bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
At $8 ea I'll roll the dice, in too deep to give up now!!
Bracket, Skid Plate,
Right - 68353836AA
Left - 68353837AA

The same numbers with AB as a suffix are the same parts, just with some revision.

BAM has them, the search function on that site in mobile sucks ass, but those are the correct numbers. When I ordered mine both were not available in the AB revision, so I've got an AA and an AB coming, but they part numbers cross over so should not be an issue

biggdave92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / 2000 XJ Sport 4x4
So the steel bumper along with the Warn winch carrier does support the winch fairlead, it is all bolted together so winching at angles are no issue. But the skid plate that came with the plastic bumper will not bolt up without major cutting so I'm ordering the skid plate also.

In hindsight I wish I had waited for an aftermarket bumper that I like. After buying the steel bumper at Bam, the Warn winch plate, warn grill guard, and now a skidplate I'm into it for nearly $1300!! It's a decent deal if you get it on the JT when ordered but I feel there are better bumpers available if you're looking to spend $1300 or so
get the 198.00 skid, it comes with brackets and hardware

biggdave92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / 2000 XJ Sport 4x4
also, do the halogen fogs out the plastic bumper fit in the steel bumper?

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
also, do the halogen fogs out the plastic bumper fit in the steel bumper?
Unless it is the same light in a different fixture, no.

Ordering the complete skid kit will definitely get you what you need. If you have your fecal matter coordinated (which I did not) the skid, brackets and 5 necessary screws are much less than $198

ETA : I'm going to harvest the LED fogs out of my PPOS and see if I can repurpose them somehow.

Sponsored

StingyJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Unless it is the same light in a different fixture, no.

Ordering the complete skid kit will definitely get you what you need. If you have your fecal matter coordinated (which I did not) the skid, brackets and 5 necessary screws are much less than $198

ETA : I'm going to harvest the LED fogs out of my PPOS and see if I can repurpose them somehow.
Can you summarize again what's needed for existing Rubicon with PPOS? Is the following correct?
  • Steel Bumper - 82215121AB
  • Skid Plate - 68293984AB
  • 2 Brackets - 68353836AA, 68353837AA
  • 5 bolts - 6509215AA
  • Plastic Filler - 6BU43RXFAB

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Can you summarize again what's needed for existing Rubicon with PPOS? Is the following correct?
  • 5 bolts - 6509215AA
Without verifying your part number transcription, that is correct.

If you order the stubby bumper without end caps you'll need some filler screws, but if that is the full bumper you will not

USMC1802

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon
Without verifying your part number transcription, that is correct.

If you order the stubby bumper without end caps you'll need some filler screws, but if that is the full bumper you will not
This is very helpful, thank you. I ordered mine with the PPOS and the dealer ordered the steel bumper separately through Mopar (and will do the install at no additional cost). According to them, no additional parts will be needed. I shared this info with them and they insist that no other parts will be needed aside from the 3-piece bumper. The vehicle is in a JS status as of this morning, so I guess we won’t be able to resolve this until the vehicle ships and arrives at my dealership!

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
This is very helpful, thank you. I ordered mine with the PPOS and the dealer ordered the steel bumper separately through Mopar (and will do the install at no additional cost). According to them, no additional parts will be needed. I shared this info with them and they insist that no other parts will be needed aside from the 3-piece bumper. The vehicle is in a JS status as of this morning, so I guess we won’t be able to resolve this until the vehicle ships and arrives at my dealership!
At one time not long ago, I would have agreed with your dealer. Today I can say with relative certainty that he is incorrect. The PPOS skid will be jammed up against the steel bumper in two places, and a gap elsewhere. The brackets are definitely not the same, he will definitely need the bolts to attach the correct skid, and the filler piece between the bumper and grille is definitely wrong.

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
At $8 ea I'll roll the dice, in too deep to give up now!!
  • 5 bolts - 6509215AA
These brackets are the same brackets that come with the PPOS and are about 3/4" too short to reach the skid pan when it is properly connected to the bumper.

They are the only bracket numbers I can find, and are clearly incorrect. Unless someone can find the correct bracket numbers I'm going to get out the welder.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Happy ending and time for some humility.

The brackets that come with the PPOS ARE the correct brackets.

I have searched high and low for a different part number for the frame to skid lower mounting bracket. A guy on another forum who has access to the FCA full parts list has looked, sent me diagrams, looked up LE VIN#'s trying to find a different bracket and it simply does not exist.

Faced with that information I again went and laid on the creeper looking, measuring, sweating, and using a level of profanity no civilized man should utter. There was a measured 1 5/16" gap between the skid and the bracket, a HUGE gap, much wider than any attaching bolt is long and the threaded hole in the bracket more than an inch out of visible alignment with the bolt hole in the skid pan. .

So in a final act of what I suppose could be called desperation, I loosened every bolt and nut in the entire assembly including the main frame to bumper bracket which I had previously not touched , until there was only 3 turns on any fastener, yanked forward on the top of the bumper and loaded myself onto the creeper.

The pan is sitting on the bracket and the threaded hole is a half moon exposure in the pan bolt hole. I put a pinch bar in the hole immediately in front of the mounting hole and pulled them into alignment, the skid bolts threading easily for half their length. Then I went around and snugged everything, and then final tightened. The entire assembly is tight as a drum head as it should be.

Happy ending,
In summary If you have a Rubicon with PPOS bumper and you want the OEM steel bumper you will need:
Bumper
Skid
5 bolts from pan to bumper
Close out panel

If you don't have a Rubicon:
Bumper
Skid pan kit with brackets, bolts, rivnuts
Close out panel

All the part numbers and links are posted earlier in this thread, I'm tired and lazy, maybe I'll update this post later with them, but not right now.

Feeling like a dumb ass, but I won, maybe this will help some of you not make the same mistakes.

kvincent

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Glatiator Rubicon
Occupation
Programmer
This thread has been really, really helpful and I appreciate all the effort. I ordered my JTR when the steel bumpers were unavailable and only around $600. Little did I know...

I have a question, though. Does anyone know what the difference is between Mopar skids 68293984AB with an MSRP of $167 and 82215183 with an MSRP of $245? They both have descriptions saying they are the Rubicon skid plate. This thread seems to like 68293984AB with an MSRP of $167.

Also, the descriptions at Quadratec and BAMs always say these skids come on the Rubicon, but since mine will arrive this weekend with the PPOS, it will not have the correct skid and I will need to order, right?

Thanks again,

Kerry

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
This thread has been really, really helpful and I appreciate all the effort. I ordered my JTR when the steel bumpers were unavailable and only around $600. Little did I know...

I have a question, though. Does anyone know what the difference is between Mopar skids 68293984AB with an MSRP of $167 and 82215183 with an MSRP of $245? They both have descriptions saying they are the Rubicon skid plate. This thread seems to like 68293984AB with an MSRP of $167.

Also, the descriptions at Quadratec and BAMs always say these skids come on the Rubicon, but since mine will arrive this weekend with the PPOS, it will not have the correct skid and I will need to order, right?

Thanks again,

Kerry
The $245 @ Quadratec (and elsewhere) is the skid, brackets, bolts and rivnuts you will need to install on anything but a Rubicon.

If you have a Rubicon you will only need the bumper, skid and 5 bolts to attach the skid to the bumper (lower bracket hardware gets re-used).

There is also a different plastic close out panel that goes between the bumper and grille, I linked that part number earlier in the thread.

BAM has/can get the bumper, skid, bolts and close out panel.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Happy ending,
In summary If you have a Rubicon with PPOS bumper and you want the OEM steel bumper you will need:
Bumper
Skid
5 bolts from pan to bumper
Close out panel
Wait, so no rivnuts? Also, we don't need the close-out panel (but do need the winch plate) if we're actually mounting a winch, right?

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Wait, so no rivnuts? Also, we don't need the close-out panel (but do need the winch plate) if we're actually mounting a winch, right?
The PPOS close out panel does not fit the steel bumper. You don't need the rivnuts because they are already there, that is what the rear lower brackets are attached to.

Yes if you are mounting a winch, you will need a winch plate as well.
Sponsored