Sponsored

Suggestions on front bumpers that also allow for winch mounting

salsadoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Fab Fours Stubby...
i have the same bumper. will i have to remove or slide out the bumper if i were to install a winch? i’m hoping i don’t have to but i guess it’s dependent on which winch i buy. thanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
i have the same bumper. will i have to remove or slide out the bumper if i were to install a winch? i’m hoping i don’t have to but i guess it’s dependent on which winch i buy. thanks
Depends on the winch, but mine slid right down on there between the brush guard and the grill without any issues.

You might have to go in from the front, angling the winch to fit between the brush guard and bumper, and then as you push it up in there, you angle it back towards you as you're picking up on it to sit it in place.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I like the Rugged Ridge Arcus with my Smittybuilt 12k. Finally just got it finished this weekend. Took a while because I did a custom location for the soliniod box.

Only thing I will say is it took 3 people and a jack to get this thing installed. It has you hold and line up about 5 different things at once for the install

1591422091837.png

1591422128341.png
The Arcus is on my short list and that is the cleanest winch install I've seen. Hopefully I can get some details and pointers from you when the time comes ... ???

akguy47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Oilfield
Vehicle Showcase
Iron Cross stubbie. No winch yet so I have a vision-x light installed.
Jeep Gladiator Suggestions on front bumpers that also allow for winch mounting 20200523_093955

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
The Arcus is on my short list and that is the cleanest winch install I've seen. Hopefully I can get some details and pointers from you when the time comes ... ???
I stole it from another forum member on the Smittybuilt 12k thread I think. Made a custom bracket and some cables to put the soloind box off to the side. Really like the way it turned out. Glad to help in any way I can.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I stole it from another forum member on the Smittybuilt 12k thread I think. Made a custom bracket and some cables to put the soloind box off to the side. Really like the way it turned out. Glad to help in any way I can.
Great.! I'll PM you where to send me another one of those brackets and set of cables. Thanks!

( ;) )

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
My setup. 37lb stubby 60lb synthetic warn 10k
1/8 inch suspension compressed.

bcunning82

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bright White
Metalcloak Frame-built with 56" light caps. Simple, modular and well built.
Jeep Gladiator Suggestions on front bumpers that also allow for winch mounting Image_2 2020-06-09_08-49-04
Jeep Gladiator Suggestions on front bumpers that also allow for winch mounting Image_2 2020-06-09_08-46-52

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Great.! I'll PM you where to send me another one of those brackets and set of cables. Thanks!

( ;) )
Lol wish I was that skilled. It was me playing with power tools constantly tweaking until it fit. Had to bend the one sheet of metal by hand. I think I spent almost a day playing with that thing. Funny thing is I went down that path because I got frustrated at the top mount and couldnt figure it out.

One final thing i am going to do is paint the fairilead. I don't like how shiny it is. The paint job on the bumper sucks and I will probably be doing it in raptorliner at some point in the future.

Sponsored

GA D90

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 LR Defender , '21 JTR
Occupation
Paramedic
I like the Rugged Ridge Arcus with my Smittybuilt 12k. Finally just got it finished this weekend. Took a while because I did a custom location for the soliniod box.

Only thing I will say is it took 3 people and a jack to get this thing installed. It has you hold and line up about 5 different things at once for the install

Jeep Gladiator Suggestions on front bumpers that also allow for winch mounting Image_2 2020-06-09_08-46-52

That’s an excellent setup, how’d you get the control box to mount like that? Nice job!

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
That’s an excellent setup, how’d you get the control box to mount like that? Nice job!
I bought a piece of metal from home depot for like 6 bucks. Cut, bent and drilled it so it mounted with the bolts that hold the bumper together.

I was able to then use a combination of holes and brackets over top of the plate to hold the control box in place. After that it is pretty solid with the switch and plug pointing up for easy access.

I had to custom make some wires for it since the ones it came with were a few inches to short. That was the most costly part of the project. 4AWG wire isn't cheap. I covered some parts of the red wire with electrical tap recently so it all blends in.

The winch is ever so slightly off center to allow the extra space in there, but it is almost impossible to notice, and is only about 1/2 an inch.

one addition I just did last weekend is I painted the fairlead in rattlecan bedliner. The shinyness of the silver color was bothering me. Looks so much better now.

GA D90

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 LR Defender , '21 JTR
Occupation
Paramedic
I bought a piece of metal from home depot for like 6 bucks. Cut, bent and drilled it so it mounted with the bolts that hold the bumper together.

I was able to then use a combination of holes and brackets over top of the plate to hold the control box in place. After that it is pretty solid with the switch and plug pointing up for easy access.

I had to custom make some wires for it since the ones it came with were a few inches to short. That was the most costly part of the project. 4AWG wire isn't cheap. I covered some parts of the red wire with electrical tap recently so it all blends in.

The winch is ever so slightly off center to allow the extra space in there, but it is almost impossible to notice, and is only about 1/2 an inch.

one addition I just did last weekend is I painted the fairlead in rattlecan bedliner. The shinyness of the silver color was bothering me. Looks so much better now.
Great job! Hope you don’t mind I copy it “when“ my JTR shows up :)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Pool Bitch
+1 on the Rugged ridge Arcus...Exactly what I have on mine and think its perfect. That said I installed it with my son and YES it was not "user friendly" after we installed it the first time and a winch nut fell out the second time was easier :like:

Jeep Gladiator Suggestions on front bumpers that also allow for winch mounting IMG_20200711_155133

Armyman247

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Jeep Gladiator Suggestions on front bumpers that also allow for winch mounting 26BC2EA9-02F9-46E4-AA10-20BCFBE40739

smittybilt bumper and winch.. love the combo only issue is it is very heavy (including winch) I lost maybe 1/4” of lift BUT the bumper is STOUT!!! I feel bad if I ever rear end someone or they backup into me there will be serious damage to their vehicle
Sponsored