saratonin

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Hiya—

As in the heading, I'd like to switch my soft top out for a hard.

I would guess, aside from finding someone who literally wants to switch, the most realistic way to do this is just buy a hard top and try to sell the soft. Any better/simpler routes than that—companies that do a 'trade in' for example? (Thinking creatively...)

And if that IS the general way to do it—what considerations are there, re: how much $ to ask for seeing as it's not new (2021, bought new March 2022), if anyone knows ballpark shipping rates, is this a common thing that there's a reasonable market for, etc.?

I know there might not be much info on this, but I'm new to thinking about things like this and don't want to miss a simpler/better option if there is one.

Thanks!
Sarah
Sponsored

JeepCode4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Gladiator HA
Hiya—

As in the heading, I'd like to switch my soft top out for a hard.

I would guess, aside from finding someone who literally wants to switch, the most realistic way to do this is just buy a hard top and try to sell the soft. Any better/simpler routes than that—companies that do a 'trade in' for example? (Thinking creatively...)

And if that IS the general way to do it—what considerations are there, re: how much $ to ask for seeing as it's not new (2021, bought new March 2022), if anyone knows ballpark shipping rates, is this a common thing that there's a reasonable market for, etc.?

I know there might not be much info on this, but I'm new to thinking about things like this and don't want to miss a simpler/better option if there is one.

Thanks!
Sarah
I can help with a few things here, i looked to do this on my JL before i had the gladiator, should be the same. Essentially, you have to remove the soft top and the mounts that it ties into.

The freedom top (hard top) panels, require the hard top brackets. If you got a soft top and didnt get the dual top group, then you are missing those. The MOPAR ones are expensive, so i had bought these https://dv8offroad.com/products/wrangler-jl-hard-top-mounting-brackets

Then you need to get the freedom top panels, which come with the handles that latch onto those brackets.

For the rear portion, the existing torx screws should be fine. The defroster is pre-wired, there's a harness by the rear seat. The back portion is heavy. This should help -

That should be it.

For getting one, if you can find a black one as opposed to color matched, thats your best bet, shipping would be expensive, and need to be freight on a pallet. ~$500 or so perhaps on economy freight.

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
I'd check your local classifieds for a used HT, maybe post an offer for a trade. There's a HT on FB marketplace not far from me for $3k. I don't know it that's the going rate or he's a dreamer. Premium soft tops usually sell for $1500 or so around here.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
My Mojave only came with the soft top and I wanted to get the hard top for winter, I just ordered it right from the dealer when I bought the truck.

I want to say is was a bit under $2k and they installed it for me when it finally came in.

The only thing it didn't include was the interior plastic trim pieces above the rear window, which I didn't even notice until I put in the head liner. I think those were about $130.

My original plan was to sell the soft top but I had it on long enough to miss it now that I have the hard top.

I'll probably keep it or compromise and get a sunrider..

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
For kicks I checked all Mopar parts and it looks like $2k. Shipping to my address in NY the total is just under $2200.

https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-hardtop-6kh62tzzak

You might be able to get a better deal from the dealer as they usually have the 10% coupons for accessories. And you don't have to deal with a giant box in your driveway..

Screenshot_20230308_210241_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
You might try checking with local wrecking/salvage yards to see if they might have a wrecked Gladiator with a good complete undamaged hard top that they would sell along with the respective hard top mounting brackets.
Would be a fraction of the price compared to ordering a new one from the dealer parts dept.

Just a thought.

Dave

OP
OP
saratonin

saratonin

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I'd check your local classifieds for a used HT, maybe post an offer for a trade. There's a HT on FB marketplace not far from me for $3k. I don't know it that's the going rate or he's a dreamer. Premium soft tops usually sell for $1500 or so around here.
Thanks!

OP
OP
saratonin

saratonin

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
I put a WTT thread on here and someone from Florida drove up and we swapped tops in my driveway. The main thing is the bracketry for the freedom panels does not come on soft top only JTs and IIRC, not all JTs have the rear wiring connector for the rear window defrost. It took about 1 hour to swap both of our tops to each others vehicles. Doing it that way cost me $0 which was nice but if that's too much, uses hard tops aren't terribly expensive, then you can sell your soft top. This video was helpful when it came to figuring out how to remove the brackets from my JT and install on his:

56cbr600rr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Dont do it. Especially being in Miami... Wish I had a soft top.

Unless you need it for security/theft concerns..
Sponsored