Sponsored

Scored a nice grille for cheap, will it be ok?

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
So I have a max tow Sport S, and at times I had been debating on picking up a black / satin black grill for my JT.
Well, i ran across a almost brand new black grille online that I scored for change. I had to pick it up. It came off a JL. I wasnt worried about from what, as it was super cheap.
Picked it up, and its mint, brand new still in bubble wrap. Come to find out, it came off a JL Sahara, so it has the grille trim molding and insert trim like the Rubicon's do, BUT apparently the honey comb and inserts are a little different from the JL compared to the JT (or so I hear) with how much air they supposedly let in.
I am thinking I can just swap out my larger honey comb insert from the max tow into the new black grille if need be.
For now, i just threw it on like it is and it looks great, but will cooling really be that drastically affected? Honestly I am not ever hardly towing anything. I may run it for a while and just see if I notice any change in operating temps. Thoughts?
Sponsored

chrismeece74

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S, 2021 Wrangler Freedom Edit
Occupation
Sr Quality Manager
I'd swap out the inserts from your gladiator grill, there's a reason ours are bigger and let more air in.

OP
OP
93civej1

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd swap out the inserts from your gladiator grille there's a reason ours are bigger and let more air in.
ill see if they fit when I get a chance. Im thinking they may
I'd swap out the inserts from your gladiator grill, there's a reason ours are bigger and let more air in.
went out and tried. No dice. Since the sport doesnt have the trim rings and the new grille does, they would not fit. I will have to find or buy some inserts from a rubicon or overland.

OP
OP
93civej1

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
anyone recommend the best priced place for ordering factory parts??

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
anyone recommend the best priced place for ordering factory parts??
AllMoparParts is a Forum Sponsor. If you contact them before ordering, you should be able to get a code for free or reduced shipping.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
How important is having the grille inserts? Up until the JL/JT generation, the grille has always been naked. I always wondered why rocks and road debris weren't a problem before. But our JK has the same 3.6 I have, and it came with no grille inserts. Are they for looks or protection?

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I think the grill openings on the JT are larger, to provide better cooling.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I think the grill openings on the JT are larger, to provide better cooling.
This...and I'm surprised no one mentioned it sooner. The size of the iconic Jeep slots in the grille are larger on the JT. The OP bought a Max Tow (presumably for towing?)...then installed a grille that will limit towing capacity.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
This...and I'm surprised no one mentioned it sooner. The size of the iconic Jeep slots in the grille are larger on the JT. The OP bought a Max Tow (presumably for towing?)...then installed a grille that will limit towing capacity.
Everyone in the JL forum has known this for a while.

Sponsored

OP
OP
93civej1

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AllMoparParts is a Forum Sponsor. If you contact them before ordering, you should be able to get a code for free or reduced shipping.
ah, darn....i should have checked. I already have the stuff on the way from BAM.

OP
OP
93civej1

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honestly, that is not why i bought the max tow. I bought it for the 4.10 gearing mainly / wider axles etc..

OP
OP
93civej1

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everyone in the JL forum has known this for a while.
has anyone actually "tested" this limitation? Or is it just because Jeep said so?
So far I have noticed no difference with the temps, even though I do have the other parts on the way. Towing was not the reason i bought the max tow. I bought it mainly for the 4.10 gearing at the time, and it was in the color I wanted at the time when i was out shopping.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Not that I know of. It’s just a general observation based on measuring the slots. I haven’t seen anything in the JL forum about using the JT grill on a diesel or for another engine to enable better cooling air flow.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
has anyone actually "tested" this limitation? Or is it just because Jeep said so?
"Jeep said so" would be good enough for me. They have engineers who design things a certain way for a reason...not just for $h*ts n giggles. The larger slots on the JT grilles were designed to provide additional cooling, especially for towing. The reason the diesel has a lower tow rating than the gas engine is because of cooling issues. You can only make those iconic 7 slots so big. You will probably not have any issues if you are not towing heavier loads in steep terrain. You will most likely not notice any temperature differences in daily driving. But you have, without any doubt, limited your towing capabilities by installing a JL grille. Jeep will have every right to refuse warranty claims resulting from any issues related to overheating, whether towing or not.
Sponsored