Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My preferred system. :like:

Hmmm seems to be quite a few LEO's current or retired on here... 5 more years give or take until I'm retired from it too.
Sponsored

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
I would like to add the current Owlcam to the list of devices which record to the cloud without the need for WiFi. It records both in and out of the vehicle and alerts of any movement, similar to a Ring doorbell cam.

And to the OP, thank you for your service sir.
Owl cam is back in business?

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
I live in Oakland proper. Carjackings are my biggest worry, but I also use Nest cams on the front of the house with zoning around my vehicles. I get a ping when anyone gets near my house and another if they move closer to my vehicles and a third if they are on my property. So a ping-ping ping gets me out the door in a hurry to catch idiots like this amazon guy that nudged my bumper.

Jeep Gladiator Someone's scoping my Gladiator Screenshot_20201117-155200

On the Gladiator I have front and back dash cams with parking mode and activated the hood latch on the alarm. I also installed GPS tracking if it does get stolen and upped my insurance. I suppose a kill switch would be the ultimate but I'm not there yet.

So far I have had a few handle jiggles which is kinda gross in a pandemic. My neighbor said she saw some guy licking door handles..... And quite a few of the "guys" in the neighborhood just checking out the beast. Some actually taking pictures from all sides.... That guy made me save the clip just in case..haha

Overall if cameras wont up your paranoia then I highly recommend Nest or Arlo... something that records all the time. Not a fan of Ring... Had it and it just keeps getting more expensive and intrusive.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your service. Also, handsome dog there. I confess prior ignorance about the existence of a Giant Schnauzer breed before Googling, but they sound like mighty fine pups.
After having the honor of their companship for over 30 years, i can say they are the very best.....

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I use Arlo Cameras with a Verizon cell service for $15 per month after purchase of the camera. Its set to send me a notification if there's movement at my gates. If you have good WiFi you could get on with out paying the cell service
I have 6 Ring cameras with three looking at where the Glad is parked. They notify me of intrusion. Guy did a car burg a block away after leaving and later was in a pursuit with our officers. He is in custody

Sponsored

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Oakland proper. Carjackings are my biggest worry, but I also use Nest cams on the front of the house with zoning around my vehicles. I get a ping when anyone gets near my house and another if they move closer to my vehicles and a third if they are on my property. So a ping-ping ping gets me out the door in a hurry to catch idiots like this amazon guy that nudged my bumper.

On the Gladiator I have front and back dash cams with parking mode and activated the hood latch on the alarm. I also installed GPS tracking if it does get stolen and upped my insurance. I suppose a kill switch would be the ultimate but I'm not there yet.

So far I have had a few handle jiggles which is kinda gross in a pandemic. My neighbor said she saw some guy licking door handles..... And quite a few of the "guys" in the neighborhood just checking out the beast. Some actually taking pictures from all sides.... That guy made me save the clip just in case..haha

Overall if cameras wont up your paranoia then I highly recommend Nest or Arlo... something that records all the time. Not a fan of Ring... Had it and it just keeps getting more expensive and intrusive.
Have Ring. Guy is a prolific car burglar and is now in custody. I have Ring and dogs but will invest in a kill switch and other devices after Christmas.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
When you say "targeted for theft" do you mean the whole thing or items inside or on the vehicle?

Without knowing too much, 5:30am seems a terrible time to be out and about stealing crap. Dog walkers, joggers, bicyclists abound- not to mention commuters- at least they do here, and I'm often one of them.

Then again, crack/crankheads and idiots in general aren't noted for their planning skills.
This guy was tweaked up and committed several more car burgs after leaving my place. He was caught after a pursuit and is custody. Time of day means nothing to a speed freak in the Inland Empire of California.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
My preferred system. :like:

Hmmm seems to be quite a few LEO's current or retired on here... 5 more years give or take until I'm retired from it too.
Wife did 30 plus, I did 24 and still do County Counsel Investigations. Stay safe and I do hope you're not in Cali.......

JeffInFLA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Gladiator Willys
Vehicle Showcase

This may seem like a silly question but - how did you activate the hood latch to the alarm?

Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Here in South Minneapolis, the epicenter of social unrest this year, we’ve got nightly batches of the car door snoops caught on cameras across the city. I’ve got 3 ring cameras so I pay attention to security on a daily basis. No real attempt to steal my Gladiator last summer from my driveway, but I did record a couple of said snoops trying my door handles and peering inside. Wife thinks I’m crazy but my hope is to chase down one of those fools the next time it happens.
Hi - I live out in the western suburbs - not the epicenter of social unrest. 12 houses in my neighborhood got broken into last year. When we lived in St. Paul (Highland Park neighborhood) someone checked our doors and alleyways every day. If you left your car unlocked even for one night you'd lose sunglasses, CDs, change etc. You are not crazy. Unfortunately the criminal class is diverse and inclusive. Stay safe!

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Hi - I live out in the western suburbs - not the epicenter of social unrest. 12 houses in my neighborhood got broken into last year. When we lived in St. Paul (Highland Park neighborhood) someone checked our doors and alleyways every day. If you left your car unlocked even for one night you'd lose sunglasses, CDs, change etc. You are not crazy. Unfortunately the criminal class is diverse and inclusive. Stay safe!
Too funny, I moved from Highland Park right across the river in June 2019. You are correct about snoops over there as well. I was living in a condo at that time so I had some protection from theft. After the rioting this year wrecked our neighborhood, the crime has spiked so high that I won't even go to a grocery store down the street due to the frequent car jackings in the middle of the day. Don't remember signing up for this when I moved...

I keep reading/hearing that the suburbs are being affected more and more as well, so I'm not surprised to hear you speak to that.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Wife did 30 plus, I did 24 and still do County Counsel Investigations. Stay safe and I do hope you're not in Cali.......
Thanks
Not a chance of me in CA. I turned down a few jobs there. I might have well been stationed at Ft. Irwin from 00-02 as much time I was there. Great climate and had great off road areas but the rest.... politics, taxes ect. No thanks.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
When I'm home, my JT is 95% of the time , in my garage. I also have security cameras that covers all of my property, along with a security system. If the alarm goes off while I'm away, I just pull up my cameras, 8 of them, on my cell phone. I'm also a retired LEO with 36 years of service, so I have let my best buddy, Kaiser protect my Jeeps when I'm out and about. I have gone through two Wranglers and Kaiser took ownership on each of them. If anyone approached him, while in the Jeep, he would kind of give them "The Grin". Picture of him grinning in my first Jeep, 2008 black JKU. They were his Jeeps, he just let me drive them! The JT is new to him, but he wants to go whenever I get in it. If I go out without him, I have a friend that goes with me and I never leave home without him. How I love a good 1911!
I am 100 % with you on the 1911, carried one for more years than I want to thank of. Now that I am retired I still carry a 1911 Combat Commander that I have had for over 30 years.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I am 100 % with you on the 1911, carried one for more years than I want to thank of. Now that I am retired I still carry a 1911 Combat Commander that I have had for over 30 years.
KB (wife) and I dropped the heavy stuff for Walther's several years ago. Now, that's not to say there aren't several Smith 4006's laying around in strategic spots. On my desk is her S&W Mod. 66 / .357 with a 1.5 inch barrel peaking out from under my monitor. She carried this when she spent 18 months as an observed in SBSD Aviation / 40-K. That girl loved to fly...... If you look at my posts there is a pic of the first thing I bought for the Glad. A lockng rear under seat box for the new Binelli Super Nova Tactical.... A guy needs a companion sometimes when out in the desert all alone......
Sponsored