bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Too poor for calipers........soent it all on Jeep mods!
LOL, you have a ruler?

Put the plate on a scale?

When you open the hardware package will you send a picture of the two brackets that are included please?

ColdSRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon--2018 Jeep GC Trackhawk--99 Jeep Cherokee
You can't add 4 additional frame connection points and 5 skid/bumper connection points and not gain rigidity in all of the components. The skid is by no means flimsy, and the strength doesn't come from the individual components, it comes from the sum of components. CAD doesn't just make drawing easy.

I'll admit to assigning value to the connection that I cannot substantiate with factory supplied data or design drawing. I will however say that I have assembled/dis assembled and built from scratch enough stuff to say that deflection in the bumper is virtually guaranteed without the skid being integrated in all but a straight pull. The simple fact that the Mopar Performance website dictates that the skid must be used to complete the assembly would seem to substantiate that opinion.

Will the frame horns deflect without it? I don't know for sure, but again Mopar says the skid must be used so I can't see the value in rolling the dice for $125.

I'm not attempting to argue anyone down, I am sharing my opinion and what I have learned from studying these skids and bumper in an effort to help people to complete the job that FCA failed so fundamentally to complete for us.

Anyone who reads this is free to use the skid plate of their choice or none at all, no disagreement from me, your Jeep , your rules.
If it makes you feel any better, I would absolutely be buying that skid plate if I were to get the factory bumper.

LOL, you have a ruler?

Put the plate on a scale?

When you open the hardware package will you send a picture of the two brackets that are included please?
Did you get the brackets for mounting the skid? If you have a Rubicon, they're the same as the ones for the skid plate that comes with the plastic bumper. If needed, here are the part numbers:

Bracket, Skid Plate, Right - 68353836AA
Left - 68353837AA

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
If it makes you feel any better, I would absolutely be buying that skid plate if I were to get the factory bumper.

Did you get the brackets for mounting the skid? If you have a Rubicon, they're the same as the ones for the skid plate that comes with the plastic bumper. If needed, here are the part numbers:

Bracket, Skid Plate, Right - 68353836AA
Left - 68353837AA
Thanks, no I did not buy the brackets because I saw that they were already there (Rubicon) so I ordered just the plate instead of the llate/bracket/bolt kit for twice as much.

Sponsored

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons
I have the 220 dollar one.....it looks identical to the cheaper one.....this I e however comes with the hardware and brackets. The thickness of the steel is similar. Here are the part numbers for the bolts......no numbers for the brackets.........the very last number of the tag indicates number of that item in the package.

20190726_134339.jpg

20190726_134624.jpg

20190726_134413.jpg

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I have the 220 dollar one.....it looks identical to the cheaper one.....this I e however comes with the hardware and brackets. The thickness of the steel is similar. Here are the part numbers for the bolts......no numbers for the brackets.........the very last number of the tag indicates number of that item in the package.

20190726_134339.jpg

20190726_134624.jpg

20190726_134413.jpg

Thanks! 4/32 =.125

For clarity anyone who is installing a steel bumper and skid on an Sport/Sport S/Overland will need everything in this "kit" to complete installation.

If you are installing on a Rubicon with the PPOS (plastic piece of shit) bumper, you will in addition to the bumper need only the skid plate and 4 rivnuts I have linked above.ETA: and 5 bokts/nuts/washers to connect the bumper and skid
Hope this helps and thanks @billyjk7 for the comparative information, very helpful.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
So, my three piece bumper was back-ordered, damn.

BUT, I was not going to use the end caps anyways (and I didn't know you could get them without the end caps.....YOU CAN! And, they are cheaper.

So I am going to do a run down of parts available and needed (some links are generic and can be found cheaper, yes I'm being somewhat lazy):

If you are mounting a 3-piece or stubby (no end caps) steel winch capable bumper on anything but a Rubicon you will need everything found in this package, and you might as well buy it as a package:

https://www.moparonlineperformance.com/product-p/82215183.htm

Bumpers:
3 Piece Steel Winch capable , fits JK, JL, JT (same as 10A, Hard Rock, Rubicon)$776 shipped, best deal I can find, but currently back ordered Part#822151AB.:
https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/o...-wrangler-jl-and-jeep-gladiator-jt-82215121ab

Stubby Steel Winch capable (same as above, but no end caps)$711 shipped, not sure if this is the best price, but it is cheap enough for me. Part#82215120
https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/o...ep-wrangler-jl-and-jeep-gladiator-jt-82215120

If you are mounting on a Rubicon, you will need the following to complete mounting the bumper:

Pick a bumper above

Skid plate 1X, $109 Part#68293984AB
https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-skid-plate-68293984ab

Skid plate screw 5X (connects skid and bumper $1.53 each Part#6509215AA
https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-skid-plate-screw-6509215aa

Rivnut 4X (allows connection to frame horn) $2.12 each Part#6511076AA
https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-nut-6511076aa

Disclaimer: I ordered my skid and bumper and bolts from www.bamwholesaleparts.com , their shipping is dirt cheap, they have been helpful and responsive although unlikey to satiate those in need of immediate gratification. Unless something goes terribly wrong I have been happy with them, if they piss you off or pack sand in your body orifices, it's not my fault , caveat emptor.

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons
Myself and 2 buddies ordered and received the full bumper from Bam.......we must have bought them out! Lol

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Myself and 2 buddies ordered and received the full bumper from Bam.......we must have bought them out! Lol
If the 3 piece had been available I would have bought it, simply because the end caps are worth about $100 each, and i like "options". Reality though is that I wasn't going to use them anyway, and would just be more "stuff" I have to store.

Regardless, you provided the original link to those folks and for that I thank you.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
The more I look into this, the more tempted I am to go with the Warn Elite. It includes an integrated winch plate, and therefore winds up being about $250 cheaper. Plus, I like the looks and it would be more original.
Sponsored