Sponsored

The Robocon on 38's

Rumpofsteelskin

Active Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
42
Reaction score
122
Location
NC
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
I bought a used 2021 Willys with a 6-Speed manual on 26 October 2024. The previous owner had installed Oracle LED headlights, and someone that crawled under it prior to my ownership installed a joke.

When the stock tires need replacing, I put on 315 Patagonia MT-02’s, Oracle tails and bumper lights, and a 2” AEV spacer lift.

As I rounded out my retirement plan, I decided to add:

Metalcloak 3.5” Gamechanger lift
Raceline Avenger beadlocks (17x9, -12mm offset)
Milestar Patagonia MT-02 (38x13.50r17)
AAL front bumper
Badlands Apex winch
Stock Rubicon fenders
Max Tow axles, Artec-trussed, with 5.38 gears (E-locked front/LSD rear)

The only work that I did not do myself was installing the gears and locker, I found someone here that wanted to uograde, and I thank them!

Drama time:

Today, I buttoned up everything except swapping the front driveshaft, went to fill it up with gasoline, speed limit was 45, and it drove very well. Impressive, even.

Fueled up, headed back on rhe higher speed limit route (55 MPH), got about halfway back, and it took me into the oncoming lane, shaking suddenly and violently. I let it cruise down to 25-ish, and it stopped. I was only about a mile from home, I drove 25 the rest of the way. My dumb ass was thinking, “So… This is death wobble… Okay, work it out.” I guess the military programmed panic clean out of my system. Kinda wondering why I didn’t panic…

38’s and 5.38’s with the 6MT was nice (at state road speeds), the clutch didn’t feel as weird as stock, and I could roll up to speed in the intermediate gears whereas I usually had to downshift with the stock arrangement. These gears might be a touch low for freeway speed with these tires, but I usually avoid driving yardstick sized tires on a 3 ton boxcar at 70. Betcha the 20 MPG that I was so proud of on 35’s is gone!

As I got it:

Jeep Gladiator The Robocon on 38's IMG_2735


Bumper and Winch

Jeep Gladiator The Robocon on 38's IMG_4720


Fenders

Jeep Gladiator The Robocon on 38's IMG_4944


Currently

Jeep Gladiator The Robocon on 38's 483293-9f208e2ccb06c38170edea30cb8598b1


The Joke:

Jeep Gladiator The Robocon on 38's IMG_5244
Sponsored

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jteakus

Well-Known Member
First Name
Teakus
Joined
Feb 19, 2022
Threads
20
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
3,783
Location
Oil City, LA
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD, 2017 JKU, 1983 CJ-7
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
1
I would check balance on the tires.
 
OP
OP

Rumpofsteelskin

Active Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
42
Reaction score
122
Location
NC
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
I would check balance on the tires.
Thank you. One more thing that I have added to the list. Ive been scouring this site (and every other corner of the ‘net), making a list of checks.

So far, I’m planning to review all measurements, torque values, and geometry, then check all rod ends, then get pros to do the alignment specs and tire balancing.

Just thought about it: Wonder if the weight of 18 gallons of fuel made a difference… It didn’t happen at that speed until fuel was added. The road is a smooth repave.
 

drexotic

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jeffrey
Joined
Mar 15, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
117
Reaction score
179
Location
San Diego
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Exotic Animal Veterinarian
I would check balance on the tires.
This. And get it aligned. While it's off the ground have them, or you, check that there is no excessive play in bushings or joints and that all the bolts are torqued correctly.
Sponsored

 
 







Top