Spare Suggestion for 20s w 35s

mattylmbr

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
New wheels/tires coming in this week. Going w 20s w 35s (save the flames - that’s my choice) and trying to attack the spare issue. Good just going with a similar/same diameter tire on the stock steel spare rim?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THREE Gladiators, and a JL Wrangler
What are you asking, I don't understand the question.... buy a fifth wheel and tire and put it underneath.

Here is my matching Black Rhino wheel and tire.... and in the distance is my wife's matching wheel and spare.

Both mine and my wife are 35's on 20's

Jeep Gladiator Spare Suggestion for 20s w 35s IMG_2363

OP
OP

mattylmbr

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
What are you asking, I don't understand the question.... buy a fifth wheel and tire and put it underneath.

Here is my matching Black Rhino wheel and tire.... and in the distance is my wife's matching wheel and spare.

Both mine and my wife are 35's on 20's

Jeep Gladiator Spare Suggestion for 20s w 35s IMG_2363
Was attempting to find a solution other than a matching wheel and tire (to the tune of $800 - $900 for a single wheel/tire combo) that is just going to hang under the bed.

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well... as far as cost you know what the tires run.... no getting around that. Trying to find a cheaper 20" wheel is a possibility but how much will you really save. I know I paid $718 for my additional wheel and tire just to be mounted underneath but I was happy to do it, here's why.

There are two reasons I did it. First is, if something bad happens to any of my wheels, like off road damage I just swap it out with the new one. My previous Audi dropped the front wheel into something like a trench in a construction zone and cracked it. I thought... "shoot, looks like I'm buying a new wheel." WRONG!!! None in stock, and they've been discontinued, $4k later 4 new 22"wheels and tires.

Second reason is, Ive read on here how bad it is, even for a short distance, to run a mismatched sized wheel and tire. Lots of info about damaging the splines and gears in the axles because the two attached wheels are spinning at different speeds essentially grinding the gears till they fail. Once done... even a mile it cant be un-done... the damage is there.

Good Luck whatever you choose.

OP
OP

mattylmbr

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Well... as far as cost you know what the tires run.... no getting around that. Trying to find a cheaper 20" wheel is a possibility but how much will you really save. I know I paid $718 for my additional wheel and tire just to be mounted underneath but I was happy to do it, here's why.

There are two reasons I did it. First is, if something bad happens to any of my wheels, like off road damage I just swap it out with the new one. My previous Audi dropped the front wheel into something like a trench in a construction zone and cracked it. I thought... "shoot, looks like I'm buying a new wheel." WRONG!!! None in stock, and they've been discontinued, $4k later 4 new 22"wheels and tires.

Second reason is, Ive read on here how bad it is, even for a short distance, to run a mismatched sized wheel and tire. Lots of info about damaging the splines and gears in the axles because the two attached wheels are spinning at different speeds essentially grinding the gears till they fail. Once done... even a mile it cant be un-done... the damage is there.

Good Luck whatever you choose.
Great points -you’ve convinced me to get a full 5th setup. Thx!

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If you just want a spare, get a 17" steel spare wheel and put a cheap 35" on it.

35" is 35" whether it's mounted on a 20 or a 17.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
If you just want a spare, get a 17" steel spare wheel and put a cheap 35" on it.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I just put a 35 on my existing spare rim.

Not sure how you would do damage with different sized tires. The diff allows them to spin at different speeds. Otherwise, we would be grinding gears whenever we were not driving straight. Many cars come with smaller spares, than the stock ones.

I think it’s a personal choice. If you don’t mind spending the money, it is nice having a matching spare. I did it on my 4Runner. I liked my stock gladiator wheels (mostly the offset), so I just put 35s on them and the spare rim. If you want to spend the least amount possible, just put a cheap 35 on your stock spare rim.

Last edited:

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Only reason to really buy a matching spare and tire is for a 5-tire rotation; otherwise it’s a waste of $.

Get a 35” tire and mount it to your stock spare. Done.
Your Jeep will never know the difference.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Unless you have a big brake kit, a 17” spare wheel is the way to go. Cheap and plentiful. A half worn 35” tire good enough for a spare should be even easier to find.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Only reason to really buy a matching spare and tire is for a 5-tire rotation; otherwise it’s a waste of $.

I run a 5 tire rotation, always have even on my pick ups. Got started way back when on my `86 CJ 7.

Sponsored

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I completely agree with this statement!

BUT..... Just as long as you have the same size / height tire. A BFG KO2 35" and a Falken M/T 35" are not the same height. From what Ive seen on here could be a difference of over an inch. So just match with what you have and don't mix different tires.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Unless you have a big brake kit, a 17” spare wheel is the way to go. Cheap and plentiful. A half worn 35” tire good enough for a spare should be even easier to find.
Very true.
As for a big brake kit? They only look pretty on a gladiator. They will do nothing for you. Unless you are racing across the desert, auto crossing or having a hpde session in your gladiator. Lol

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I completely agree with this statement!

BUT..... Just as long as you have the same size / height tire. A BFG KO2 35" and a Falken M/T 35" are not the same height. From what Ive seen on here could be a difference of over an inch.
You could run a 33 (Rubi spare size) with 35's, treat it like a donut spare, 50 and 50.
I wouldn't put the mismatch up front, put it on the rear. A 35 that's different from the other 35's isn't going to hurt anything. When I did my first tire rotation the one from the spare slot was bigger than the rest, since it had never seen pavement.

OP
OP

mattylmbr

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon

Y’all changed my mind back. Haha. Stock steel with a 35 on it is how I’ll go. I’ll throw the $800 I save into another mod. Thanks again for all the input.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
It is fine to run a different sized spare as long as its not a limited slip diff, (lsd) or you’ve lock a Differential as in the Rubicon or Mojave.

So an open differential is ok to run different diameter overall wheel and tire combo.

My understanding of the Rubicon differentials are that when unlocked they run as a limited slip differential, and then of course you can lock them electrically.

A different size diameter wheel tire diameter will wear clutches on an lsd and beak a locker.
Sponsored