Sponsored

Smog Failed - Not Ready

ThePhotoBus

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2003 Tacoma Off-road DC, 2014 Subaru Forester
New Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, bought from TN, smogged 3 times in CA. Continues to fail with 3 monitors "Not Ready": Fuel System, Catalyst, and Oxygen Sensor Heater.

Previous Jeep tech advised to drive for 55mph for 5 minutes, then accelerate to 65 for 5 minutes, then decelerate to 55 and hold for 5 minutes - all while not braking or using cruise control. I repeated this process 4 times last night to no avail.

Left voice message with Jeep customer service at the recommendation of tech advisor. No callback yet.

@JeepCares - any advice?
Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
New Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, bought from TN, smogged 3 times in CA. Continues to fail with 3 monitors "Not Ready": Fuel System, Catalyst, and Oxygen Sensor Heater.

Previous Jeep tech advised to drive for 55mph for 5 minutes, then accelerate to 65 for 5 minutes, then decelerate to 55 and hold for 5 minutes - all while not braking or using cruise control. I repeated this process 4 times last night to no avail.

Left voice message with Jeep customer service at the recommendation of tech advisor. No callback yet.

@JeepCares - any advice?
It is under warranty, take it to a dealer, preferably one that offers smog. They have to get vehicle smog compliant

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
Good old Cali- Tough smog Makes modifying old cars tough too. Your warranty covers u

Speedy_12139

First Name
Kenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500, 2011 BMW 335i, (Potental) '21 Rubicon
Occupation
Construction & Renovations
Has someone had a scan tool hooked to it, in the very recent history, and reset codes/adaptations?

Cause if someone keep's clearing it, it'll never be ready.

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care

@JeepCares - any advice?
Sorry to hear this! Was your dealership visit recent? Send our team a private message with some more details and we can discuss further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Jchoh

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
I also bought a 2021 jeep gladiator 3.6l from florida and i smogged here in california and it failed as well. Any solutions??

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I also bought a 2021 jeep gladiator 3.6l from florida and i smogged here in california and it failed as well. Any solutions??
Provided you have not made any mods to the engine or exhaust systems, Jeep is required to make sure the emissions are compliant so it will pass a smog check. Don't connect anything to the OBD port, don't attempt to repair it, or reset any codes. Take it to a dealer to fix under warranty. It could be anything from a loose wire to a defective sensor. As suggested above, look for a dealer that performs smog checks.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The original reason for electronic ignition, etc. in the 70s - emissions compliance for 50K miles originally. They MUST make it comply. Federal law, period. They'll pay attention to emissions related problems before they will many other things it seems.
Other warranty stuff can come and go - but on an unaltered engine, something not modified, Jeep is responsible for emissions.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD

@JeepCares - any advice?
So what was the outcome?

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer

@JeepCares - any advice?
How/why was it smogged 3 times? It is a 2 yr cycle. That would put it at >6 yrs old.

OP
OP
ThePhotoBus

ThePhotoBus

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2003 Tacoma Off-road DC, 2014 Subaru Forester
I ended up going to the DMV and getting a 60 day operating permit.

That bought me enough time to put 3300 miles on it, which is when the 3 problematic monitors finally all changed to "ready".

Message me if you need any more info.
Sponsored