10s with a M/T from the factory
You get the wide track axles too which would help a bit with towing.

I really think it’s the manual transmission itself that’s the weak point. I read that it’s only rated to like 282 ft lbs of torque. In my limited research, it looks like it was developed for the Wrangler and only used there. Which would make the torque rating make sense.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Why is the manual a requirement ?

OP
OP
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Occupation
Engineer
Why is the manual a requirement ?
I have always loved driving a manual. Grew up on them and if I had to get a gladiator with an automatic I would get something else.
the gladiator will be a joyride for me. Been driving the same old F250 for 10 years, and commute with a 2002 toyota echo (5 speed manual) pushing 280k miles. the Cummins farm truck has 260k. I need something reliable to commute around to job sites (I have a renovation company) and small farm chores. A pickup is pretty much a requirement, and when I started pricing out any truck with 4 wheel drive and 4 doors the gladiator wasn’t too much more. So, I decided it would be a pretty fun ride to check cows and ride around to job sites on.

OP
OP
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Occupation
Engineer
You get the wide track axles too which would help a bit with towing.

I really think it’s the manual transmission itself that’s the weak point. I read that it’s only rated to like 282 ft lbs of torque. In my limited research, it looks like it was developed for the Wrangler and only used there. Which would make the torque rating make sense.
That was my assumption. From what I researched it’s only used in the JL and JT. Hopefully there will be enough demand for the aftermarket to get active on it

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
That was my assumption. From what I researched it’s only used in the JL and JT. Hopefully there will be enough demand for the aftermarket to get active on it
Not trying to be negative, but I highly doubt that someone would develop a heavier duty manual transmission for the JL/JT only. Every V8 swap I’ve ever seen with them uses an automatic transmission. You’d have to find another manual transmission that’s heavier duty and would work in this alliance do a lot of fabrication.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Occupation
Engineer
Not trying to be negative, but I highly doubt that someone would develop a heavier duty manual transmission for the JL/JT only. Every V8 swap I’ve ever seen with them uses an automatic transmission. You’d have to find another manual transmission that’s heavier duty and would work in this alliance do a lot of fabrication.
https://www.clevelandpap.com/jeep-r...nual-trans-15k-fox-shocks-lifted-nav-hardtop/

Going to have to disagree there. The nature of an engine swap is opting for a configuration not offered by the manufacturer. Once someone decides to undergo a full engine swap, selecting a manual to pair it with becomes way less of an issue. Both the Hemi and LS motor lines have multiple M/T options from the factory, and a strong aftermarket of adapter plates and harnesses for other configurations.

I am newer to the 3.6 pentastar, and it’s not exactly the first choice for “hot rod” applications. It is used in many applications so I haven’t yet researched those communities to see what they have already figured out. Probably not much as the 3.6 is a base engine in most other applications, but that’s why I started this thread.

the best bet may be to find a good transmission shop to do some work on the AL6, or just see how long clutches last and have the dealer replace them under warranty

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
That’s a link to a Jk V8 swap. I was talking about the JL/JT. Maybe some have been done, that would be awesome, but I’ve never seen one.

I’m pretty sure your clutch warranty is 12k miles and not 5yr/60k.

OP
OP
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Occupation
Engineer
That’s a link to a Jk V8 swap. I was talking about the JL/JT. Maybe some have been done, that would be awesome, but I’ve never seen one.

I’m pretty sure your clutch warranty is 12k miles and not 5yr/60k.
The dealer I buy from includes a lifetime power train warranty on all trucks and suvs so I’m hoping that is covered

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
The dealer I buy from includes a lifetime power train warranty on all trucks and suvs so I’m hoping that is covered
Highly doubt it. It’s always been considered a wear item. Even when Jeep had their lifetime Powertrain warranty. My 08 JKU Rubicon was a 6 speed and my clutch was not covered under the warranty. IIRC it was 1yr/12k

btw I’m from GA, Go Dawgs! Hopefully you’re a fan... lol

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The 8 speed auto helps the 3.6 pentastar tremendously for towing and general performance. I have driven manuals most of my life, but would not get a manual JT. If you do, get the South Bend clutch modification. I prefer it to the Centerforce which has a huge, very heavy flywheel.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Occupation
Engineer
Highly doubt it. It’s always been considered a wear item. Even when Jeep had their lifetime Powertrain warranty. My 08 JKU Rubicon was a 6 speed and my clutch was not covered under the warranty. IIRC it was 1yr/12k

btw I’m from GA, Go Dawgs! Hopefully you’re a fan... lol
Go DAWGS! Big fan here, first upgrade to the JT will be a “G” license plate

OP
OP
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Occupation
Engineer
The 8 speed auto helps the 3.6 pentastar tremendously for towing and general performance. I have driven manuals most of my life, but would not get a manual JT. If you do, get the South Bend clutch modification. I prefer it to the Centerforce which has a huge, very heavy flywheel.
Thanks! This is what I was looking for

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
The 6 speed manual isn’t strong enough for heavy towing or torque. Notice Jeep isn’t offering a diesel with the manual.

I love a manual myself, but when they perfected the current autos with all of those gears, there isn’t a comparison between the two for performance. The German engineered JT 8 speed auto is fantastic! I think I remember reading an article recently that said the 8 speed JT auto was strong enough for up to 700 ft lbs.

Deleted member 30519

I love driving my 6 speed JT. I don't tow but I was pondering the idea of super chargering it down the road. I had a 18 JL with the 8spd auto and the difference for me was night and day. I don't do highway driving though and mostly back country windy inclines and I have to say the 6 speed wins in 3rd gear when the 8spd was sluggish in searching around heavy grades and corners @ 25 to 45mph. Just my opinion.

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
I think re-gearing would make the manual work better when towing and in general. Something like 4.56s with 33’s would be a good combination I would think. Rpms will be a bit high on the highway but not that bad. Basically the same as running fifth gear When all stock (on a rubicon).

It is a lot of expense for a small gain though. I guess you could put some sport sized tires on a rubicon for a similar effect but that wouldn’t look too great.
Sponsored