Several stupid questions re: tires/lift

clubmanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If I'm being honest, my Gladiator will never be 'wheeled' or whatever you call it. We go camping, hunting, kayaking where we will certainly be off pavement and gravel.....and occasionally some fairly deep mud where we put-in the kayaks but that's the extent of it. Still, it's a Jeep (my third but first in about 30 years) and I want it to look like one. So....my questions. I have a Gladiator Sport with the 'street' tires.

1. What's the biggest tire I can put on without any modifications?
2. Considering question #1, if it doesn't really create any lift, I think I'd like a small lift as well. Any recommendations?

Not sure if this is a good approach but I see a TON of wheel/tire sets on Facebook taken off of new Rubicons. I assume they will work on my Gladiator easily but want to be sure. A lot of them have the Wildpeak tires which I really liked on my FJ Cruiser TRD. I'll likely stick with 17" rims?

I recognize these are likely very fundamental questions, hence the thread title. In the meantime, I'll try to school myself on this but thought I'd ask for a quick answer if available. Thanks!
Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I ran 35's on my Sport (w/Max Tow) for quite a while before lifting it. If you're not going to be rock crawling, I'd say that should be fine. Then maybe add a spacer lift or 2" Mopar lift for a little extra height.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
35's if you trim the sport s air dam (if you have that) otherwise 35s SHOULD work. Though you will be unhappy with the power loss of the heavier tire. Id just keep weight vs size in mind with tires. You can probably do more of a 285/75 or a 285/85 and be happy with them VS a full 35. Or the Kenda 35x10.5's that are pretty popular on here. They're heavy but not as wide.

I LOVE my 2in iron rock off road spacer lift. It has worked perfectly for me and I have the same general usage as you. Lift has held up great with towing and general usage, no sag and no issues. I have a poly spacer lift years back and it started to sag after a while...so Steel spacers were the ticket as far as I was concerned.

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/Gladiator-2-lift-kit.html

Boostnu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Machinist
Are you wanting to change the rims or stick with stock ones? If sticking with stock ones a 285/70/17 which is around a 33 or a 285/75/17 which is closer to a 34 would be nice. If changing the rims a 315/70/17 or a 35/12.5/17 would be nice. If you don’t do a full lift I’d atleast add a spacer to the front if you go bigger one the tires. Also check into general grabber at/x tires. I have had both the wild peaks and the at/x. The generals are nice for the money.

Boostnu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Machinist
This is a picture of my truck with my old wheels and 315/70/17 no lift. I think you could get away with this setup and a spacer up front.

3117C9FB-C529-431E-84F9-EEB1C7F453D5.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

clubmanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
This is a picture of my truck with my old wheels and 315/70/17 no lift. I think you could get away with this setup and a spacer up front.

Jeep Gladiator Several stupid questions re: tires/lift 3117C9FB-C529-431E-84F9-EEB1C7F453D5
Judging by the picture, I might be able to avoid getting a lift; that seems high enough to suit me I think. No rubbing?

OP
OP

clubmanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
35's if you trim the sport s air dam (if you have that) otherwise 35s SHOULD work. Though you will be unhappy with the power loss of the heavier tire. Id just keep weight vs size in mind with tires. You can probably do more of a 285/75 or a 285/85 and be happy with them VS a full 35. Or the Kenda 35x10.5's that are pretty popular on here. They're heavy but not as wide.

I LOVE my 2in iron rock off road spacer lift. It has worked perfectly for me and I have the same general usage as you. Lift has held up great with towing and general usage, no sag and no issues. I have a poly spacer lift years back and it started to sag after a while...so Steel spacers were the ticket as far as I was concerned.

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/Gladiator-2-lift-kit.html
I doubt I'll need 35's tbh and since I drive a lot to work/home, I don't want an appreciable loss of power, mpg, etc. I know I'm being petty but really just want something 'cooler' than the street tires on the Sport.
Found this locally......thoughts?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...ghtspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

If the link doesn't work.... Bridgestone tires A/T 245/75/17 with 17-Inch x 7.5-Inch Machined Granite Crystal Jeep Wrangler Wheel: they have 2,000 miles on them and the rims/tires are $700

Jeep Gladiator Several stupid questions re: tires/lift 187371258_10219113562646132_285719451982303778_n

Boostnu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Machinist
I would try to go for the rubicon take offs and add 3/4 to 1in spacer in the front. Mine did not rub on the street but you would want a little more clearance in the front for the times you do go Offroad.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt I'll need 35's tbh and since I drive a lot to work/home, I don't want an appreciable loss of power, mpg, etc. I know I'm being petty but really just want something 'cooler' than the street tires on the Sport.
Found this locally......thoughts?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...ghtspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

If the link doesn't work.... Bridgestone tires A/T 245/75/17 with 17-Inch x 7.5-Inch Machined Granite Crystal Jeep Wrangler Wheel: they have 2,000 miles on them and the rims/tires are $700

Jeep Gladiator Several stupid questions re: tires/lift 187371258_10219113562646132_285719451982303778_n
So....funny story...

I got larger tires and realized I lost power and MPG pretty quick. Chalked it up to "its a jeep" and just muddled along. Recently went through a whole process ad landed back at stock, or close.

I JUST last night got 255/75/17 Dueler AT take off from a fella on facebook market. I loved the duelers as my stock tires. Personally, never had a complaint with them.

If you can get a set at a decent price id say theyre worth it for sure. The ones you pictured are the ones with the cool side wall, which is the ONLY thing I regret with the ones I got.

Read through this thread if you want to be entertained by my sorta expensive experiment.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/worth-it-to-go-back.47891/page-4#post-793642

Sponsored

OP
OP

clubmanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So....funny story...

I got larger tires and realized I lost power and MPG pretty quick. Chalked it up to "its a jeep" and just muddled along. Recently went through a whole process ad landed back at stock, or close.

I JUST last night got 255/75/17 Dueler AT take off from a fella on facebook market. I loved the duelers as my stock tires. Personally, never had a complaint with them.

If you can get a set at a decent price id say theyre worth it for sure. The ones you pictured are the ones with the cool side wall, which is the ONLY thing I regret with the ones I got.

Read through this thread if you want to be entertained by my sorta expensive experiment.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/worth-it-to-go-back.47891/page-4#post-793642
Interesting; I did read through a good portion of that thread and you've got me thinking of just staying stock size now! Still, I want a nicer rim/tire and am now considering these....I figure for $500, this should be the ticket.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1017653638991894/

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Do y'all think spending another $150 for the skid plate is worth it?
https://reaperoffroad.com/2020-21-gladiator-skid-plate-immortal-s1/
I had a skid on for a bit but felt like the change in air flow wasnt good for mpg. Ive sorta been on a tare about that lately and with a rubi plastic front bumper and plastic lower air dam I still get 20-22 with the duelers. So id say unless you need a metal front skid, probably not worth it. I cant quite remember well enough to quote but another member said to me when I was talking about the skid and lost mpg, "the jeep is already a brick...why make it less aerodynamic if thats what your after".

The balance between form and function is always hard to find.

But thats just my opinion
Sponsored