Sponsored

Tested out the payload capability with Mopar Lift

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I disagree. The fact that there are various suspension options that change the payload on various vehicles tells us that this is an important factor. Unsprung weight wouldn't affect suspension. Although, you can't really change the unsprung weight by a huge amount without replacing things like axles, and now the entire capacity rating is out the window anyway.
From an engineering standpoint, yes, suspension is probably the only limiting factor. However, from a practical standpoint, they don't weigh just the unsprung weight for GVWR so even if you add 150lbs in tires and wheels, it's still going to count against your payload rating.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I still disagree, here's the logic... We can tow 7k+ pounds. So pulling more weight is not an issue. There are vehicles with the same axles and tires that have higher payload, so those aren't an issue. Therefore, I think it's logical that adding 100 pounds to an axle would not affect payload. Yet, probably not relevant, since I can't think of any way to actually do that.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I still disagree, here's the logic... We can tow 7k+ pounds. So pulling more weight is not an issue. There are vehicles with the same axles and tires that have higher payload, so those aren't an issue. Therefore, I think it's logical that adding 100 pounds to an axle would not affect payload. Yet, probably not relevant, since I can't think of any way to actually do that.
I think you're missing my point... I agree with what you're saying here in that from an engineering perspective, the suspension is probably the only limiting factor in the payload differences and loading yourself up to the combined GAWR ratings (6,850lbs for all) is probably safe. The fact the GAWR is identical across the entire line means the differentiating factor has to be the cause and in this case, that's just suspension. Though that also assumes stock setup so if you max that out and throw on some heavy 37's, you still very might be out of range on the axles.

But from a practical, we are checking the GVWR of your truck to see if you are overweight legal definition of breaking GVWR perspective, it doesn't matter where the weight is - if it's above the contact patch of the tires, it's counting against you.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Oh, gotcha. I don't think any of us worry about the weight gestapo checking us out. I have towed oversize a hell of a lot (over 10' wide). Nobody cares. I've asked cops directly about what they would do about it, and they shrug and say they don't know anything about towing laws. I asked a commercial enforcement guy and he said "your not commercial, we can't do anything." I've towed cross country multiple times with a trailer that was obviously too wide, 12' tall, and 40' long. Not a glance.

You are right on GVWR and legal matters for sure.

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
I disagree
You are correct. I was thinking GCVR. Which is basically the weight of the truck and anything on / in it on a scale.

I do think that the GCVR and payload capacity are related, just not sure how the calculation works.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Oh, gotcha. I don't think any of us worry about the weight gestapo checking us out. I have towed oversize a hell of a lot (over 10' wide). Nobody cares. I've asked cops directly about what they would do about it, and they shrug and say they don't know anything about towing laws. I asked a commercial enforcement guy and he said "your not commercial, we can't do anything." I've towed cross country multiple times with a trailer that was obviously too wide, 12' tall, and 40' long. Not a glance.

You are right on GVWR and legal matters for sure.
Yeah legally there is no issue with light trucks in any state I know of (or the Tacoma guys would be crying their eyes out) but that doesn't mean someone can't go after you if something bad happens. If you end up in an accident and the other guy has a lawyer that thinks you were 800lbs overweight, if they check they can use that against you in court and they won't give a damn that the weight is unsprung.

BLK74

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pilot, Corvette
Don’t forget to subtract 120lbs for fuel from payload rating as well. A vehicles tow rating is often irrelevant because you max out payload before You max out tow rating due to hitch weight.
Sponsored