Rubicon Steel Bumper Skid Plate

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Just picked up a Rubicon steel bumper for my Sport S. Quadratec has the steel skid plate for $139–and a “kit” that includes plate, brackets, screws, etc for $259. Looks like the extras in the kit are the two brackets, 4 nutserts, 4 bolts for the brackets, and 7 screws to attach the plate. I can buy these individually for $55 from Quadratec. The extra cost of the kit is $120. Am I missing something? Is there something else in the kit that I need? Hoping someone else has been through this. Thx.
Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Just picked up a Rubicon steel bumper for my Sport S. Quadratec has the steel skid plate for $139–and a “kit” that includes plate, brackets, screws, etc for $259. Looks like the extras in the kit are the two brackets, 4 nutserts, 4 bolts for the brackets, and 7 screws to attach the plate. I can buy these individually for $55 from Quadratec. The extra cost of the kit is $120. Am I missing something? Is there something else in the kit that I need? Hoping someone else has been through this. Thx.
Providing links to things you discuss is beneficial for us. But I agree, why buy the kit when you can piece part it at the dealer for much less. Doubt you're missing anything.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Am i missing something? I put the skid plate on with no brackets I just took off the old one off and bolted the new one one. Lol did I mess up?!
I have a JTR not a sport, is that why?

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enginerd
Am i missing something? I put the skid plate on with no brackets I just took off the old one off and bolted the new one one. Lol did I mess up?!
Since you had a Rubicon plastic bumper you may have already had the 2 brackets from the factory that us sport owners need to install in order to properly mount the steel skid.

Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since you had a Rubicon plastic bumper you may have already had the 2 brackets from the factory that us sport owners need to install in order to properly mount the steel skid.
Reverse engineering that logic, can I continue to use the plastic air dam on my Sport with a steel bumper as long as I can get the brackets? Not a permanent solution, but better than nothing.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enginerd
Reverse engineering that logic, can I continue to use the plastic air dam on my Sport with a steel bumper as long as I can get the brackets? Not a permanent solution, but better than nothing.
I'm personally not familiar with how the Rubicon plastic skid/air dam mounts up, but I'm guessing that it would bolt differently to the rubi plastic front bumper than it would to the steel front bumper. I'll let others comment on that though.

JT850

First Name
Derp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2006 TJ Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
spend money I dont have on my jeep
I'm personally not familiar with how the Rubicon plastic skid/air dam mounts up, but I'm guessing that it would bolt differently to the rubi plastic front bumper than it would to the steel front bumper. I'll let others comment on that though.
I went from plastic bumper to steel on a rubicon and I had to use a couple washer to create about a 1/4" gap for clearance between the skid and bumper. There's probably a better way to mitigate the issue, but its worked fine for me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have the steel skid plate that didn't attach to the bumper, and then put on the steel bumper and skid plate that bolts to the bumper?
If you, you already had the lower brackets and the uppers were extras, not used.

You are missing something for sure - such as stating what did you take off and what did you put on (there are TWO versions of the steel skid plate) and what BUMPER you had and have.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I went from plastic bumper to steel on a rubicon and I had to use a couple washer to create about a 1/4" gap for clearance between the skid and bumper. There's probably a better way to mitigate the issue, but its worked fine for me.
Because you went steel bumper but did not use the skid plate intended for the steel bumper. You kept the other version - used with the plastic bumper.
There's a different skid plate for steel bumpers - and it bolts to the bumper.

This is my steel bumper and steel skid plate FOR the steel bumper. Bumper is what you see on the left, skid plate is what you see on the right, the middle is where the skid plate bolts to the bumper.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Steel Bumper Skid Plate 20201016_115731_HDR

Sponsored

JT850

First Name
Derp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2006 TJ Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
spend money I dont have on my jeep
Because you went steel bumper but did not use the skid plate intended for the steel bumper. You kept the other version - used with the plastic bumper.
There's a different skid plate for steel bumpers - and it bolts to the bumper.

This is my steel bumper and steel skid plate FOR the steel bumper. Bumper is what you see on the left, skid plate is what you see on the right, the middle is where the skid plate bolts to the bumper.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Steel Bumper Skid Plate 20201016_115731_HDR
Yea for sure it isn't the steel bumper compatible plate....but for now washers work for me.

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Did you have the steel skid plate that didn't attach to the bumper, and then put on the steel bumper and skid plate that bolts to the bumper?
If you, you already had the lower brackets and the uppers were extras, not used.

You are missing something for sure - such as stating what did you take off and what did you put on (there are TWO versions of the steel skid plate) and what BUMPER you had and have.
Ah that makes more sense. Yeah I had the steel skid plate that didn’t attach to the bumper once I bought the steel bumper it came with the skid plate that attached to the bumper.
Lol thanks for clarifying I thought I missed something and it might be on wrong.

OP
OP
Punknhead

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Providing links to things you discuss is beneficial for us. But I agree, why buy the kit when you can piece part it at the dealer for much less. Doubt you're missing anything.
Thank you

OP
OP
Punknhead

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
BINGO! The collateral stuff is already on the Rubicons.

Sponsored