First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2003 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
Rusty’s rear frame-side control arm skids are a must if you’re rock crawling.
Saw your post regarding the Rusty’s LCA skid plates. Did you install them yourself? If so how did that go? My JTR has 37s with a 2.5” lift. While I will not be doing heavy duty rock crawling, but mainly trails with obstacles, the LCA skids should be cheap insurance.
Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Saw your post regarding the Rusty’s LCA skid plates. Did you install them yourself? If so how did that go? My JTR has 37s with a 2.5” lift. While I will not be doing heavy duty rock crawling, but mainly trails with obstacles, the LCA skids should be cheap insurance.
Gmanjeeper, I installed Rusty's LCA skids on mine also. I called and talked to one of their techs first and was told they have had no problem doing them on the floor and never had to drill, slot the front hole. The install did go as planned except I did wind up slotting the front hole about a half inch in each skid, no big deal with a good drill bit and the bolt washer covers it when installed. I didn't have any problems dropping the control arm and having it line back up like some have. I was on a flat surface and did one at a time and did have a floor jack on the ready just in case, but was not needed.

StingyJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Gmanjeeper, I installed Rusty's LCA skids on mine also. I called and talked to one of their techs first and was told they have had no problem doing them on the floor and never had to drill, slot the front hole. The install did go as planned except I did wind up slotting the front hole about a half inch in each skid, no big deal with a good drill bit and the bolt washer covers it when installed. I didn't have any problems dropping the control arm and having it line back up like some have. I was on a flat surface and did one at a time and did have a floor jack on the ready just in case, but was not needed.
I started front support bolt by hand loosely because the nut is inaccessible when skid in place. Then started control arm bolt (had to thread it in a bit because it was snug) followed by rear support bolt. Nuts have self retention so you don’t need to hold them when tightening bolt.

6348E2CD-E29B-4F32-B803-803C88FA179E.jpeg

StingyJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Just based on the gouges on my YJ's leaf spring skidplates and having ripped off the same rear shock mount TWICE, I've added a lot of small plates to suspension bits under our JTR. When I slide a wheel off a rock sideways and hit a skidplate instead of a leaf spring bracket, it makes me feel better.

Rusty's rear upper LCA skid was first, then the Rock Hard front and rear lower LCA brackets and rear shock skid. Also a FAD plate, the factory thought it needed a skid plate but it's not very strong. Just got the MetalCloak rear diff skid on Friday while we were out of town, neighbor stashed it in their garage for us. Goes with the front diff skid, which requires the MC diff cover.

The only visible bit, once they get here, is going to be the ACE sliders that fit under the factory rocksliders - the offset outboard will help cut down the body dings.

All the drivetrain stuff LOOKS exposed, but jeeze, I've never had a problem on my YJ. I don't expect to do as much stupid with the JTR, anyway.

Edit to add: As pickups are ass draggers offroad, I also have a hack job receiver skid
Jeep Gladiator Skids plates for JTR 6348E2CD-E29B-4F32-B803-803C88FA179E
Did you get longer bolts for the Rockhard shock and axle side control arm skids?
Digging the hitch skid. I want one of those.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Had to get longer bolts for the shock skid, the control arm skids came with longer bolts (feedback from customers I presume). They were a booger to get torqued hard enough to not rattle, hate to use an air gun on something that's got a torque spec, but oh well.

Have aluminum oil/trans/t-case skids on order from Israel, not sure when they will arrive. The goal is not to grind over rocks, it's just to avoid ripping the transmission fluid lines off by accidental contact.

Did you get longer bolts for the Rockhard shock and axle side control arm skids?
Digging the hitch skid. I want one of those.

Sponsored

StingyJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Had to get longer bolts for the shock skid, the control arm skids came with longer bolts (feedback from customers I presume). They were a booger to get torqued hard enough to not rattle, hate to use an air gun on something that's got a torque spec, but oh well.

Have aluminum oil/trans/t-case skids on order from Israel, not sure when they will arrive. The goal is not to grind over rocks, it's just to avoid ripping the transmission fluid lines off by accidental contact.
Thanks! What size of shock bolts did you get? I’m more familiar with SAE bolt sizing than metric. Guessing those shock bolts are m12.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
It was more than 48 hrs ago, I don't recollect. Someone posted the frustration of having to replace ALL the bolts, but the later LCA plates came with longer bolts, so I only noted the shock bolts.

As to where that note may be?

Thanks! What size of shock bolts did you get? I’m more familiar with SAE bolt sizing than metric. Guessing those shock bolts are m12.

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. Have you done any other skids? Do you have a lift and bigger tires?

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
use an air gun on something that's got a torque spec, but oh well.

Thanks.

Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Are the red skids for the rear shocks. What brand and were they fairly easy to install?
The rear skids are red from rancho, expensive but licked the way they mounted with the second bolt and they were a Christmas gift. Installation very eazy came with all new hardware, did have to trim the lower part of the the plastic shield on the fox shocks but just an eazy notch cut was all it needed

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
SO HERES A LIST OF STUFF THATS GOOD YALL
I personally got these products some i dont

*ASFIR Offroad Engine/transmission skid Must have (owned and installed)
best lifesaver for me man cause ive came so close to hitting my pan oil tranny lines
http://www.asfir.com/Jeep-Gladiator/541155

*ASFIR T-Case skid And gastank skid(Optional,heres the link to their other stuff)
http://www.asfir.com/our-products/skid_plates?manufacturer_id=1&car_model_id=236

*Rustys offroad Lca skidplate (Owned...not installed yet) And
So these damn things.......ahhhh none of the holes lined up and i dont plan on returning them since they are all scratched from me trying to make new damn holes but overall if you got GOOD drill bits and patience this is a good mod for sure
https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...-arm-frame-side-skid-plates-jt-gladiator.html

Rustys Offroad rock sliders (bought them and cancelled the order)
So these things they look nice i like the way they mount up since theres less chance of to getting them hung up on something, compared to others were it mounts to the bottom side of the frame and i dont like that but if you order these babies be ready to wait like 4 damn months cause i always called them up and they always said "oH sOrRy sIrR yOuR sLidErS aRe sTiL iN pOwDeR cOAT" so it took them from last year of september 25th until late January :( sorry rustys but get yalls shit together man,cant get them out of powdercoat for that long and yall cant machine holes in the right places for my lca skidplates

*Metalcloak Weld on front lca skids (Owned but still not welded on)
So these things of course you gotta weld them,i like the bolt on style ones but id rather weld them babies on since i wanna add some strength and box up the control arm mounts,so its a skid and it will for sure make those mounts more stout
https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-lower-front-control-arm-skid-plates.html

And the rest yall guys probably know the rest when it comes to control arm skid plates from either rockhard offroad and all that,sorry if i didnt list any more things but thats all i own and know
Sponsored