azmojave
Well-Known Member
- First Name
- Bobby
- Joined
- Nov 2, 2021
- Threads
- 72
- Messages
- 567
- Reaction score
- 1,139
- Location
- Phoenix, AZ
- Vehicle(s)
- Mojave
- Thread starter
- #1
Looks very interesting!
Sponsored
I've ready about those over the last year - I expect we will see them in some vehicles. For one thing, the LIGHT WEIGHT will rule when you are trying for MPG numbers. And for me - you have the "cool" factor.Looks very interesting!
And they have thus far, had good success - one at least has had that for what, a couple of years?There’s a couple people with LiPo4 batteries in their Gladiators on the forum now so it’s not brand new but it is newer tech.
PS - if you see more info on batteries like that please post it.Looks very interesting!
I think he said the battery has its own BMS so the charging issue is solved, and extreme cold isn’t an issue for me, but we have extreme heat so IDK if I trust it yet.CoPilot (AI) says:
Short answer: LiPow vehicle batteries are a type of LiFePO₄ (LFP) lithium battery used as a 12‑volt automotive replacement. Their pros and cons match the broader LFP starter‑battery category: excellent longevity, safety, and weight reduction, but poor cold‑weather performance and higher cost. Below is a detailed, data‑based breakdown using authoritative lithium‑battery sources.
Pros
- Very long lifespan — LFP batteries typically deliver 3,000–5,000+ cycles before reaching 80% capacity, far higher than AGM or lead‑acid.
- Excellent safety & thermal stability — LFP chemistry has a higher thermal‑runaway threshold (~518°F / 270°C), making it one of the safest lithium chemistries.
- Lower weight — Lithium starter batteries are significantly lighter than lead‑acid, improving performance in off‑road, racing, or overlanding builds.
- Deep‑cycle capability — LFP batteries tolerate deep discharges far better than lead‑acid, ideal for vehicles with heavy electronics or accessories.
- Can charge to 100% daily without damage — LFP chemistry is designed for full‑charge cycles without accelerated degradation.
- Lower long‑term cost per kWh — LFP packs cost $70–110/kWh, cheaper than nickel‑based lithium chemistries.
Cons
- Cold‑weather performance is weaker — LFP batteries lose 30–40% performance at 20°F, and basic lithium batteries struggle in freezing climates without built‑in heaters.
- Higher upfront cost — Lithium starter batteries cost more than AGM or lead‑acid, often 2–4× the price.
- Charging system compatibility required — Car alternators may not properly charge LiFePO₄ without a compatible BMS; improper charging can damage the battery.
- Lower cranking performance in extreme cold — LFP chemistry has slower discharge rates below ~14°F, making cold starts harder without pre‑conditioning.
- Not ideal for simple daily drivers — For normal commuting, AGM remains more cost‑effective and reliable in all temperatures.
- Voltage curve complicates state‑of‑charge readings — LFP’s flat voltage curve makes SOC estimation harder for some BMS systems.
Do you run a power station? Most of those operate under the same premise. LiPo4 setups usually have better fire protection built in. Quality ones do anyway. If a power station operates properly out in the desert one of these batteries should as well. Maybe I’ll try one of if I ever pull the trigger on a Genesis system.I think he said the battery has its own BMS so the charging issue is solved, and extreme cold isn’t an issue for me, but we have extreme heat so IDK if I trust it yet.
I have a couple Jackery’s I use but they’re in the cab charging while driving, and we don’t camp while it’s hotDo you run a power station? Most of those operate under the same premise. LiPo4 setups usually have better fire protection built in. Quality ones do anyway. If a power station operates properly out in the desert one of these batteries should as well. Maybe I’ll try one of if I ever pull the trigger on a Genesis system.