Rusty's Off-road 2" Lift

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
Is anyone running the Rusty's Off-Road 2" lift? I've searched and searched and can't find any threads where someone actually has their JT lift. I had a Rusty's lift on my XJ many years ago and didn't have any issues. And the Rusty's components are made in the USA. They claim the springs were developed with Eibach, so that seems good.

Specifically, I'm interested in their 2 basic lift. I like that it includes adjustable track bars (front and rear) and adjustable front LCA's. It also includes their track bar brace... though I think I would rather use the Synergy version with the sector shaft brace. It doesn't include bump stops or shocks, but I can order those separately. Will probably just do the Fox shocks.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...iator-20/rustys-jt-gladiator-2-basic-kit.html

I called and asked how much actual lift to expect on a non-rubicon model and how much rake it ends with. I'm not entirely convinced with the answer I got from the lady that answered the phone. She said on a Sport it's a true 2" lift, and has about 1/2" of rake. However, most Sport/Overland models have around 1.5" of rake stock. So to end with 1/2" of rake, you have to lift the front 1" more than the rear.. suggesting a 2"/1" lift. But that means if you installed the same lift on a Rubicon model, it would be even less lift. And I find it doubtful they would develop a full spring lift that only gives 1" of lift in the front of a Rubicon model. And I don't think you'd need the include front brake lin extension brackets either at such a small lift height.

My "guess" is that more likely it's a 2" lift over the height of a Rubicon model... much like the Mopar 2" lift. Thus meaning it's more than a 2" lift on my Overland; perhaps closer to a 3"/2" lift. Ultimately, I'm ok with that, considering my other consideration is the Mopar lift. But I just hate having to guess at the actual lift amount. I'm actually more worried with ending up with too much lift as I'm only planning to run 35"s right now.

Any ways, just thought I would check and see if anyone is actually running the lift and could give any feedback.
Sponsored

bshillam

First Name
Bryrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.portlandres.com
Vehicle(s)
Over 60 prior. Current 2001 Isuzu Trooper, 2016 BMW 4 series convertible, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow Stingray
Occupation
Real Estate Broker and Yacht Broker, 503-781-9967
I'll be following this one.

OP
OP
Scruf

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I called Rusty's again and this time got passed to someone in tech support.

So I asked again about the lift height. He said it's a 2" lift relative to a Sport/Overland. But this time said it was basically 2" front and rear, keep the stock rake (not the 1/2" rake previously mentioned). I mentioned that the Rubicon springs are typically 0.75-1.0" taller, so if the kit was used on a Rubicon, is it really only a 1" lift? He said yes, on a Rubicon it would be more like a 1-1.5" lift.

While shocks are optional with the kit, I asked what the compressed and extended lengths were. Front are 16 3/8" - 26 3/8". Rear are 18" - 30". I believe that's inline with the 2-3" lift Fox shocks.

So I'm still kinda torn. My other consideration is the Mopar lift and add an adj front track bar. From what I've read, it seems like the Mopar lift may give closer to a 2.75-3.0" lift on non-Rubicon models. Initially I plan to run 35"s and the Mopar kit is almost too much lift. But I wouldn't have to change much if I wanted to regear and go to 37"s in the future.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
You got a better answer out of rustys then I did. There kit's for the money look to be the best bang for buck. I would probably have their 4" kit if I could get an answer out of what the lift height was based on out of them when I called. Rusty himself had a good conversation with me about it later on facebook, but I had already bought my Clayton by then.

OP
OP
Scruf

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You got a better answer out of rustys then I did. There kit's for the money look to be the best bang for buck. I would probably have their 4" kit if I could get an answer out of what the lift height was based on out of them when I called. Rusty himself had a good conversation with me about it later on facebook, but I had already bought my Clayton by then.
Did you gain any insights from your Facebook conversation with Rusty?

It's surprising that it is such a complete kit (adj LCA, front and rear track bars), if it really only gives 1-1.5"of lift on a Rubicon.

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Did you gain any insights from your Facebook conversation with Rusty?

It's surprising that it is such a complete kit (adj LCA, front and rear track bars), if it really only gives 1-1.5"of lift on a Rubicon.
What I gained is that Rusty knows his shit... I have no doubt that its a good kit, but I would look him up directly. Call & ask for him or look for him on facebook. I dont remember the last name, but its on the facebook gladiator group he is somewhat active.

Cheveyboy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So I asked again about the lift height. He said it's a 2" lift relative to a Sport/Overland. But this time said it was basically 2" front and rear, keep the stock rake (not the 1/2" rake previously mentioned). I mentioned that the Rubicon springs are typically 0.75-1.0" taller, so if the kit was used on a Rubicon, is it really only a 1" lift? He said yes, on a Rubicon it would be more like a 1-1.5" lift.
Unless something has recently changed, the Rubi sits at the same height as the Overland. However the front fenders on the Rubi are cut higher then the Overland. Meaning, spring dimensions are the same between the two and lift heights should be relatively the same. (Tires non withstanding, since the Rubi's are taller)

I'm interested in this kit myself. Someone hurry up and buy it, and report back. :)

OP
OP
Scruf

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unless something has recently changed, the Rubi sits at the same height as the Overland. However the front fenders on the Rubi are cut higher then the Overland. Meaning, spring dimensions are the same between the two and lift heights should be relatively the same. (Tires non withstanding, since the Rubi's are taller)

I'm interested in this kit myself. Someone hurry up and buy it, and report back. :)
while the Rubicon does have higher mounted fenders, the springs are also different. There are quit a few threads going right now on the topic. Generally speaking rubicon springs on a sport/overland are worth 0.75-1.0” if lift. Some companies like JKS specify different amounts of lift for rubicon vs non.

im strongly leaning towards the Rustys lift. But I am the definition of analysis paralysis haha.

sirsamuel764

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I am trying to cut a deal with a stealership down here and am contemplating lifts as well. Like you, I am between the Rusty's and the Mopar. I am probably leaning Rusty's. Hurry up and buy it so I can get your feedback and make a better decision ;)

sirsamuel764

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher

Sponsored

OP
OP
Scruf

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am trying to cut a deal with a stealership down here and am contemplating lifts as well. Like you, I am between the Rusty's and the Mopar. I am probably leaning Rusty's. Hurry up and buy it so I can get your feedback and make a better decision ;)
I'll setup a GoFundMe page... now accepting donations, haha. :)

OP
OP
Scruf

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well I did it.... I just clicked order. So here we go.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I bought a full Rusty's 3" lift for my TJ back in 2008. 8 adjustable arms, front and rear springs.
Complete garbage. Joints on the arms fell apart, and the springs sagged.
I hope his new JT stuff is better than his old TJ stuff, or you will be wasting your money. Good luck.

OP
OP
Scruf

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I bought a full Rusty's 3" lift for my TJ back in 2008. 8 adjustable arms, front and rear springs.
Complete garbage. Joints on the arms fell apart, and the springs sagged.
I hope his new JT stuff is better than his old TJ stuff, or you will be wasting your money. Good luck.
wow, that sounds like a bad experience; i can definitely understand not wanting to use them again.

I certainly hope my experience will be better. They claim the JT springs were developed with Eibach, so hopefully that means something. Either way, I'll share my experience once I get everything installed.