Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Among the big projects keeping me beyond busy the last 2 or 3 months was modifying and expanding a retaining wall. I had the blocks on hand from taking out another wall and replacing it with a larger one, bigger blocks, but due to the length and having steps in the middle, didn't have enough caps. The guy doing the bulk of the heavy work said he'd go get them or I could. He'd charge his normal hourly rate - plus the trip charge for use of his truck. Heck no, I'll go get them. Caps, need 20, 53 pounds each. I think that's about 1,060 pounds.
No problem, in fact the truck sat pretty nice, maybe a bit lower in the back judging by seeing more of the hood in front of me, it just looked different, but from the side, the rake was about gone, but that was about it. Sat pretty level with 1060 pounds of concrete caps in it.
Funny thing - the yard worker came over with his forklift and asked what I was after, I pointed to the concrete caps, and he started to ask where my truck was (I was standing by - yup, my Gladiator. He gave me a look like - are you serious?? Yup. I think he was impressed.....
It was the first "real test" of the truck with the max tow springs under the rear and I was pleased with how it sat.

Back at home, the caps unloaded, we talked about the paver walk-way, I changed my mind on how I wanted the walking path done and told them I wanted a paver edging block of some sort next to the walkway. I found some at Menards, I figured how many I needed (24, they said they had 56 in stock) and headed in to town.

3-3/4 x 11-3/4 x 3-3/4 Sienna Cobblestone Edger Block
Model Number: 1792696 Menards® SKU: 1792696
12 pounds each

I get there, pay, go out to their yard and a fellow lifts up the pallet with a forklift (same guy who helped with the load of wall caps) to make it easier loading in my truck. As I'm stacking he says - you know, these are a closeout and usually if you say you'll take the rest they'll give you a heck of a great deal so they can be done with them and not stuck with a small number. We talk to the guy in charge of that area - deal, 15 bucks for 'the rest'.
I originally bought the 24 I needed, they had 56, so I figured 15 bucks for 32 more blocks is ok. I go up and pay, he goes back out to continue loading.
I get back to my truck and he has this look - he says - you have 50 in your truck and this pallet is still pretty full, there's more than 40 left on here. OK, technically I bought all the rest for one price.........
In among loading those blocks, 12 pounds each (keep that number in mind) I get a call - our guy says I need 10 more caps........... at 53 pounds each - the yard guy at Menards and I agreed - nope, not adding another 500+ pounds to what's already in there.
So what was in there that had me thinking "no more!" ?
150 paver edging blocks weighing 12 pounds each. The truck sat level - but it did have a feel like I shouldn't try any stupid maneuvers.......
So, kids who are any good at all with math - what sort of weight was on that truck?
If you said "1800 pounds" you'd likely be right, or pretty close.
Even if they were only 11 pounds, or 10.5 pounds..... it was a load. I figured at least 1600 even if their advertised weight was off a bit. It really didn't sit lower than it did with the 1060 pounds in it. Obviously I had the weight distributed well, but still.
I took it home, unloaded, and went back after the other 500 pounds worth of caps.

Jeep Gladiator Tested the max tow springs.......... 20210331_132206_HDR

20 wall caps, 53 pounds each, total 1060 pounds. The 2 stacks of 3 in the center are right over the axle, the rear two stacks right behind the axle, and the front 2 stacks of 4 are just ahead of the axle.

Jeep Gladiator Tested the max tow springs.......... 20210331_131039

1060 pounds in the back -

Jeep Gladiator Tested the max tow springs.......... 20210331_131024

Jeep Gladiator Tested the max tow springs.......... 20210331_131054_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Tested the max tow springs.......... 20210331_132222_HDR
Sponsored

Last edited:

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Sounds good. Let's remember not to get too extreme, because in the pickup world I know of people who have increased the spring rate and then bent the axle housing when overloading. Your load should be safe; I just don't want a reader to think, OK, lets just add a bit more weight, the bed isn't full yet!

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds good. Let's remember not to get too extreme, because in the pickup world I know of people who have increased the spring rate and then bent the axle housing when overloading. Your load should be safe; I just don't want a reader to think, OK, lets just add a bit more weight, the bed isn't full yet!
150% agree with you. I would have never PLANNED on what happened! I went intending to buy 24, made the deal to "buy the rest" which the web site said was 56 total. The other guy was loading while I was paying so the true number wasn't known until later.
I should have been WAY under payload at only 600-700 pounds with 56 blocks. Then while we loaded, in my head I figured, ok - it's looking more like 100 or so. I figured I was over where I should be and knew that the 500 of the caps would be way over.
It's when I got home and unloaded I realized - there's no way that's only 100 blocks! And I counted them TWICE as I stacked and restacked.

The pic of the caps in the truck - 20 of them - the truck looks like hey, it's not even HALF full, plenty of room, I can haul twice as many and still not be crowded or stacked over 4 high, right? Yeah, right - those 20 blocks were 1060 pounds! Double that would have been 2100 pounds! A TON and then some.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
If the payload of a 1989 Comanche Metric Ton is a 2200 lbs, I think you would have been fine... ;) (yes I know, coils vs leafs)

In all seriousness, it looks good! It's almost worth the reaction I'm sure you got from the dude loading it up.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If the payload of a 1989 Comanche Metric Ton is a 2200 lbs, I think you would have been fine... ;) (yes I know, coils vs leafs)

In all seriousness, it looks good! It's almost worth the reaction I'm sure you got from the dude loading it up.
Yeah, I almost laughed out loud. It was priceless. He comes driving up with the forklift, asks which I'm after, I point to the pallet of wall cap blocks and his look said it all - his expression was like-and you are putting those in what? He actually quickly scanned the area looking for a truck. I pointed to mine and lowered the tailgate.
Sponsored