Sad start to a new gladiator

OP
OP

YYCGLADIATOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP GLADIATOR
To answer some of the questions, the other car was a ACURA TL, an older model 2000's.

The other driver was definitely trying to make the red light, most likely over the speed limit and they couldn't stop since pavements were iced. I was just normally driving through the intersection when the light turned green, they hit me when I was already halfway in the intersection. Not sure if any marijuana is involved, I smell that stuff on the road everywhere, so many irresponsible behaviours ever since they legalized it.

Also saw a flipped car the other day, not sure what the hell is going on these days in Canada, I just came back from Europe/Asia.

The car is still at the impound lot, no one working during the holidays, hoping they would total it at market price....these things are selling way over MSRP in the used vehicle market, insurance did say they value it at MSRP so who knows.

Looking at the 392 GLADIATOR if that ever comes to market :)
Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
To answer some of the questions, the other car was a ACURA TL, an older model 2000's.

The other driver was definitely trying to make the red light, most likely over the speed limit and they couldn't stop since pavements were iced. I was just normally driving through the intersection when the light turned green, they hit me when I was already halfway in the intersection. Not sure if any marijuana is involved, I smell that stuff on the road everywhere, so many irresponsible behaviours ever since they legalized it.

Also saw a flipped car the other day, not sure what the hell is going on these days in Canada, I just came back from Europe/Asia.

The car is still at the impound lot, no one working during the holidays, hoping they would total it at market price....these things are selling way over MSRP in the used vehicle market, insurance did say they value it at MSRP so who knows.

Looking at the 392 GLADIATOR if that ever comes to market :)
It all depends on how much $$ it costs to fix frame damage and airbags. I had a 3-month old Kia Sportage that was rear-ended on a 35mph road. Replacement parts hadn't been stocked yet. It cost my insurance $11k to get it fixed. MSRP was $21k.

Because it's new, the JT still holds a lot of its value. And when you add in used car prices, a repaired JT will still fetch a decent amount. Should have bled inside it, then it'd be a biohazard and definitely totaled. ;) sarcasm.

OP
OP

YYCGLADIATOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP GLADIATOR
It all depends on how much $$ it costs to fix frame damage and airbags. I had a 3-month old Kia Sportage that was rear-ended on a 35mph road. Replacement parts hadn't been stocked yet. It cost my insurance $11k to get it fixed. MSRP was $21k.

Because it's new, the JT still holds a lot of its value. And when you add in used car prices, a repaired JT will still fetch a decent amount. Should have bled inside it, then it'd be a biohazard and definitely totaled. ;) sarcasm.
Yeah not sure how its working, been getting advice that if the price is too high they won't total it, so keep the price low as possible, not sure how that works either, market price?

The car totally has COVID, it can't recover haha

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah not sure how its working, been getting advice that if the price is too high they won't total it, so keep the price low as possible, not sure how that works either, market price?

The car totally has COVID, it can't recover haha
You can all but ignore "advice" about a vehicle being totaled or not. It's all speculation based on - well, not experience in law, not experience in the insurance industry, it must be how they feel, emotion, "it looks like", that sort of thing.
Doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks. We can't SEE the damage other than photos. Anyone is basing it on guesses otherwise or "maybes". I worked with officers in the IHP multiple times, multiple accidents - my own, the one that killed my father and totaled his truck, and those where we towed them in and I chatted with what I'd call the forensics people of the patrol. Speed, distance, mass/weight........
I saw my father's Ranger in person, I've a ton of automotive repair experience, I looked that thing over up, down, sideways, under and over and figured - naw, they won't total this. They did - but when I reviewed Iowa law on the matter and did the real math (not just guessing), I see why. On the other hand, I'd bet that thing ended up at Sam's salvage and has been rebuilt already because they also own scrap yards and can go pick and pull parts right out of their own lot to fix it.
You actually have little to say about it unless you can prove it did or did not have certain equipment - like I did with Dad's Ranger. I proved actual miles, I proved service records and I finally convinced them it DID have the factory to package and it WAS a short wheel base (which with that year Ranger made a couple grand difference in resale value!. Short wheel base was worth a lot more)

See what laws exist in your area as far as the threshold for totaling a vehicle if your area has such laws. That way if necessary you can show them you aren't just another rube or kid with his first truck.
Skip the advice as to whether or not it should be totaled. My bet is that those giving it haven't been under it, haven't read your policy and haven't looked up your laws there where you live (and no offense, but many aren't even mechanics)
I

OP
OP

YYCGLADIATOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP GLADIATOR
Update from insurance, looks like I will be getting an offer? With used Jeep prices being so skyrocket high, wondering if I will be getting market value. Usually used prices are lower than MSRP but with the pandemic its reversed. Anyone have experience with it recently?

Thanks !

After reviewing your file , your vehicle may be deemed to be a total loss.

Once vehicle is reviewed by our Appraiser, within 3-5 business days a total loss appraiser will complete research on your vehicle and will call you to present you with an offer.

We recommend doing your own research on your make, model and kilometers of your vehicle in the same city or province.

Belongings and plates

Please take some time to remove belongings and plates from the vehicle so that when you speak with the appraiser they can arrange to get your vehicle towed out to limit additional storage charges.

Rental

Please note that unless the maximum has been reached, the rental vehicle is due back same day the first offer is presented so we encourage you to start shopping for another vehicle.

Sponsored

OP
OP

YYCGLADIATOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP GLADIATOR
This was my sister's and USAA fixed this the beginning of 21.

IMG_66791.jpg
Ouch so it looks like the body shop estimate came out and they will fix it since the ACV of these jeeps are way above even the MSRP brand new.

I am just worried about frame damage, engine misalignment axle damage etc, the body shop says its fine but who knows its never the same after an impact like that.

They said frame was dented can be fixed by pushing the dent out, frame not compromised, replace door the shell on driver side, replace airbag sensors module etc.

Total damage is about 17k prelim estimate without taking it apart yet, may have more damage after they take it apart but the shop wants me to approve the fix to insurance before taking it apart.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get more than one estimate? I'd not move without at least a "second opinion".
Hope they looked over transmission, transfer case, engine block and other parts that get cracked in this sort of accident........... I also assume they have all of the structural measurements as far as frame and other parts to ensure it's not twisted a bit. I've seen repairs made on vehicles and forever they can't keep a windshield in them.
Your call, your state's laws, your policy - but if it were mine, since you are posting in public I assume open to public comment - I'd not let anyone do a thing without at least two experts looking it over - two estimates.
If I approved repairs, I'd also want a top end on the cost - I'd tell them I approve it but you can't go above this amount, otherwise you are admitting you haven't really considered all contingencies.

OP
OP

YYCGLADIATOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP GLADIATOR
Did you get more than one estimate? I'd not move without at least a "second opinion".
Hope they looked over transmission, transfer case, engine block and other parts that get cracked in this sort of accident........... I also assume they have all of the structural measurements as far as frame and other parts to ensure it's not twisted a bit. I've seen repairs made on vehicles and forever they can't keep a windshield in them.
Your call, your state's laws, your policy - but if it were mine, since you are posting in public I assume open to public comment - I'd not let anyone do a thing without at least two experts looking it over - two estimates.
If I approved repairs, I'd also want a top end on the cost - I'd tell them I approve it but you can't go above this amount, otherwise you are admitting you haven't really considered all contingencies.
One from insurance appraiser and another in a body shop. It is a bit inconvenient to tow the car around city to shop around for estimates since each shop needs to take it apart to see. I took it to insurance approved shop though it would take a week for them to appraise it so I moved it to a shop that usually works on imports and more luxury german vehicles. From this shop they said everything will be fixed according to manufacturer specs even better. This shop is not on my insurance recommended im thinking cause they use higher quality paints equipment etc so insurance has to pay more for repairs.

Should be public knowledge, sharing my experience thus far, thanks for the great help ! Ill mention those things to the current body shop to check, they did mention they wont do a teardown until they get repairs approval since they have to put it back if I decide not to go with them

Sponge60

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Putter outer of fire
I hate to be "that guy", but this was not your fault. May be time to consult a lawyer to protect your interests. Given the value of your JT pre-crash, the amount of damage that is clear, and hidden issues that may pop up down the road, it may be a good idea to at least get a consultation. The other driver's insurance will probably do the very least they can for you. You shouldn't have to suffer the consequences of someone else's actions.

Most importantly, glad you were not seriously injured.

One from insurance appraiser and another in a body shop. It is a bit inconvenient to tow the car around city to shop around for estimates since each shop needs to take it apart to see. I took it to insurance approved shop though it would take a week for them to appraise it so I moved it to a shop that usually works on imports and more luxury german vehicles. From this shop they said everything will be fixed according to manufacturer specs even better. This shop is not on my insurance recommended im thinking cause they use higher quality paints equipment etc so insurance has to pay more for repairs.

Should be public knowledge, sharing my experience thus far, thanks for the great help ! Ill mention those things to the current body shop to check, they did mention they wont do a teardown until they get repairs approval since they have to put it back if I decide not to go with them

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming he has underinsured and uninsured................. he doesn't really have to fight much as his insurance company will make very sure he's taken care of. Went through that with my father's truck when he was killed by the sleeping driver. If the other party doesn't have great insurance, his company steps in and recovers the difference between what the other insurance covers or offers by looking at their assets. The other party, in this case, had a 25,000 limit - hardly covers the vehicle and Dad's death (the trouble is, the other party was recent to the country and had zero assets and the kid had a minimum wage job)

Sponsored

OP
OP

YYCGLADIATOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP GLADIATOR
Thanks for the great and helpful comments I appreciate and read all of them ! I heard how scary side impact collisions are, luckily the JEEP I purchased came with bigger tires and I think it may have been lifted, which is why the cab frame at the bottom is so heavily damaged.

So it will look like it needs to be repaired, bringing it to a JEEP MOPAR certified repair shop and hopefully they can get everything sorted out including axle damage, transmission, engine brackets etc.

The next question is, should I keep it after it's fixed in about a month or two or sell it in this hotly overinflated used market?

OP
OP

YYCGLADIATOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP GLADIATOR
Was secretly hoping it would have been a write off so I could wait for the new 4xE Gladiator :)

Moose95

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Overland; 2018 Colorado Z71
Now that it is going to be repaired, you should look into filing a "diminished value" claim with the insurance company. No matter how well it is repaired, the Gladiator's trade-in or resale value is going to be reduced because it was in an accident.

I am not sure how it works in Canada, but I was able to get about $2000 in addition to having my Chevy pickup repaired when it was hit in the right front corner a few years ago. I went to several websites like Carvana and plugged in my vehicle information both with and without stating it was in an accident, and there was about $2k or $3k difference in value (once it is repaired, the accident would show up in CARFAX). I then called the insurance company and told them I wanted to file a claim, and after a few days they came back with an offer that was on the low end. I countered based on my research, and got about $500 more, but still not at the top end of the diminished value. Still, it was better than nothing, and will make up some of the difference when I do sell it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming it does show up in carfax. There's no guarantee. Still worth going after diminished value because anyone like me could tell by a good investigation that it's been repaired.
carfax is hit and miss, though. There's no rules that say it has to be reported and not all shops participate (many independents don't)
Sponsored