Sponsored

Hard Top or Soft

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It’s cheaper to buy the soft top later, than to buy the hard top later... So, take that advice as you will.
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I’d say wait and see if they come out with the one touch power top like they have for the JL
Now that would be cool. Don't know if I'd fork over the $4 grand, though.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Get the hard top and you can have my soft top. The hard top is easy to pull off and keeps the noise out.
I wouldn't have any place to store it my garage is packed
It’s cheaper to buy the soft top later, than to buy the hard top later... So, take that advice as you will.
Its a matter of storage I just don't have space to store a hard top and then take it off. My garage is loaded up with camping, kayaks, etc. If I had the space I would likely do a dual top but the storage is not there and I am not wanting to buy the truck to keep the top on. If that would be the case I would just keep my Dodge Ram 1500 and keep cruising in style and comfort.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I wouldn't have any place to store it my garage is packed

Its a matter of storage I just don't have space to store a hard top and then take it off. My garage is loaded up with camping, kayaks, etc. If I had the space I would likely do a dual top but the storage is not there and I am not wanting to buy the truck to keep the top on. If that would be the case I would just keep my Dodge Ram 1500 and keep cruising in style and comfort.
If you get a hard top you are not going to take it off as frequently as you would like.

I love my soft top, and have no regrets about ordering mine with it. It is the premium top, and I daily my gladiator. It was a non-issue during the winter or during any inclement weather. I keep the rear window removed 99% of the time in the summer, and remove the top entirely anytime there is no rain in the forecast.

Iabonir

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I vote hard top, the soft top flipped back looks retarded and I really don't like the look of the soft tops on the JT's, just looks awkward. I can have my hard top off in 10 minutes or less, freedoms panels out 2 minutes or less. With a Bedcover you can store the freedom panels in the rear easily without messing them up, they fit perfect back there. The rear of the hard top only weighs about 20lbs, it's not like the JKU hardtop, it's really light, I am only 5ft 4 and I can pick it up and walk right off the bed of the truck carrying it and I'm lifted 2.5" on 35's. I just set it on the floor in the garage until I'm ready to put it back on. I got a soft top as well but it will never be used and it will never come out of the box it came in.
The rear of the hard top weighs about 53lbs but it’s definitely light enough that’s it’s not a hassle

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
The rear of the hard top weighs about 53lbs but it’s definitely light enough that’s it’s not a hassle
Didn't weigh it but it feels lighter than that to me but if you say it is I'll trust it. I know if I get my arm right in the middle through the back glass I can carry it with 1 arm and it leaning against my side.

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
If you get a soft top you can haul 10-ft sections of PVC like this:

53FFBF17-1229-4B09-9A1C-B9CF1BF35BEE.jpeg

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
If the soft top didn't look so stupid on the truck it would have more weight in the argument.

That said...I have a soft on my JKUR and I like it. Its noisier and hotter (Texas guy here) but I like it. The hard tops are just too heavy and bulky. But for the Gladiator the hard top is just too easy...its light, easy to remove, not very large and insulates better. Plus it just looks better. To me the only thing the soft top has over the hard top is you can open the entire cab on the go...but how often does the rear just HAS TO BE opened to have fun? That and you have to have a place to store a hard top.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
To me the only thing the soft top has over the hard top is you can open the entire cab on the go...but how often does the rear just HAS TO BE opened to have fun? That and you have to have a place to store a hard top.
Yep. That's why I got the hardtop plus Sunrider for HT.

But each to his own.

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Hardtop is a must in AZ, too damn hot otherwise. Also I have hauled 16 foot crown molding/basebard in mine with the hardtop going through the rear window without issue.

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hardtop is a must in AZ, too damn hot otherwise. Also I have hauled 16 foot crown molding/basebard in mine with the hardtop going through the rear window without issue.
I just ordered the Hot Heads liner for my HT too. Sound strips, side panels and all. Was driving around Texas in this heat wave we are having this week and man...I was glad I didn't have a soft top but even the hard top needs some help.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I just ordered the Hot Heads liner for my HT too. Sound strips, side panels and all. Was driving around Texas in this heat wave we are having this week and man...I was glad I didn't have a soft top but even the hard top needs some help.
If I had storage I would do dual top but I got no place to store. Even if i took the hard top off I wouldn't have a place to store it.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I prefer the hard top for the following reasons pertinent to me:

Stronger support - I plan on having a half-rack on mine. I want the option. It's easier for me to take the rack off and hard top off if I want Gladys to go naked on the rare occasions it is nice enough for long enough to do so. But a soft top I'd never be able to get a roof rack on. At least not the JCR half rack

Deters vandalism - you can cut a soft top, no matter how tuff. Some protester might decide to slash it out of spite for my white privilege. Hard top can at least take some abuse.

Snow - if there is a lot of heavy snow I'll feel better knowing that in the morning my soft top won't be sagging under snow. Yes, the premium soft tops are tough and can support a lot, hard top can support more and is easier to get the snow off.

Soft top pulled back looks rediculous. The drag on that thing always makes me worry it will EVENTUALLY just fly off, despite folks saying otherwise. All things have their limits, and eventually all the vibration and pushing from wind will loosen something.

Why can't Jeep offer an automated retractable top like on the Sahara?

olegs

First Name
OS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2011 Ram Power Wagon, 2015 Audi S8
Soft top for sure.
My JTL came with the hardtop. I just got the soft top, and love it.
One step process. Takes about 30 seconds to fold down, and another 30 seconds to put back up. One person task.
no noticeable noise or heat difference.
I don’t think I’ll ever put the hardtop back on!
I do leave the back window installed.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Why can't Jeep offer an automated retractable top like on the Sahara?
It's made by a third party. If the manufacturer develops one for Gladiator, I expect Jeep will also offer it.
Sponsored