Sponsored

So what is the story regarding "hopping up" the Pentastar 6 engines?

Malachi23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue Pearl Mojave
I am a bit of an old timer and am use to rebuilding engines when they wear out and making them better...and I see talk about upgrading to a new engine, but not much on reforming the ones we have...maybe there exists a comprehensive post already....any insights will be appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored

Medical_Bartender

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Willys, 2015 JK Willys, 2001 Ram 2500
Occupation
Active Duty
To my knowledge these Pentastar engines are pretty well “maxed” out from the factory. I’ve seen threads involving higher grade forged internals, along with turbo & supercharged forced induction..nothing over stock really seemed reliable.

In for any updated info though.. 🍿

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
What @Medical_Bartender said. Margins are thin for bolt on performance parts with any serious gains and maintain reliability. There is a few outliers who have done Supercharger and Turbo kits but recent PCM changes and tuning seem to be the big stumbling block. There is a thin line for having gains vs. a blown out engine.

392 HEMI conversions seem to be were most go but at a $35K-$50K+ cost.

OP
OP

Malachi23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the thoughts...so is it the general belief you cannot get any real performance upgrades (non-forced air) via the camshaft, intake manifold, or head valves?

Medical_Bartender

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Willys, 2015 JK Willys, 2001 Ram 2500
Occupation
Active Duty
Thanks for the thoughts...so is it the general belief you cannot get any real performance upgrades (non-forced air) via the camshaft, intake manifold, or head valves?
Not sure if any performance figures regarding those types of upgrades, if they even exist?? Intake is pretty well optimized and the computers will alter fuel:air regardless. I’d love to hear a 3.6 p-star with a mean cam lope…go for it!

If you are good with a wrench I’d imagine it might net you some margin of improvement. But if you pay a shop and go through all that time and $$$ (not sure how much those would cost for our minivan engines) I’d say just go ham and do a V8 swap.

Id think gearing would have more of an effect seat of the pants performance feel out of these engines than any other mods.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Malachi23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your general and gearing thoughts. :), am not sure they exist either, that is why I was just pinging this group to see what others thought. Will likely do a little more digging and will share whatever I find out. Thanks again.

OP
OP

Malachi23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After a bit of tire kicking, it seems that there are no real bolt on upgrades to HP or torque via natural aspiration. That being stated, if it was up to me today, I would supercharge via RIPP or ProCharger.
Sponsored