First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Hello Friends, I finally put my Sun Rider on yesterday, easy install but you need 2 people to place it in place. A tall neighbor is a good asset for this :) ...I am so glad I purchased this Truck, just so many ways to have fun in it.

It took a small amount of breaking it in but it is working nice now...Side benefit, šŸ‘ you get to exercise some back muscles that don't usually take on this motion with the back and forth overhead motion to open and close it...Took it for a ride down the bay (no more than 40mph), and it was awesome, makes the Mojave feel even more "Jeepy". Looks nice too. (Only small "beef" is they should have found a way to attach the 2 Velcro band to the product)

Three questions:
1) With the flip top extending over the roof a bit when it is open, has anyone experienced any issues (vibration, flapping, adding instability to the ride, etc.) with it open at highway speed (say around 70MPH) and what speed was the fastest you have driven with it open and still felt "safe"?
2) Do you ever use the two Velcro bands supplied with the product, if so when?
3) What cleaning product do you use to keep the material on the outside clean ?

Thanks in advance,
-Joe
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
1) I've been 85ish. Never felt unsafe. There will be flapping noises, you learn to live with them
2) the velcro bands are for low speed usage. for example bumpy off-roading where the sunrider could potentially bounce itself shut. No need to use them on-road. That's according to bestop fyi
3) thus far? rain

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
1. Never unsafe. I get some typical soft top noises when it's closed but it's like it's not even there when opened.

2. I've never used them.

3. Regular car wash and wipe dry.
I did go over it with Turtle Wax Hybrid when I did the rest of the exterior surfaces back in March. It still beads water.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
1) it'll definitely be safe for fast highway speeds. Opening the rear window and cracking the others or rolling them down all the way will reduce any flapping considerably.
2) don't worry so much about the velcro things, but it is a good idea if you've been bouncing around a lot to check the z clips before you close it. Sometimes they loosen and can break when you go to close it. It will be a warranty claim and they'll give you a new one, BUT that can be avoided.
3)bestop makes a soft top cleaning product, but haven't used it yet. I usually just rinse it when washing the vehicle, but do want to pick up their product eventually

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
1. Nope, never any movement at all. The hardware is pretty heavy on it, and unless you're dive-bombing railroad tracks, there's very little chance it's going to move.

2. I have them tied around the bow arms, but I've never actually put them on. Again, refer to #1. If you ever manage to make your Sunrider bounce or flop, then feel free to use them.

3. Nothing special. Bestop makes some vinyl cleaner and protectant, but I can't say I've ever seen or heard of anyone raving about such a product. The twill material is durable as hell, so as long as you're just washing the vehicle regularly, it should last for years.

Sponsored

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
Hello Friends, I finally put my Sun Rider on yesterday, easy install but you need 2 people to place it in place. A tall neighbor is a good asset for this :) ...I am so glad I purchased this Truck, just so many ways to have fun in it.

It took a small amount of breaking it in but it is working nice now...Side benefit, šŸ‘ you get to exercise some back muscles that don't usually take on this motion with the back and forth overhead motion to open and close it...Took it for a ride down the bay (no more than 40mph), and it was awesome, makes the Mojave feel even more "Jeepy". Looks nice too. (Only small "beef" is they should have found a way to attach the 2 Velcro band to the product)

Three questions:
1) With the flip top extending over the roof a bit when it is open, has anyone experienced any issues (vibration, flapping, adding instability to the ride, etc.) with it open at highway speed (say around 70MPH) and what speed was the fastest you have driven with it open and still felt "safe"?
2) Do you ever use the two Velcro bands supplied with the product, if so when?
3) What cleaning product do you use to keep the material on the outside clean ?

Thanks in advance,
-Joe

1. When I first had it installed and opened I took it on a little ā€œbreak-inā€ drive just to get used to the sounds versus my hardtop. One thing I noticed is occasionally the wind will catch the flaps where it locks into the hardtop and those can make ā€œpoppingā€ sounds. One thing youā€™ll definitely want to do is make sure if you have it open, that you either roll the windows down a bit or open the sliding rear window, as the buffeting effect can be very annoying. I wouldnā€™t advise this, but Iā€™ve had my Jeep up to about 90 with it open and no issues, and it feels safe and secure at all speeds.

2. Iā€™ve used the Velcro bands a few times, but honestly itā€™s pretty secure folded back on its own. If youā€™re doing some serious rock crawling or ā€œdesert racingā€ then Iā€™d suggest wrapping the bands around the top.

3. I donā€™t use anything special. I hand wash my Jeep so Iā€™ll just go over it with some diluted car wash (I use Chemical Guysā€™ foaming wash), and just gently scrub and rinse the top. Havenā€™t noticed any wear or anything doing this.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
I never really bother cleaning but i do spray it with Griot's garage fabric protectant once about every 6 months. Possibly overkill. The product "restores"/keeps it black. It also adds the water repellant side. There are other similar products but I've had good experience with this one so far.

LowAltitude

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator High Altitude
The top has always felt secure. It is noisier than the hard panels when closed, but it doesnā€™t matter because it is so much easier to open and close that it is worth the sacrifice.

I have never used the Velcro on road, no issues.

just taking it through the car wash, although Iā€™m sure the pressure spray will wear out the top faster than if I only hand washed

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks Everyone, I really appreciate the responses!

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
2) don't worry so much about the velcro things, but it is a good idea if you've been bouncing around a lot to check the z clips before you close it. Sometimes they loosen and can break when you go to close it. It will be a warranty claim and they'll give you a new one, BUT that can be avoided.
JT, what do you mean by the "z" clips?

Sponsored

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, what do you mean by the "z" clips?

The Z clips are the silver clips that you feed through from the top into the hole in the side rail. Iā€™ve heard people have issues with those breaking, but youā€™d have to be pretty abusive on the top for that to break.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
The Z clips are the silver clips that you feed through from the top into the hole in the side rail. Iā€™ve heard people have issues with those breaking, but youā€™d have to be pretty abusive on the top for that to break.
If by very abusive you mean using it everyday, then yea I was very abusive. I had one break on my passenger side, didn't even realize it for a couple of weeks until I noticed it was less taught over there. Didn't leak through rain or anything. I eventually checked and the z clip was broken.

When I called bestop to submit a warranty claim, I asked how to prevent it and was advised to check the z clips once in a while before i close (or especially after bouncing around) so that they are seated correctly. It's easy to snap one I'd it's slipping out, and something I believe they hope to improve on design wise in the future.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Interesting, on the MOPAR version I didn't notice any Z clips and I am absolutely sure they are not mentioned in the instructions...

What is their purpose, and could the Z clips be specific to BesTop? (the MOPAR frame is completely put together from the factory, I know some of the other manufacturers require some steps to put it together. Maybe this is why there is no mention in the mopar instructions?)

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If by very abusive you mean using it everyday, then yea I was very abusive. I had one break on my passenger side, didn't even realize it for a couple of weeks until I noticed it was less taught over there. Didn't leak through rain or anything. I eventually checked and the z clip was broken.

When I called bestop to submit a warranty claim, I asked how to prevent it and was advised to check the z clips once in a while before i close (or especially after bouncing around) so that they are seated correctly. It's easy to snap one I'd it's slipping out, and something I believe they hope to improve on design wise in the future.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I havenā€™t noticed any issues with the Z clips on mine as everything is as snug and taught as the day I first installed it. I will say trying to get them attached and aligned in the hole the first time was a pain.
Sponsored