Steel bumper came on Freedom Edition ready for a winch

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
So, now and because of the input here, I am working my way toward better understanding it all and maybe spending the money and keeping the OEM bumper.
I have a 2014 JK Rubicon X that I ordered new. It came with the steel front bumper, which is very similar to the current JT/JL steel front bumper. I have a Warn Zeon 10s mounted on it using a Maximus-3 mounting plate. That OEM bumper is super tough. I've had to use the winch plenty of times without any issues. It has also taken a lot of hits & abuse and it only has some cosmetic scars to show for it. IMO, it is a very good starting point. Plus, I don't like how most aftermarket bumpers look.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Redfour5

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade, Cherokee, Ram 2500 Hemi,
Occupation
Retired
Thanks, is this the one you got?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Wait a minute, Wait a minute, not so fast...

Wow, that's great. The winch bumper comes with my new Gladiator so that's gonna make it cheaper to upgrade. So, what do you mean I gotta spend another $300 plus bucks for a winch plate? Why doesn't that come on it? So, let me get this straight.

I have to buy a winch AND the plate to mount it on the bumper from Jeep bumper designed for winches? AND, if I was buying the bumper, it would be another $1,000 plus bucks so, at that point, if I were buying MOPAR, I'd be spending between 1300 and 1500 bucks BEFORE the winch...

But, for me, since I was so lucky to get the steel bumper on my Freedom Edition, I ONLY got $319 bucks and the winch ahead of me along with installation... And if I want a hoop I'm talking at least another 100 bucks... Sheesh, and I thought getting the MOPAR steel bumper on my truck would make a winch a whole lot cheaper...

But, I can buy a Rough Country, front bumper, plate built in, including LED light bar and spots for $599 bucks? https://www.roughcountry.com/product/jeep-full-width-trail-bumper-10585

What's wrong with this picture?

Now, I realize some people may LIKE and want the MOPAR bumper and don't like the after market look and I do like the OEM bumper with a hoop and would like to do that, but living in deer country, I'll get better protection AND free lights. On my former Jeep Renegade and one of my 1500's I put after market lights on to see off of the side of the road. I did this after hitting deer... And, I have a Rough Country rear bumper on my Ram 2500 and frankly it was a killer deal and the lights are great. My installer said, OK, finish is the weakness, but I'll take it off and re-do it for 350 bucks here in about four or five years when you need it done... He has the same bumpers on his Gladiator...

So, I'm seriously considering going after market here with the rough country. They even have a decent 9500 lb winch designed for their bumpers at a good price.

I see the OEM Mopar bumpers going for cheap on Facebook marketplace and Craigs list within a hundred miles. I could always sell mine and even get some of my after market purchase money back. Win Win...

If anyone knows where I can get a winch plate cheap for the OEM bumper, I might reconsider... And if so, thanks in advance...
So are you saying that people don't research before purchasing?
We're using the Rusty's winch plate.

OP
OP

Redfour5

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It goes on my list of potentials, now up to two...

OP
OP

Redfour5

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Half the price of MOPAR OEM looks robust.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I like the way the Bulldog winch plate mounts - behind the frame's bumper mounting ears. It means you can pull the bumper and the winch plate won't move as long as you have the rear/side bracket bolts as tight as they should be.
I pulled my bumper off to work on mounting the snow plow bar brackets and the winch never moved, the bumper slid right back into place.
This winch plate also has steel "trusses" running diagonally across the plate to really stiffen it up.

Jeep Gladiator Steel bumper came on Freedom Edition ready for a winch 20220824_144912_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Steel bumper came on Freedom Edition ready for a winch 20220824_143812_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Steel bumper came on Freedom Edition ready for a winch 20220805_153913

Jeep Gladiator Steel bumper came on Freedom Edition ready for a winch 20220805_154000_HDR

This is where I removed the bumper to install the snow plow mounting bar (C). The winch stayed put so well it was easy to slip the front bumper back on. The winch plate didn't budge.

A - winch plate
B - front receiver I use for parking my car hauler and other stuff
C - snow plow mounting bar - very heavy brackets run from that bar up to the side of the frame on each side.
There's a whole lot going on on the front of this JT, not to mention electrically with the winch cables as well as the large snow plow electric harnesses.

Jeep Gladiator Steel bumper came on Freedom Edition ready for a winch no-bumper

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
I like the way the Bulldog winch plate mounts - behind the frame's bumper mounting ears
Agree - it's one of the better plates on the market. Do not go cheap on a winch mounting plate.

OP
OP

Redfour5

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I like the way the Bulldog winch plate mounts - behind the frame's bumper mounting ears. It means you can pull the bumper and the winch plate won't move as long as you have the rear/side bracket bolts as tight as they should be.
I pulled my bumper off to work on mounting the snow plow bar brackets and the winch never moved, the bumper slid right back into place.
This winch plate also has steel "trusses" running diagonally across the plate to really stiffen it up.

This is where I removed the bumper to install the snow plow mounting bar (C). The winch stayed put so well it was easy to slip the front bumper back on. The winch plate didn't budge.

A - winch plate
B - front receiver I use for parking my car hauler and other stuff
C - snow plow mounting bar - very heavy brackets run from that bar up to the side of the frame on each side.
There's a whole lot going on on the front of this JT, not to mention electrically with the winch cables as well as the large snow plow electric harnesses.

This is what I had in mind if it wasn't 400 bucks... AND its at a good price on etrailer so I"m in for one, ordered should be here on the 5th. It's 258 including shipping. It appears to be around 50 bucks more at other sites and lots of "reviews" noting it worked perfect on Gladiators...

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessorie...nch/BDW20353.html#exp-productdetails=.reviews

"Order an additional $2,147,483,414.01 to qualify for free shipping."

And Gee whiz, All I have to do is spend another two trillion bucks for free shipping. I'll get right on that. Twenty Five bucks is a good start.

Thanks for the referral.

OP
OP

Redfour5

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Agree - it's one of the better plates on the market. Do not go cheap on a winch mounting plate.
I got one on eTrailer... 258 bucks including shipping. Much appreciated you and the guy who put the pics and everything in. This is high quality relatively low price. I was hoping for under 200 bucks, ,but in my research realized that cheap isn't good on winch plates per some reviews of them bending and pulling on heavy pulls... This isn't "cheap" just inexpensive...comparatively speaking.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was hoping for under 200 bucks, ,but in my research realized that cheap isn't good on winch plates per some reviews of them bending and pulling on heavy pulls... This isn't "cheap" just inexpensive...comparatively speaking
Yeah, there's "cheap" and there's "inexpensive".
I wanted quality - but at the time my biggest thing was, man, how do I get all that stuff stuffed into the frame up front and still have a good winch plate?

Did a lot of digging and after looking closely at pictures, found this would clear things (well, almost clears the Curt receiver bolts, had to cut a notch but then welded in a solid steel piece to make up for that)
It is a perfect fit on Gladiator, it's not their fault I wanted a Swiss Army Knife on the front of my JT!

The reviews were good, and the price on etrailer was good. Thinking about it, I believe that is who I ordered it from as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Redfour5

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Wait a minute, Wait a minute, not so fast...

Wow, that's great. The winch bumper comes with my new Gladiator so that's gonna make it cheaper to upgrade. So, what do you mean I gotta spend another $300 plus bucks for a winch plate? Why doesn't that come on it? So, let me get this straight.

I have to buy a winch AND the plate to mount it on the bumper from Jeep bumper designed for winches? AND, if I was buying the bumper, it would be another $1,000 plus bucks so, at that point, if I were buying MOPAR, I'd be spending between 1300 and 1500 bucks BEFORE the winch...

But, for me, since I was so lucky to get the steel bumper on my Freedom Edition, I ONLY got $319 bucks and the winch ahead of me along with installation... And if I want a hoop I'm talking at least another 100 bucks... Sheesh, and I thought getting the MOPAR steel bumper on my truck would make a winch a whole lot cheaper...

But, I can buy a Rough Country, front bumper, plate built in, including LED light bar and spots for $599 bucks? https://www.roughcountry.com/product/jeep-full-width-trail-bumper-10585

What's wrong with this picture?

Now, I realize some people may LIKE and want the MOPAR bumper and don't like the after market look and I do like the OEM bumper with a hoop and would like to do that, but living in deer country, I'll get better protection AND free lights. On my former Jeep Renegade and one of my 1500's I put after market lights on to see off of the side of the road. I did this after hitting deer... And, I have a Rough Country rear bumper on my Ram 2500 and frankly it was a killer deal and the lights are great. My installer said, OK, finish is the weakness, but I'll take it off and re-do it for 350 bucks here in about four or five years when you need it done... He has the same bumpers on his Gladiator...

So, I'm seriously considering going after market here with the rough country. They even have a decent 9500 lb winch designed for their bumpers at a good price.

I see the OEM Mopar bumpers going for cheap on Facebook marketplace and Craigs list within a hundred miles. I could always sell mine and even get some of my after market purchase money back. Win Win...

If anyone knows where I can get a winch plate cheap for the OEM bumper, I might reconsider... And if so, thanks in advance...
Well, after much thought and great feedback here, I'm going to stick with the OEM bumper and get a Bulldog Winch Plate. I actually have a rough country 12K winch on my 2500 that I"m happy with so will likely go with the 9500 lb version for the JT. And the warn grill guard/hoop https://www.warn.com/low-grille-guard-tube-for-jeep-jl-jt-bumper-102355

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what I had in mind if it wasn't 400 bucks... AND its at a good price on etrailer so I"m in for one, ordered should be here on the 5th. It's 258 including shipping. It appears to be around 50 bucks more at other sites and lots of "reviews" noting it worked perfect on Gladiators...

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessorie...nch/BDW20353.html#exp-productdetails=.reviews
Just a heads-up. The Q&A on etrailer states that this winch plate is 5mm thick steel (5/25.4 = .197"). Warn recommends a minimum plate thickness of .25".

Side note:
When I bought my JK winch mounting plate from Maximus 3 about 9 years ago, it was made from 5.5mm thick steel plate (.217" thick). They stated that it was designed for use with the Warn Zeon winches, which have a required mounting plate thickness of 1/4" minimum. When I contacted them about Warn's 1/4" thick specification, they told me that their 5.5mm mounting plate was designed & rated for 12,000 lb of pull. I'm using it with a Zeon 10s (rated at 10k lb pull), and I've never had any issues with it on my JK 2-door. However, Maximus 3 changed their plate thickness to .25" shortly after I made them aware of Warn's requirement. Hmmmm, interesting.

If I were selecting a winch mounting plate today for my Gladiator, I'd make sure it was 1/4" thick.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just a heads-up. The Q&A on etrailer states that this winch plate is 5mm thick steel (5/25.4 = .197"). Warn recommends a minimum plate thickness of .25".

Side note:
When I bought my JK winch mounting plate from Maximus 3 about 9 years ago, it was made from 5.5mm thick steel plate (.217" thick). They stated that it was designed for use with the Warn Zeon winches, which have a required mounting plate thickness of 1/4" minimum. When I contacted them about Warn's 1/4" thick specification, they told me that their 5.5mm mounting plate was designed & rated for 12,000 lb of pull. I'm using it with a Zeon 10s (rated at 10k lb pull), and I've never had any issues with it on my JK 2-door. However, Maximus 3 changed their plate thickness to .25" shortly after I made them aware of Warn's requirement. Hmmmm, interesting.

If I were selecting a winch mounting plate today for my Gladiator, I'd make sure it was 1/4" thick.
Depends - on how it's structured. If it's a flat plate with no other reinforcement, sure, but these also have trusses on the bottom - notched in, welded in. It's not a flat steel plate like some others. The brackets on the side are part of the plate, not bolted on, and the front mounts behind the bumper mounting ears. I'd be really surprised if you bent this plate.

Shape/design are almost as important.

I am not sure if I can access mine to do any measuring, but when I compared to my cheaper plate that came with the bumper, seems to me I got just about 1/4" with a micrometer. Granted, that includes the powder coating.

Take a look at the pics - there's not a lot of just plain flat plate to it. I'd bet it would hold to a full pull. Shape, design, and the welded on reinforcements on the bottom......... both the front and rear edges are also rolled/bent upward, both being close to the winch.

It's possible Warn's specs are generic - to count for various sizes and ways of mounting. It's narrow between the frame rails, and that matters. A wider plate mounted to a wider frame would need to be thicker or have some more reinforcement.

My bottom line is - when you specify how "thick" a plate should be - you have to cover all sorts of shapes and sizes and mounting methods. A smaller footprint means less chance to bend or flex.

Several reviewers say that have used their winch multiple times. I guess I have no fear or worries due to how it's made, which is just as important as a generic "must be xx thick". I wonder what an engineer would say about how the shape and welded reinforcements impact strength.

This is where the thick piece of steel is welded to the bottom - preventing the plate from bending or even flexing at all - you ain't gonna bend this unless you are abusing your winch or Jeep.

Jeep Gladiator Steel bumper came on Freedom Edition ready for a winch 1704137708517

slim chance

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi JTA, 23 Ram Laramie 1500, 21 Nacho JTF
Occupation
retired
wife's JT freedom .. oem steel bumper ... Maximus 3 Bull bar .. warn winch plate

Jeep Gladiator Steel bumper came on Freedom Edition ready for a winch 20220227_oscar

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder what an engineer would say about how the shape and welded reinforcements impact strength.
If designed & placed properly, shape and reinforcing webs will have a significant impact on strength. They are used regularly in my designs at work.

I'm not sure about other winches, but with the Warn Zeon you need to watch out for the mounting bolt length when using different thickness mounting plates. You need to make sure to get full thread engagement without bottoming-out the bolt.

Another thing to note is that the Maximus 3 JK and JL/JT mounting plates look like they have a lot more 'meat' where it attaches to the frame than the JT mount from Bulldog.
M3 mount for JL/JT: https://maximus-3.com/home/jl-winch-mount-kit

The Warn mounting plate is even more robust:
https://www.warn.com/winch-mount-2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-101255
Sponsored