Steel 3 piece bumper skid plate(s) -UPDATED now with happy ending

wch_Chip

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I ordered my Rubi with the PPOS bumper and the dealer installed a 3-piece steel bumper that they ordered separately from Mopar. Listed below are all of the parts that were eventually needed. The Service Manager at the dealership had initially insisted that all we needed was the 3-piece steel bumper assembly (Part # 8221512AB), despite the questions I asked based on what I'd been reading on this very same forum thread. I even called and sent an email to Jeep Customer Care to confirm whether or not any additional parts were needed, and they advised me that my dealership had provided me with the correct info. As it turns out, they were all wrong. We did need to order a few more parts in addition to the actual bumper assembly. They are listed below.

1 x 8221512AB - 3-piece Steel Front Bumper
1 x 68293984AB - Skid Plate - Front
7 x 6512587AA - Screw
1 x 6BU43RXFAB - Closeout Panel
1 x 68295610AA - Plate Kit (ONLY if your state requires a front license plate - mine does)

Hope this helps someone!

82215121AB is the bumper part number.
Sponsored

StingyJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
That would be a good lick on $900 worth of stuff..!
The discount is capped at $20, so I split up my order into 2. One for the bumper and other for skid/parts. That saved me about $27. I’ll take it.

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
If anyone is needing the skid plate brackets, I ordered 2 Passenger side brackets by mistake! Yikes...

So I have an extra right side Skid Plate bracket for anyone making the swap..

Pay the shipping and I'll send it your way... Just PM me your info...

Gladiator Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR
If anyone is needing the skid plate brackets, I ordered 2 Passenger side brackets by mistake! Yikes...

So I have an extra right side Skid Plate bracket for anyone making the swap..

Pay the shipping and I'll send it your way... Just PM me your info...
What brackets did you need? Want to make sure I didn’t do something wrong, but I had to remove the brackets that were used for the standard rubicon skid plate because they didn’t fit with the new steel bumper.

Sponsored

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
What brackets did you need? Want to make sure I didn’t do something wrong, but I had to remove the brackets that were used for the standard rubicon skid plate because they didn’t fit with the new steel bumper.
I needed the 2 brackets that attach to the frame that connects to the Steel Skid Pan.

I ordered the moly nuts, the 2 frame brackets and bolts...
I somehow ordered the right side bracket twice, and didn't order the left side.

So I reordered the left side and the shipping to return the extra right side is more than the price of the bracket.

So I figured if any of the Sport or Overland members are making the swap, I can save them a few dollars and they can have my extra bracket.

My understanding is the Rubicon models don't need these brackets...

I already installed the bumper, which was straight forward.

I picked up a new take off Steel Bumper from a 2019 Rubicon Wrangler.
Bolted right up with no drilling or modifications.

The moly nuts went right in with no issues, and the correct bracket lined up perfectly.

I also added the Mopar Bull Bar and Light brackets, and Mopar aux lights..

BTW, there are 2 nuts on the frame brackets for something to attach to?

It's not the skid plate, and I have no idea what they would be for..

So far so good...

Gladiator Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR
The standard rubicon brackets definitely don’t fit. I was able to attach it with no bracket, and don’t seem to have any fit issues.

BAE55C35-B349-45E7-AB80-0B6C308F6554.jpeg

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The standard rubicon brackets definitely don’t fit. I was able to attach it with no bracket, and don’t seem to have any fit issues.

Interesting..

You have a plate on the bottom of your frame rail for the plate to attach, which looks like the brackets I bought...

I didn't have any type of bracket on my frame.
The holes were there for the Moly nuts, but no bracket.

The 2 bolts that hold the brackets on are on the inside of the frame rail.

It's possible that bracket was on your Rubicon JT, and not being used, in anticipation of installing the Steel Bumper..
It's also interesting you have to Moly nuts on the outside of the frame rail, which I do not have.

Appreciate the feedback!

Gladiator Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR
Interesting..

You have a plate on the bottom of your frame rail for the plate to attach, which looks like the brackets I bought...

I didn't have any type of bracket on my frame.
The holes were there for the Moly nuts, but no bracket.

The 2 bolts that hold the brackets on are on the inside of the frame rail.

It's possible that bracket was on your Rubicon JT, and not being used, in anticipation of installing the Steel Bumper..
It's also interesting you have to Moly nuts on the outside of the frame rail, which I do not have.

Appreciate the feedback!
The nuts on the outside of the rail that are not being used were from the brackets for the standard skid plate.

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

There is only one (right and left) skid plate bracket, it fits the steel bumper skid plate and the PPOS Rubicon skid plate both.

There is no alternate bracket that I could find, and the original bracket that was delivered with the PPOS did fit correctly when the bumper was installed correctly

Sponsored

Gladiator Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR
There is only one (right and left) skid plate bracket, it fits the steel bumper skid plate and the PPOS Rubicon skid plate both.

There is no alternate bracket that I could find, and the original bracket that was delivered with the PPOS did fit correctly when the bumper was installed correctly
This is the bracket I found online that seems to be what is needed for steel skid plate.

https://www.moparoneonline.com/oem-parts/mopar-bracket-skid-plate-68353836ab

Also attached is a picture of the bracket that came with my rubicon as standard. They are different and the holes on the standard bracket don’t line up with the steel skid plate. You can see the original bracket only has one attach point for the skid plate, while the new bracket has two. It also mounted at a different angle.

So although my installation works by bolting directly to frame, I’m actually only using one of those holes by not having the new bracket. It feels secure enough, but I’ll probably end up ordering it anyway.

412258B2-9647-41E0-96A4-B04067A3D19E.jpeg

35BAAFBC-5E0E-40A1-915D-C56FDF8E08CC.jpeg

1638E80A-0709-466C-B43B-6B5076237076.jpeg

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
This is the bracket I found online that seems to be what is needed for steel skid plate.

https://www.moparoneonline.com/oem-parts/mopar-bracket-skid-plate-68353836ab

Also attached is a picture of the bracket that came with my rubicon as standard. They are different and the holes on the standard bracket don’t line up with the steel skid plate. You can see the original bracket only has one attach point for the skid plate, while the new bracket has two. It also mounted at a different angle.

So although my installation works by bolting directly to frame, I’m actually only using one of those holes by not having the new bracket. It feels secure enough, but I’ll probably end up ordering it anyway.

412258B2-9647-41E0-96A4-B04067A3D19E.jpeg

35BAAFBC-5E0E-40A1-915D-C56FDF8E08CC.jpeg

1638E80A-0709-466C-B43B-6B5076237076.jpeg
That bracket looks like the ones I bought, but mine are a little bigger at the top and have 2 nuts welded on for who knows what...

I also only used the 1 bolt per bracket to attach the skid plate. I also have the bigger hole you show in your picture.

I was thinking this might be for water drainage, not sure... But I didn't put a bolt in it because I don't think it's needed.
2 bolts attach the bracket to the frame, with the Moly nuts inserted, and 2 bolts attached the plate.

My thought was if that other hole was for a bolt, they would have had a welded on nut like the front hole.

And I might be completely wrong.. Either way it's secure and it's not going anywhere..
B1.JPG
B2.JPG

Phinneywood

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I ordered my Rubi with the PPOS bumper and the dealer installed a 3-piece steel bumper that they ordered separately from Mopar. Listed below are all of the parts that were eventually needed. The Service Manager at the dealership had initially insisted that all we needed was the 3-piece steel bumper assembly (Part # 8221512AB), despite the questions I asked based on what I'd been reading on this very same forum thread. I even called and sent an email to Jeep Customer Care to confirm whether or not any additional parts were needed, and they advised me that my dealership had provided me with the correct info. As it turns out, they were all wrong. We did need to order a few more parts in addition to the actual bumper assembly. They are listed below.

1 x 8221512AB - 3-piece Steel Front Bumper
1 x 68293984AB - Skid Plate - Front
7 x 6512587AA - Screw
1 x 6BU43RXFAB - Closeout Panel
1 x 68295610AA - Plate Kit (ONLY if your state requires a front license plate - mine does)

Hope this helps someone!
Are the skid plate and close out panel required, or are they optional and the bumper can be installed fine without them? Thanks!

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

The Rubicon brackets are the only brackets there is.

I also thought they did not fit.

I was wrong.

You'll need to loosen pretty much every bolt on the entire assembly including the 8 that attach the bumper to the frame horns. Then everything will start and tighten up

Gladiator Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR
That bracket looks like the ones I bought, but mine are a little bigger at the top and have 2 nuts welded on for who knows what...

I also only used the 1 bolt per bracket to attach the skid plate. I also have the bigger hole you show in your picture.

I was thinking this might be for water drainage, not sure... But I didn't put a bolt in it because I don't think it's needed.
2 bolts attach the bracket to the frame, with the Moly nuts inserted, and 2 bolts attached the plate.

My thought was if that other hole was for a bolt, they would have had a welded on nut like the front hole.

And I might be completely wrong.. Either way it's secure and it's not going anywhere..
B1.JPG
B2.JPG
What was the part number for your bracket? Were you able to find a diagram that shows installation?
Sponsored