Sponsored

Side steps or not? Or... get steps bed-linered

Underpants

Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
21
Reaction score
10
Location
Indiana
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
Jeep Gladiator Side steps or not? Or... get steps bed-linered 26-08-30 19-16-29 3292


I bought this Jeep with these aftermarket steps/rails. They're faded and it really bugs me. So I got some brand new OEM takeoffs from the local dealer for a dime.

Jeep Gladiator Side steps or not? Or... get steps bed-linered 26-09-06 11-31-48 3333


I prefer the clean look of the OEM rails, but it might end up being annoying. I'm tall but your mom isn't so she needs a hand getting in and out.


Thoughts on getting the steps blasted/coated with something? Or just get a new set that's a little more aesthetic?
Sponsored

 

Jmag92

Member
First Name
Jeff
Joined
Sep 14, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
8
Reaction score
8
Location
Indiana
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Commercial Banking
26-08-30 19-16-29 3292.webp


I bought this Jeep with these aftermarket steps/rails. They're faded and it really bugs me. So I got some brand new OEM takeoffs from the local dealer for a dime.

26-09-06 11-31-48 3333.webp


I prefer the clean look of the OEM rails, but it might end up being annoying. I'm tall but your mom isn't so she needs a hand getting in and out.


Thoughts on getting the steps blasted/coated with something? Or just get a new set that's a little more aesthetic?
I bought aftermarket steps and after a year they faded and had some surface rust. I cleaned them and used some rust remover, then brushed bedliner on them. The results have been very good. They do not slip like they used to and they have stayed looking pretty good.
 

Mad Mac

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 2, 2021
Threads
47
Messages
781
Reaction score
1,392
Location
Far Northwest Deep East Texas in the Dirty South
Website
www.best-motorcycle.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 Wrangler Sahara
A safer cheaper option may be
an RV Step Stool Folding Platform
and be oh so gallant.

Jeep Gladiator Side steps or not? Or... get steps bed-linered ba9b-366044324210.e3d10719fe14a24dd330505d8b51729e


It would also be helpful
for working under the hood,
checking oil and so forth.
Just stow it in the bed
or behind the front seat.
 

sheath

Well-Known Member
First Name
Scott
Joined
Jul 13, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
90
Reaction score
160
Location
Utah
Vehicle(s)
'25 Gladiator Rubicon-X
Good thread! :clap:
Snow and ice makes it important to pick a competent step.
My preference is no steps, but my friend is very short and she has a knee replacement. She can get in great.
Getting out is a bit more work, and I'm concerned with winter conditions.

I really like @Mad Mac's idea, but with better ice/snow grip on the tread.
Nice thing is she waits for me to open the door, so it would be pretty easy to put the step down, then open the door for her.

There is a vendor on here who makes a bolt on step in two heights for the stock Rubicon Rock Rails. They seem well designed, and easy to install/remove (as long as the bolts/nuts are properly "winterized"). Only concern would be twisting the lower leg while getting out.
A separate step minimizes that risk, but requires a pretty flat and firm surface.

Decisions, decisions...
 

Sponsored

kkirsch06

Member
First Name
kevin
Joined
Dec 21, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
10
Reaction score
5
Location
Santa Rosa Ca
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Project Manager
26-08-30 19-16-29 3292.webp


I bought this Jeep with these aftermarket steps/rails. They're faded and it really bugs me. So I got some brand new OEM takeoffs from the local dealer for a dime.

26-09-06 11-31-48 3333.webp


I prefer the clean look of the OEM rails, but it might end up being annoying. I'm tall but your mom isn't so she needs a hand getting in and out.


Thoughts on getting the steps blasted/coated with something? Or just get a new set that's a little more aesthetic?
Good thread! :clap:
Snow and ice makes it important to pick a competent step.
My preference is no steps, but my friend is very short and she has a knee replacement. She can get in great.
Getting out is a bit more work, and I'm concerned with winter conditions.

I really like @Mad Mac's idea, but with better ice/snow grip on the tread.
Nice thing is she waits for me to open the door, so it would be pretty easy to put the step down, then open the door for her.

There is a vendor on here who makes a bolt on step in two heights for the stock Rubicon Rock Rails. They seem well designed, and easy to install/remove (as long as the bolts/nuts are properly "winterized"). Only concern would be twisting the lower leg while getting out.
A separate step minimizes that risk, but requires a pretty flat and firm surface.

Decisions, decisions...
26-08-30 19-16-29 3292.webp


I bought this Jeep with these aftermarket steps/rails. They're faded and it really bugs me. So I got some brand new OEM takeoffs from the local dealer for a dime.

26-09-06 11-31-48 3333.webp


I prefer the clean look of the OEM rails, but it might end up being annoying. I'm tall but your mom isn't so she needs a hand getting in and out.


Thoughts on getting the steps blasted/coated with something? Or just get a new set that's a little more aesthetic?
I have stock Rubicon Rock sliders and purchased IAG removable drop steps. That way I can take them off when going off road and want the clearance. Well made and easy to put on and off.
 

rbroncotx

Active Member
First Name
Rob
Joined
Jul 14, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
44
Reaction score
33
Location
TX
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2021, Jeep 2024
Never ran steps on mine, tub height's fine for me. If I added them, grip in ice/snow would matter more than looks -- that's where a lot of the aftermarket options fall short.
 

sheath

Well-Known Member
First Name
Scott
Joined
Jul 13, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
90
Reaction score
160
Location
Utah
Vehicle(s)
'25 Gladiator Rubicon-X

HeyThereNow

New Member
First Name
JC
Joined
Jun 24, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Dallas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 1982 CJ7
This is exactly what I have in my Mojave for the wife. Tied a cord around it so she can pull it up behind her.

A safer cheaper option may be
an RV Step Stool Folding Platform
and be oh so gallant.

ba9b-366044324210.e3d10719fe14a24dd330505d8b51729e.jpg


It would also be helpful
for working under the hood,
checking oil and so forth.
Just stow it in the bed
or behind the front seat.
 

Sponsored

33Jayman

Active Member
First Name
JAY
Joined
Jul 5, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
39
Reaction score
27
Location
MI
Vehicle(s)
JK 2DR, Mojave Gladiator and a Subaru
Occupation
Manufacturing Manager
We went with the Nexgen steps. They are not cheap by any means but they are solid.
Jeep Gladiator Side steps or not? Or... get steps bed-linered 1789133530081-08
 
OP
OP

Underpants

Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
21
Reaction score
10
Location
Indiana
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
Honestly for your rig, I like the side steps. Hit that up with some bedliner and call it a day!
I like them too, just an eye sore because they're faded. I have a local sand blast shop near me. I'll see if they can blast'em and I'll shoot them with raptor liner or something.
 

WambliSka

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2022
Threads
14
Messages
546
Reaction score
1,084
Location
Nevada by the Grace of God 😎
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave X ‘26
Occupation
International Business Development
After a lot of research I’m a HUGE fan of this model of Hooke Road Steps/Rock guards. Just installed a set on my new Mojave. Same set I had on my ‘22 Overland. The last ones survived 2 years of pretty serious off-road use without even a paint chip missing. And THIS design gives you steps, rock guards and they do NOT rob you of clearance under your belly or snag/crunch steps on trail stuff. Bonus, it’s impossible for anyone to slam their doors into yours in a parking lot with these on but I’ve seen some get nasty dents on their doors when they hit these, their fault not mine. Love them as much as my short wife does!!!
Jeep Gladiator Side steps or not? Or... get steps bed-linered IMG_9103
Jeep Gladiator Side steps or not? Or... get steps bed-linered IMG_9104
Jeep Gladiator Side steps or not? Or... get steps bed-linered IMG_9105
Jeep Gladiator Side steps or not? Or... get steps bed-linered IMG_9106
 

WambliSka

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2022
Threads
14
Messages
546
Reaction score
1,084
Location
Nevada by the Grace of God 😎
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave X ‘26
Occupation
International Business Development
I like them too, just an eye sore because they're faded. I have a local sand blast shop near me. I'll see if they can blast'em and I'll shoot them with raptor liner or something.
Probably cheaper better to buy new ones.
Sponsored

 
 







Top