2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Been seeing more around lately... Well, some instead of none. Saw one the past three days out. Saw a graphite one parked in west Pembroke Pines a couple days ago, saw a white one near Everglades National Park yesterday (did not return my wave), and a silver rubicon in another west pines plaza today.

Lex Low

First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK, 2020 JTR
Occupation
Film Editor
Had seen 2 in a couple of months. Today I saw 3 different ones in the Kendall area.

Reactions: Sal

Sponsored

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you all give me some advice on how I should approach off-roading here? I figure I would ask here, since our terrain is different than rocky stuff that people associate with offroading. I am new to Jeeps, trucks and off-roading entirely.

First question would be where do people commonly go for offroading here? Honestly to start, I wouldn't mind just finding a simple scenic gravel/dirt trail to drive down to start. Probably sounds boring to most, but I haven't had anything remotely close to an off road capable vehicle before.

Next, what do I need to get started? I guess, I should first ask is my truck in it's stock height/wheel/tire capacity (Sport S, Max Tow) be able to go off road, or would I need a lift/new tires etc before I even attempt anything? If I can, what are things I should get before attempting.

When I do eventually look to get a lift and new wheels/tires, what should I look for to suit the terrain here? I am thinking 35s, not sure if the lift is necessary to fit those. My research leads me to believe I should stick to 17" wheels, but I was looking at packages at soflojeeps and noticed it's all 20" stuff, is there any reason for that? I don't really have an aesthetic preference to either, so whatever is more suitable is what I would go for. Also, how much worse does the fuel efficiency get with the lift/bigger tires? I am already averaging around 14 MPG, which is pretty crap honestly.

OP
OP
Sal

Sal

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Just as a reminder. Would love to see more Gladiators!

AAC78119-E4B5-4757-88CD-8807AF1FAA9C.png

Lex Low

First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK, 2020 JTR
Occupation
Film Editor
Just as a reminder. Would love to see more Gladiators!

AAC78119-E4B5-4757-88CD-8807AF1FAA9C.png
Mine should be here the week of the 16th. I'll be joining you after that

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
Can you all give me some advice on how I should approach off-roading here? I figure I would ask here, since our terrain is different than rocky stuff that people associate with offroading. I am new to Jeeps, trucks and off-roading entirely.

First question would be where do people commonly go for offroading here? Honestly to start, I wouldn't mind just finding a simple scenic gravel/dirt trail to drive down to start. Probably sounds boring to most, but I haven't had anything remotely close to an off road capable vehicle before.

Next, what do I need to get started? I guess, I should first ask is my truck in it's stock height/wheel/tire capacity (Sport S, Max Tow) be able to go off road, or would I need a lift/new tires etc before I even attempt anything? If I can, what are things I should get before attempting.

When I do eventually look to get a lift and new wheels/tires, what should I look for to suit the terrain here? I am thinking 35s, not sure if the lift is necessary to fit those. My research leads me to believe I should stick to 17" wheels, but I was looking at packages at soflojeeps and noticed it's all 20" stuff, is there any reason for that? I don't really have an aesthetic preference to either, so whatever is more suitable is what I would go for. Also, how much worse does the fuel efficiency get with the lift/bigger tires? I am already averaging around 14 MPG, which is pretty crap honestly.

For off-roading and (IMO) overall driving comfort, 17's are better than 20's. I'm not into the 20" mall krawler look personally, but different strokes I guess. This is Miami so it's not about function at all, just who's is biggest and most expensive, regardless of what it looks like. At least I have not seen a Jeep Bro-Dozer down here yet. I have a Max Tow and 35s fit no problem without touching a thing.

I'm new to the area so also looking for spots to get dirty. If you are new to the off road scene, you are best to get your feet wet with a buddy. Some people say never to go off road solo, but I've done it before. However, in those cases you must be very careful not to get stuck or break something leaving yourself stranded. It seems like there is a few of us here that wheel so now it's just a matter of getting everyone together. Your truck is very capable in it's stock configuration and can probably out perform just about anything on the road (other than a modified Jeep of course). So don't worry about having to plow tons of cash into it just to have a good time in the dirt/mud, you will be fine.

Shoot me a PM with your number and I'll add you to the group text.

Lex Low

First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK, 2020 JTR
Occupation
Film Editor

For off-roading and (IMO) overall driving comfort, 17's are better than 20's. I'm not into the 20" mall krawler look personally, but different strokes I guess. This is Miami so it's not about function at all, just who's is biggest and most expensive, regardless of what it looks like. At least I have not seen a Jeep Bro-Dozer down here yet. I have a Max Tow and 35s fit no problem without touching a thing.

I'm new to the area so also looking for spots to get dirty. If you are new to the off road scene, you are best to get your feet wet with a buddy. Some people say never to go off road solo, but I've done it before. However, in those cases you must be very careful not to get stuck or break something leaving yourself stranded. It seems like there is a few of us here that wheel so now it's just a matter of getting everyone together. Your truck is very capable in it's stock configuration and can probably out perform just about anything on the road (other than a modified Jeep of course). So don't worry about having to plow tons of cash into it just to have a good time in the dirt/mud, you will be fine.

Shoot me a PM with your number and I'll add you to the group text.

Agreed. 17s. Get some 35s. They will fit without a lift. Make sure they are mud since that will be 90% of your offroad down here. A winch or go with someone that has one. Lockers and sway bars disconnects are preferred but not mandatory.

Down here you have The Pit. Mud. A little dryer during the winter. But mainly just a mud pit. It's on SW 42 almost to Krome, if Krome connected to it. I think there's another entrace, or there is to be one by 8th street. Used to go a long time ago. Haven't in 10 years. Miami is straight up Muddin with not much to see. If I want to do trails now I go upstate. Have done a couple of places in Tennessee and South Carolina. I know places North of Orlando. Better trails. More to see. More places to camp out as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sal

Sal

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator

In South Florida there's really only 5 places to your Gladiator
1) The Hump- Located down in Homestead by the outlet. Dont really recommend it alot of mud and its brackish water. Only cool thing there are two humps you can flex your JT on

2) Bird Road- Which was already mentioned

3) SandLot- Its by the Dolphins Stadium. Nice little area complete covered in sand. Only down fall is you have to share it with Dirt Bikes.

4) Loop Road- This is on 8st by alligator ally nice gravel road. Closest to a scenic ride.

5) Okeechobee- This is by Okeechobee and Krome. I have not been there just seen videos and picture looks fun.

...Really, 35-12.50-17 tires on a Sport is more than enough. With that your more than capable of doing anything. I would recommend getting some upgrade rims with a -44 offset (just to avoid rubbing). If you want to start doing some of the trails in Central Florida then i would recommend at least a 2 in lift either spacer or full lift.

Gas mileage will always go down as you add bigger tires

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In South Florida there's really only 5 places to your Gladiator
1) The Hump- Located down in Homestead by the outlet. Dont really recommend it alot of mud and its brackish water. Only cool thing there are two humps you can flex your JT on

2) Bird Road- Which was already mentioned

3) SandLot- Its by the Dolphins Stadium. Nice little area complete covered in sand. Only down fall is you have to share it with Dirt Bikes.

4) Loop Road- This is on 8st by alligator ally nice gravel road. Closest to a scenic ride.

5) Okeechobee- This is by Okeechobee and Krome. I have not been there just seen videos and picture looks fun.

...Really, 35-12.50-17 tires on a Sport is more than enough. With that your more than capable of doing anything. I would recommend getting some upgrade rims with a -44 offset (just to avoid rubbing). If you want to start doing some of the trails in Central Florida then i would recommend at least a 2 in lift either spacer or full lift.

Gas mileage will always go down as you add bigger tires
Where exactly do they go near okechobee and Krome? I can get out there relatively fast.

Slickxp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I met with NiCe looking Gladiator yesterday in Kendall area.

20191106_162042_1.jpg