Shake Jeep for sway bar disconnect

nacleb41

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
My JT Rubicon started having issues with the sway bar not disconnecting. I took it in and they replaced the motor. I tested it out a few days later and it would not disconnect. My wife took it to the dealer today and they told her that you have to shake the Jeep side to side sometimes to get it to disengage and said it mentions this in the manual..... is that true ?
Sponsored

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Yup. If there is pressure on the dogs in the motor it will not disengage them. Shaking the vehicle from side to side will relieve that pressure, most of the time. Also, you need to have the front axle on rather level ground or it won't work. Or rather, the sway bar should not be bound/torqued in either direction.

Sometimes you need to give her a good shake to get it to reconnect as well. You'll hear a clunk as the dogs settle in to position.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Yeah, it's like manual discos if there is an load on the end links it can be hard to slide them on/off. Easiest remedy is bouncing on the end of the front bumper to get the weight off of the end link and slide it off. Same concept with the auto disco on the rubi.

With my Powerwagon I used to find a little bump or flatter surface and that would normally be enough to get it to disco

OP
OP
nacleb41

nacleb41

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Ah got ya, makes sense. I’ll test it on flat ground and see if it works without assistance.

Saw a video on the new bronco (exodus 4x4) where they disconnected and reconnected the sway bar while one wheel was on a big rock. ... crazy

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ah got ya, makes sense. I’ll test it on flat ground and see if it works without assistance.

Saw a video on the new bronco (exodus 4x4) where they disconnected and reconnected the sway bar while one wheel was on a big rock. ... crazy
I always have to drive slowly for about 30 or 40 feet to get disconnected, does not make any difference if hard top or dirt. Having to get out and bounce on your bumper is ridiculous

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
I tried everything and couldn’t get mine to disconnect
Sponsored