Sponsored

SCAM ALERT! Unsolicited messages/conversations asking you to email someone!

GuyKemp

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Teamster
I would tell anyone that is buying anything from someone online that they should use an escrow service. Also got a response like this from a user saying the same in reply to my wanted soft top ad saying email so and so. When I emailed them about the soft top they said $500 shipped for a premium soft top and it was a dead give away it was a scam. Still yet I would have used an escrow service which in my experience has always sent scammers looking for an easier target.
Hi. I just saw this and I’m glad you had enough sense to reject that offer. Offer Up and Craig’s List are ruined with these scamming imbeciles. With that said I am selling a brand new top on eBay. Check me out, I’m legit. Thanks

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Willys Wagon, 1982 Jeep Scrambler CJ8
Hi. I just saw this and I’m glad you had enough sense to reject that offer. Offer Up and Craig’s List are ruined with these scamming imbeciles. With that said I am selling a brand new top on eBay. Check me out, I’m legit. Thanks
We had the same issue over on an old Willys forum. In addition to more scrutiny, the moderators adjusted the settings to add a minimum posting requirement before a new user can send private messages or view the classifieds. Many recent scammers were joining after slipping through, heading straight to the "wanted" section of the classifieds, and seeing who they could scam.

Just a perspective.

MNGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Power Wagon 2020 Gladiator
Warning to all:

Be wary of any unsolicited messages/conversations you may receive asking you to email someone who has a part for sale. This has become a common scam tactic here and on other forums.

This is commonly how such emails will look. If you should receive such a message, please report it immediately (using the "REPORT" link at the bottom of the message.

robert65-jpg.jpg
Thanks

Sponsored

Scrambler84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel, 2012 JKUR, 1984 Scrambler
Occupation
Network Engineer
Ok got it

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
We had the same issue over on an old Willys forum. In addition to more scrutiny, the moderators adjusted the settings to add a minimum posting requirement before a new user can send private messages or view the classifieds. Many recent scammers were joining after slipping through, heading straight to the "wanted" section of the classifieds, and seeing who they could scam.

Just a perspective.
AMC forum is 30 post minimum for posting sale items and certain other things. We also have a built-in filter that prevents anyone from joining if their IP address or email address is listed on a forum spammer's listing. We can also sort of tell when a non-car person let alone a non-AMC person posts - just a totally different feel to it.
Also have a "cheers and jeers" section where people can tell about great people to deal with - or ones to avoid.

Sponsored

Gladys21

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Warning to all:

Be wary of any unsolicited messages/conversations you may receive asking you to email someone who has a part for sale. This has become a common scam tactic here and on other forums.

This is commonly how such emails will look. If you should receive such a message, please report it immediately (using the "REPORT" link at the bottom of the message.

robert65-jpg.jpg
Got it. Always a good rule to follow.