First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I find it interesting you have a problem with the headrest Usually, because I'm always wearing a full brim hat, I notice a head rest that encroaches. But, never had a significant problem in the JT. Much more comfortable than my 2007 JK (but it also doesn't encroach on the hat).
Sponsored

OP
OP
361Sean

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
Thanks for all of the responses. I see I am in the minority and am surprised at that. My biggest issue is the headrest. I can't nod my head back at all. I feel like it is pushing my head toward.
Anyway, thanks again!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all of the responses. I see I am in the minority and am surprised at that. My biggest issue is the headrest. I can't nod my head back at all. I feel like it is pushing my head toward.
Anyway, thanks again!
Everyone is different. The best they can do is design for typical or majority. There are vehicles I am extremely comfortable in, like the JT, the Compass, etc. - and those I am not comfortable in at all - like my Silverado for any long periods. I will say - that changed over time, though. At first I was "ok" with it. Not totally comfortable, but it got worse as I got older and my back got worse.
You aren't weird or anything, just human. I wonder if the vehicles that I can't sit in for long perhaps you'd be very comfortable with.
How BORING if we were all identical, that would be no fun at all.
Just tell folks the headrest gets in your way because you have more brain capacity.
My grandfather used to explain his early baldness thusly - 'you can't grow two crops in the same field' (he was a share-cropper, farm hand)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I find it interesting you have a problem with the headrest Usually, because I'm always wearing a full brim hat, I notice a head rest that encroaches. But, never had a significant problem in the JT. Much more comfortable than my 2007 JK (but it also doesn't encroach on the hat).
I think the full brim hats look cool. Maybe it's because of the memories of my mother's father - we were buds when I was a kid and he usually had a hat on. You don't see that much any more - baseball type caps, often backwards, is the thing. A few years ago a friend from the NY area would attend our car shows/swap meets/races and wear a full straw hat with a wide brim. Kept the sun off his neck and thinning hair. He was the only one. I thought hey, great idea! My hair is like a crop on a sandy hill in a drought year - and these days I don't take the sun like I used to, so the next year, I went to the shows and swap meets with a straw hat and wide brim. Fast forward 3 or 4 years - tell folks "I'm the guy with the straw hat" and you get "that describes half the guys out there.

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
My only complaint is with the headrest also. I have it all the way up but still find it too far forward. I wash it was not angled forward like it is. Other than that the seats are comfortable and I had a 2016 JKUR before the JT.

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I think the full brim hats look cool. Maybe it's because of the memories of my mother's father - we were buds when I was a kid and he usually had a hat on. You don't see that much any more - baseball type caps, often backwards, is the thing. A few years ago a friend from the NY area would attend our car shows/swap meets/races and wear a full straw hat with a wide brim. Kept the sun off his neck and thinning hair. He was the only one. I thought hey, great idea! My hair is like a crop on a sandy hill in a drought year - and these days I don't take the sun like I used to, so the next year, I went to the shows and swap meets with a straw hat and wide brim. Fast forward 3 or 4 years - tell folks "I'm the guy with the straw hat" and you get "that describes half the guys out there.
I tell folks about baseball caps, "You know what they do in baseball when it starts to rain?" "They stop playing." "Exactly. That's what their hat is designed for. But I often can't stop what I do just because of rain. So, I wear a proper hat outdoors."

Anyone who's watched my videos has heard Ray's name before. During this trip just north of the U.S.-Mexican border in Big Bend, TX, he was the only one who didn't have a full-rim hat. He really felt left out, LOL.

West Texas Traverse, Oct 14, Matt's Image, Group Shot at The Other Side of Nowhere.jpg

Now, whenever I get a camera out and point it his direction it's, "Wait, Mark, let me get my hat!" Here we are, at the Arctic Ocean. He'd just taken a Polar Bear Swim, which is why he's in his drawers. Pants didn't matter, but the hat sure did ...

Alaska Trip, May-Jul 16, 7_13567, Mark and Ray at Prudhoe Bay.jpg

BTW: Big Bend is my next trip, and first trip with the Gladiator. Coming up real soon now. :)

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I know your talking about the headrests now but back to the seats being uncomfortable. I too had problems with it until I bought a pair of Tommy Johns, no adjustment needed!

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
An uncomfortable seat can be the difference in keeping or selling a vehicle. Often, it is difficult to assess when you first test drive or purchase, particularly in a vehicle as exciting as the JT.

However, it is your primary interface with the vehicle and it is imperative that it provides an appropriate degree of comfort and support. For me, the seats are fine in fact my wife commented that they are much more comfortable than the seats in her 2019 MB crossover AMG. I agree. If I had the same experience as the OP, I wouldn’t be happy, but I love my Rubi to the point I would find replacements. And that is what it comes down to, how much do you love the truck?

Flea1987

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I just think the seat os too high. Lowered down all the way I still have to tuck my head down to see stop lights and the rearview mirror is in my line of sight.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just think the seat os too high. Lowered down all the way I still have to tuck my head down to see stop lights and the rearview mirror is in my line of sight.
Curious - if I may ask - how tall are you? My son towers over me (I'm about 5'8" on a day my back isn't acting up) I think my son is 6'2" or so - wondering how that compares. I may see how he feels in this truck if I get a chance to see him when I have it (he's in FL, I'm in IA)

Sponsored

REDBEAST

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR
Occupation
Retired
Mine feels great also, no issues here. The lumbar support is adjustable up and down. A four way power seat it is not, but is works great for me.
Cheers
The seat in mine is very comfortable except the adjustable lumbar I find to be too low to be effective so I don't use it much. There is a cushion out there that fills the gap between the tilted headrest and the upright part of the seat and even has JEEP embroidered into it. I got mine on eBay and they work fine for overall support of the neck area.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Overall, I find the seat to be comfy, even after a few hrs. However, they do look a little narrower than seats in other cars or trucks. Hasn't really been an issue for me though, even at 6ft-230pds. I do wish for a little more headroom up top though as I've banged my head once or twice on the roll bar getting in. Wish the seat would maybe go back a little further and that the footwell was wider, but now I feel like I'm nitpicking...

Flea1987

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Curious - if I may ask - how tall are you? My son towers over me (I'm about 5'8" on a day my back isn't acting up) I think my son is 6'2" or so - wondering how that compares. I may see how he feels in this truck if I get a chance to see him when I have it (he's in FL, I'm in IA)
I'm between 5 11 and 6ft. If I lean the seat back it's fine but I dont like the lay down and drive feel.

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
Can you not take the head rest out and turn it around

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Can you not take the head rest out and turn it around
No, looked at that - there are notches in the right side of the posts and latches that correspond to the notches to lock in the height you choose. It won't fit in reverse- at least that's how it LOOKS - I didn't actually try.
If you open the door and just look in, the headrest DOES really lean forward a whole lot at the top, so raising it up a lot could help some folks.
Sponsored