So had a bit of a pucker moment today.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
So you are suggesting that if you ever find yourself being chased by a t-rex, your Jeep may be a fine escape vehicle?
Inconclusive! video evidence shows that if your Jeep is chased by a T Rex with tennis shoes you are better off than if it noses you over a cement barrier into a tree.
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well I've got to much invested in my JT and LJ trash them. I have a 4wheeler that I don't have to drive to work and when I get off my butt and swap axles, suspension, T-case from my retired XJ to it's replacement. A 4wheeler has a lot of advantages for me. If it breaks I can trailer it home.
Side slopes are tricky to decide if you can make it, when I off roaded my XJ all the time I knew how much it weighed at all 4 corners, front to back and side to side. So I knew it's C.G. just some stuff I learned from being a Air Load Planner. :like: and having scales available to weight it.
Angle is easy to figure out with good compass or protractor and string or you can just buy the pitch and roll gauge from Q-tec or other 4×4 shop. I've been in few vehicle flops not fun in a M113 and Bradley fighting vehicle.

A better picture of my XJ before I retired it. :like:
Jeep Gladiator So had a bit of a pucker moment today. DSCN0096~2_1578798209702

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2019 JLUR
I've been in few vehicle flops not fun in a M113 and Bradley fighting vehicle.
First, thank you you for your service. Second, it was entirely too common to see M113s on their side from either poor ground guides, drivers being a little too “motivated”, or during rail loading.

Great idea regarding the pitch and roll gauge/accessory. Easier to quickly see what’s going on without having to meddle with the off road pages.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
First, thank you you for your service. Second, it was entirely too common to see M113s on their side from either poor ground guides, drivers being a little too “motivated”, or during rail loading.

Great idea regarding the pitch and roll gauge/accessory. Easier to quickly see what’s going on without having to meddle with the off road pages.
I've not seen any flops from rail loading but from use in field. Hohenfels, Bamholder and NTC.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2019 JLUR
I've not seen any flops from rail loading but from use in field. Hohenfels, Bamholder and NTC.
I was stationed in Berlin so we loaded the armor and tracked armor via rail to Hohenfels, Grafenwöhr, and Wildflecken. Then we convoyed the rest of the units via the Helmstedt Corridor.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was stationed in Berlin so we loaded the armor and tracked armor via rail to Hohenfels, Grafenwöhr, and Wildflecken. Then we convoyed the rest of the units via the Helmstedt Corridor.
I was in Maintz when The Wall came down "we got sent to our "D.E.P. due to CMD "it's a trick" the hoard is going to roll across. Then Fridburg to deploy to Desert Shield / Storm. Last tour was in Vilsec aka back side of Grafenwohr. 😳 Post reunification and "Cold War" what a difference.
Explaining to people about the alerts, full layout inspections, 72 hour recover with full layouts, guarding motor pool because vehicle's uploaded with weapons, NVG's and ammo, recalls, SMeLM, duress codes, daily barracks inspections, ECT ECT now. 🤔 Ahhh the Cold War Army life then vs post.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Would be nice to know for every individual JT. I've often thought about doing a calibrated "Tip test" with a safety line secured to the tower. But then again, 30 degrees sounds far enough.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Other factors need to be taken into consideration, no? Slipping to a steeper angle, or slipping to a sudden stop on a root, rut or rock could also induce a rollover.

Has anyone gotten out of a tip by accelerating into the direction of the roll?

I think 22 deg is the most roll I have been at and I was crying like a little girl:CWL:. My wife lady took my man card that day. I hope that the more I wheel this thing the more comfortable I will get. So far trail ridding for me has been just me freaking out all day and the wife lady laughing at me.
Sounds like you got a good one!

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
There are so many different variables to it also. Is your vehicle on an incline, how is it loaded, how fast are you going, is the roll a direct angle or is it 20 degrees roll, 15 degrees pitch. How is your Suspension flexed, and what angle is your steering at. I will say unscientifically, 30 is usually safe if your smooth on breaks and throttle.
Very good points. Another to include should be is it an experienced driver. The first time I dropped a steer tire off of a sharp decline the oh s**t factor kicked in so I hit the brake. Very wrong thing to do. Now in the same scenario, if you allow your wheels to continue rolling, your momentum Carrie’s you out of it smoothly. As you said it really depends on the situation.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4