Sponsored

Temporary Hinge Protection

GladLad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
I'll be adding front Rockblokz when I get my Glad, too keep it more chip free. While still having easy removal for offroad.

Since I have to fly out to pick it up, then drive home 10+ hours, I was considering a temporary chip protection until I get the Rockblokz.

Maybe Xpel or 3M film, or cheap set of $25 hinge covers from Amazon. I'm really just concerned with the front face that would take a rock though.

Are any of these options easy to remove, or are they a real pain to remove? In thinking if they stay on for years, they must be pretty stuck on there.

I know, being overly protective of something I'll be chipping/scratching up. I'm in that baby the thing I don't even have yet phase.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DirectHit

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave JT , 2021 Rubicon JL
When I picked mine up from the dealership I brought a roll of electrical tape and taped up the hinges before I left. The salesman looked at me like ‘WTF’ are you doing? When I explained, he thought it was genius😂

OP
OP
GladLad

GladLad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
When I picked mine up from the dealership I brought a roll of electrical tape and taped up the hinges before I left. The salesman looked at me like ‘WTF’ are you doing? When I explained, he thought it was genius😂
It is genius and makes me feel stupid for not considering it. Here I am thinking of purpose built protective tape, wondering if it's too sticky. When I could just use multiple layers of something like painters or electrical tape.

What was your more permanent solution after getting home?

DirectHit

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave JT , 2021 Rubicon JL
I ordered Rock stopperz film from Amazon on my way home. So the electrical tape was on for a couple of days.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I agree just tape it, or did you get the mud flaps yet , they go on really easy pack them in your overnight bag, do it in a parking lot somewhere, welcome!…..Jack

Sponsored

FreedomWV

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Freedom Edition High Velocity
Occupation
Business
It snowed the day after I picked my truck up, they cindered the roads and I have several rock chips on my hinges. Wish I’d have taped mine up…. I put the weather tech on mine but was too late.

OP
OP
GladLad

GladLad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
I agree just tape it, or did you get the mud flaps yet , they go on really easy pack them in your overnight bag, do it in a parking lot somewhere, welcome!…..Jack
I considered that, just figured it'd be more of a hassle bringing it on a carry-on flight, and installing quickly. I'll watch an install video to reconsider.

OP
OP
GladLad

GladLad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
It snowed the day after I picked my truck up, they cindered the roads and I have several rock chips on my hinges. Wish I’d have taped mine up…. I put the weather tech on mine but was too late.
Ok, so I'm not wrong to want to protect right away, even if temporary. I imagine I'll encounter some construction in a 10+ hour drive.

FreedomWV

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Freedom Edition High Velocity
Occupation
Business
I would, I’m still waiting on my touch up paint. Apparently High Velocity is on back order per my dealership.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Blue painters tape and multiple layers. it's used by road racers to protect from rocks and it's what I used when I brought my Porsche from Minnesota to Florida on the long road trip as it was going to be following my trailer.

Other option is to use the cheap hinge protectors. I added them since I wanted protection off road. If you want them to look less cheap, hit them with a few coats of black plasti-dip, it removes that chintzy plastic look

Sponsored

OP
OP
GladLad

GladLad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Blue painters tape and multiple layers. it's used by road racers to protect from rocks and it's what I used when I brought my Porsche from Minnesota to Florida on the long road trip as it was going to be following my trailer.

Other option is to use the cheap hinge protectors. I added them since I wanted protection off road. If you want them to look less cheap, hit them with a few coats of black plasti-dip, it removes that chintzy plastic look
I think I'll go with painter's tape. Easy, comes off easy, and sort of matches the blue I guess. 😁

If I like the look of the hinges I might go that route more permanently for off road. Just not sold on look yet with color, would have to see in person. The cheap Amazon ones don't seem to have much of a leading edge to them, only covering the side. Like they wouldn't protect from a rock straight on as it's still just paint there. Threedom might be a better choice, but not spending for temporary.

Also wondering how they do with dirt and holding water, increasing corrosion perhaps.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I'll be adding front Rockblokz when I get my Glad, too keep it more chip free. While still having easy removal for offroad.
Overland steps are great for this.
Sponsored