First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
I have it burned into my brain never to run power steering at full lock, one reason I didn't like PS as a youngster. My wife has no hesitation, I KNOW it's not bad, gotta override my lizard brain.....
I hear you, I grew up learning the same. The difference now is the electric steering vs the hydraulic steering of year past.
Sponsored

Brass

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Question: so if we remap one of our cruise buttons, we can't use that cruise feature anymore?
Example: map turn assist to cruise resume and you lose the ability to resume cruise speed.

Or does the button remap only work when cruise is off?

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
remap only work when cruise is off
you got it

Just an FYI though... when this feature debuted on the Bronco a LOT of jeepheads got pissy about how using it would tear up trails way more than a 3 point turn and doesn't jive with Tread Lightly principles. They're not wrong, but the backlash may have been more a function of disliking the bronco because they hate change rather than disliking the bronco for legitimate reasons.

Freems

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport 2022 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
AKA steering breaks, I put them on a Baja bug I built 35 years ago. They were manual lever actuated not electronic, killer idea.

Sponsored

Brass

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
using it would tear up trails way more than a 3 point turn.
I'm honestly more interested in tight roads with oncoming traffic.
I was making a U-turn once that at first glance was wide enough for my JT, but in practice turned out not to be. Doing a 3-point turn on a road with traffic coming at you is not fun, having a button I could hit next time the turn seems a bit tight just to prevent that from happening would be much more preferable.
When I'm on the trail, I'm typically taking my time and don't mind a 3-point turn. But regardless, just having this as another tool in the kit is always welcome.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I'm honestly more interested in tight roads with oncoming traffic.
I was making a U-turn once that at first glance was wide enough for my JT, but in practice turned out not to be. Doing a 3-point turn on a road with traffic coming at you is not fun, having a button I could hit next time the turn seems a bit tight just to prevent that from happening would be much more preferable.
When I'm on the trail, I'm typically taking my time and don't mind a 3-point turn. But regardless, just having this as another tool in the kit is always welcome.
Have to be in 4x4.

Brass

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
So I tested this out in a parking lot, and on pavement I didn't notice a difference.

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
So I tested this out in a parking lot, and on pavement I didn't notice a difference.
The guy above you said it only works in 4x4. Did you try it?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Better to try it on loose dirt.

Sponsored

Brass

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
The guy above you said it only works in 4x4. Did you try it?
Yes, it was working, you could hear the system applying the brakes and lights on the instrument cluster were blinking.

Better to try it on loose dirt.
Yeah, I intend to try that the next time I'm on a trail that can handle it.

To be clear, I'm not bashing the feature. I'm simply noting my experience on pavement, which I understand is not what the feature was intended for. I tested this because the only times I've personally felt like I needed a tighter turning radius were on narrow paved roads.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
This is pretty neat, but I've never been on the trail taking a tight turn and felt the need for something like this. It just hasn't been necessary, whether on rocks, sand, or tight muddy trails in the woods. I may dial it up and just see how it works, though. But I doubt I'm going to get into a situation where I'll think it will make any signifficant difference. Maybe on a longer wheelbase Gladiator, but not on my JL. I don't recall my brother having any issue, either, though, in his Gladiator. But I'm sure he'll want to update his Tazer and try it, too.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Yes, it was working, you could hear the system applying the brakes and lights on the instrument cluster were blinking.

Yeah, I intend to try that the next time I'm on a trail that can handle it.

To be clear, I'm not bashing the feature. I'm simply noting my experience on pavement, which I understand is not what the feature was intended for. I tested this because the only times I've personally felt like I needed a tighter turning radius were on narrow paved roads.
This is pretty neat, but I've never been on the trail taking a tight turn and felt the need for something like this. It just hasn't been necessary, whether on rocks, sand, or tight muddy trails in the woods. I may dial it up and just see how it works, though. But I doubt I'm going to get into a situation where I'll think it will make any signifficant difference. Maybe on a longer wheelbase Gladiator, but not on my JL. I don't recall my brother having any issue, either, though, in his Gladiator. But I'm sure he'll want to update his Tazer and try it, too.
Here's my experience using it.

Gray Matter Jeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
n/a
I use this feature a few times per day to help keep up on trails with shorter wheel base Jeeps (Wranglers & Cherokees). I'm talking about tight tree infested 1-5 mph technical trails!

It definitely uses the Anti-lock braking system, not your drive-train.

I turn it on whenever I drop my transfer case into 4Lo, then it will jump into action next time I fully turn (lock) my steering wheel right or left. Warning: It is rather odd hearing your ABS system pulse, despite not pressing on your brakes.

Personally I have it programed to the DOWN arrow (and rear facing camera programed to the UP arrow).

If you are not impressed, you're not on a tight enough trail... I too tested it in a gravel parking and was like "Meh, it's just hype" then I started to experience a much more impressive response in real world trail action. It is especially impressive on muddy trails.

So, next time you are between a rock & a hard place, try it out.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: