OP

Hummer1

First Name
Phyllis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator overland
Can you post a picture of the ground wire in question?
I was not there. My husband took it, so I asked him which ground wire was loose and he said it was a ground wire to one of the batteries.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Glad you are ok, and nothing untoward happened. I just can't see how a ground wire to one of the batteries being loose as the issue, unless it is from a specific wire that drives power assist? I am not an expert but I am afraid we might need more information?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you are ok, and nothing untoward happened. I just can't see how a ground wire to one of the batteries being loose as the issue, unless it is from a specific wire that drives power assist? I am not an expert but I am afraid we might need more information?
A battery ground would disconnect that battery from the system. UNLESS there are multiple wires FROM other accessories that go to that battery ground. However, most thing ground to the chassis or block or are otherwise grounded and not directly to the battery.
I have not dove, or is it dived, into the grounds on these - but a ground wire to the battery would normally be from block or chassis in some way. Other items don't normally "home run" a ground straight back to battery negative.
This beast could throw all that out the door, though, as again, I've not dug into the grounds on these things yet. But I can tell you about the grounds on almost all other systems up to the 2010 and forward era.

Sponsored

TheLastOne

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2013 WK2 Trailhawk
Occupation
Govt
Just experienced this issue with my 2020 JTR. Pretty terrifying. It wasn't a lost of power assist, it was a locked wheel. I literally could not turn it going 45mph.

Man. Guess I to take it to the dealer? 😭

Dan P.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2020 Sport
Just had the same thing happen to me. Steering locked up after turning from an on ramp to the highway. I slowed down went to the side of the road and then it was fine. Pretty scary. Need to take it in. Hope it does not happen again.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
It would be nice to know exactly which ground it was so we could all check them preemptively.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Just had the same thing happen to me. Steering locked up after turning from an on ramp to the highway. I slowed down went to the side of the road and then it was fine. Pretty scary. Need to take it in. Hope it does not happen again.
Please let us know when you have an appointment set to have your dealer take a look at this concern. We would like to have a case manager provide additional support while in service. Please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer to get started.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Dan P.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2020 Sport
Please let us know when you have an appointment set to have your dealer take a look at this concern. We would like to have a case manager provide additional support while in service. Please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer to get started.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
How do you send a private message?

Sponsored

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
You said you slowed down and went to the side of the road? Did it unlock so you could go to the side of the road or was it a loss of power steering like the OP described? I just ordered my JT this month and this whole ordeal is a little nerve racking!

Dan P.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2020 Sport
You said you slowed down and went to the side of the road? Did it unlock so you could go to the side of the road or was it a loss of power steering like the OP described? I just ordered my JT this month and this whole ordeal is a little nerve racking!
It happened again today. It was more of a power assist loss. It feels like the wheel can not turn, but with force it can. I drove to the side of the road. Shut off the car opened the door and restarted it. It worked after that. Bringing it in for service next week.

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
It happened again today. It was more of a power assist loss. It feels like the wheel can not turn, but with force it can. I drove to the side of the road. Shut off the car opened the door and restarted it. It worked after that. Bringing it in for service next week.
Jeez, thats awful! I am sorry you are dealing with that! It is best case scenario though, I would much rather have a loss of power than a absolute lock up. I wish you the best of luck! Please let us know what the dealer finds out!

Dadzo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator North Edition
Occupation
Director of IT Services (Retired)
Has anyone else had an issue with their 2020 Gladiator steering locking while driving on the highway? It happened to me today while driving at 40 mph, around a curve. Luckily, no one was close behind me. I applied my brakes, and was able to unlock it, before landing in the ditch.
Of those who have experienced this dangerous behavior, how many have had the Steering Box replaced per the Steering Box Replacement TSB?

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Just had this happen to me. Going approx 35mph on a slight curve and the whole steering wheel froze for 2-3 seconds and couldn’t turn it.
Sponsored