Sponsored

Hard top or Soft top

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I have a 2020 . premium soft top from day 1. not garaged. Been in heat and cold. when it wears out, will get a replacement premium sift top.
Sponsored

Barnabyā€™sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I knew I was going to get a camper shell (accessibility with the soft top didnā€™t appeal to me and I donā€™t like the look of JTā€™s in that configuration) and I had security concerns, as I expected to have to go into the city on occasion, so I went with the hard top. The latter concern didnā€™t end up being an issue, but Iā€™m glad I went that route due to the camper shell.

Iā€™m sure people figure a way to access the rear portion of the soft top with a camper shell, but It would have ended up pissing me off. The Sunrider ended up being a decent solution for quick and easy partial open top driving.

If youā€˜re someone thatā€™s going to pretty much always have the windows down and the top open and you donā€™t have a security or accessibility concernā€¦just get the premium soft top.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I only speak from experience, so don't get mad all you hard top lovers. The gladiator/Jeep hard top is an over priced hunk of junk. If you like more noise, leaks, pain in the rear to remove and store with less headroom, then the hardtop is for you. IMO, buying a convertable and defeating its main appeal in the mid-size truck market is/was a huge mistake, I mean really, its one of the iconic super cool features that no other truck comes with. Would you buy a corvette and drop a briggs & stratton in it? nope, because the engine is what sets it apart in sports cars just like the ragtop JT. I saw it mentioned earlier in this post, I to bought a hardtop Dodge Dakota and regretted not getting the ragtop even to this day, what was I thinking. I do have the premium soft top and I don't miss the "Non-sense" of the goofy 3-piece hardtop at all. Now, the newer Front convertable Best-Top is also pretty cool, but the full ragtop is the bomb. I hauled my nasty 3-piece HT to the dump I was so dissappointed in its design & durability. Now?, no more leaks, no more water sloshing in the roof panels (if you don't believe me, the threads are on this site, search them) and I can go topless in a split second without having to worry about a place to store that silly plastic hard top. Never again will I make that dissapointing decission on a jeep. Remember this is only from 1st hand experience and my better judgement. I have had my JT 4 years now. anyone that tells them self "Its more secure" , "Its Safer" or "I live where its so cold, it would never heat up" Or "its hot where I live, it would never cool down" lies I tell you! Popping the top on date night is too cool. Premium Soft top all the way.
But can you take it through the carwash?

Klicht87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Veteran/DoD Program Analyst
I had the option between 2 exact JT Willys, one white (hardtop) and what zenith silver (softtop). I bought the silver with the premium softtop because I always thought it was a pain swapping my wife's JL hardtop with the softtop in the summers. I don't have a big garage so space was also a factor. I have been eyeing a hardtop for my gladiator, more for looks than anything but it's pricey to buy a new one. I have yet to find a used one for a good price by me.

My opinion - the dual top group is the best option. Or get with with the hardtop and buy a softtop or sunrider later. I guess it just depends on what your intentions are. I do see the premium softops new for sale all over the facebook marketplace. Not really sure why people are getting the dual top group and selling the softtop brand new in the box.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
worth remembering: people who opted for a JT softtop because of difficult experiences with a JLU hardtop are forgetting that the JLU hardtop (and even the JL hardtop) are heavier and harder to handle than the JT hardtop.

That being said, taking a JT hardtop off solo with no hoist is both completely doable, and a pain in the ass. Had gladiators for a little over 18 months now and I've taken the rear off maybe 10 times? I'm certain with a softtop i would have taken the rear window out way more often than that.

BUT, i still don't like the idea of a softtop in snow. I have street parking and never want to worry about clearing my truck off mid-storm. Snow is heavy, and no, i don't think the softtop can't handle the weight, but it certainly stretches it and stresses the stitching. Do that enough times and eventually there will be trouble.

So for me, hardtop with sunrider is the best option. Dual tops would be cooler, but also more expensive so no thanks.

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The rear part of the hardtop is about 60 pounds. I lifted mine with a come along and 1" straps around the top. In the west at 70-80 mph with cross-winds, I got a lot of wind noise, buffeting, buzzing with the soft top. I prefer the hardtop but would consider adding the sunrider.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I had both the hard top and soft top for my JT. If I would have had the space to store it I would have kept both but that was not the case and I had to make a decision on which was best. I sold the hard top and kept the Soft top since its likely the hard top was never going back on much. Everyone has their thoughts and opinions. Mine was the freedom panels were a pain in the ass. The premium soft top goes up or down in seconds and its just a few minutes if you want to take the whole thing off. I don't ever take my back window off since I often ride around with the doors off but the top up in safari mode. No issues with the cold or weather. The soft top is a bit noisier than the hard top but not that much unless you spend more money to add sound reduction items to the hard top. Hot Heads Headliner makes a liner for the soft top if you feel you need more but you cannot use your soft top while its on.

It really will just depend on what your plans are to do with the truck.

reverse01134

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have both soft top and hard top (recently bought a used one). I also have soft doors with same fabric as my premium twill top. With different top and door options, I can create so many different combinations that never makes me bored driving my Jeep! My favorite one is soft top down with rear window trim off and leaving the bottom half of soft doors.

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Another vote for the hard top/SunRider combo here. Less noise, better security/weatherproofing, glass rear window w/defrost and much longer life of the hardtop... and I can flip the SunRider open in about two seconds to get all of the convertible experience I want (or close it back in two seconds if it starts raining). The freedom panels are... ok... but they take several minutes to take off/store or put back on... they're just cumbersome to deal with... to the point where most of the time I opted to just not fool with them. On the other hand, I open my SunRider and enjoy the open air practically every time I drive my Gladiator. 100% would buy again.

Sponsored

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
Another vote for the hard top/SunRider combo here. Less noise, better security/weatherproofing, glass rear window w/defrost and much longer life of the hardtop... and I can flip the SunRider open in about two seconds to get all of the convertible experience I want (or close it back in two seconds if it starts raining). The freedom panels are... ok... but they take several minutes to take off/store or put back on... they're just cumbersome to deal with... to the point where most of the time I opted to just not fool with them. On the other hand, I open my SunRider and enjoy the open air practically every time I drive my Gladiator. 100% would buy again.
Exactly why I added a Sunrider to my Gladiator. I like the security of the hardtop and Freedom Panels, but I seldom removed the panels because of the inconvenience of storing the panels once removed. Didn't want to leave them at home just in case of rain. With the Sunrider I can open or close the top in seconds at will.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I had the option between 2 exact JT Willys, one white (hardtop) and what zenith silver (softtop). I bought the silver with the premium softtop because I always thought it was a pain swapping my wife's JL hardtop with the softtop in the summers. I don't have a big garage so space was also a factor. I have been eyeing a hardtop for my gladiator, more for looks than anything but it's pricey to buy a new one. I have yet to find a used one for a good price by me.

My opinion - the dual top group is the best option. Or get with with the hardtop and buy a softtop or sunrider later. I guess it just depends on what your intentions are. I do see the premium softops new for sale all over the facebook marketplace. Not really sure why people are getting the dual top group and selling the softtop brand new in the box.
Opting for the dual top from the factory reduces payload numbers as the factory weights your truck with both tops.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
I have a hardtop Gladiator. I take the top off in May and put it back on in October. While hardtop is off, I keep a safari top on. It leaves it open, but blocks the sun and light rain.

My wife has a Wrangler Sahara. It has a hardtop from May until October, then we switch to the soft top. I want to transition her to a Sunrider in the fall.

Hardtops are much better fir cold weather than softies. Plus, they're better about road noise.