Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
After 5375 fuelly says 22 mpg average not bad if you ask me!!

20211118_191211.jpg

Screenshot_20211118-191101_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Made it back to my parents cabin in Tahoe after doing Rubicon. Made it to caddy hill as planned. Tomorrow I am hoping to go to sf to make it coast to coast before work... or I'll have to do it Sunday or Monday.

IMG_7738.jpg

IMG_7755.jpg

IMG_7766.jpg

IMG_7721.jpg

IMG_7772.jpg

20211119_153746.jpg

19Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built JKUR to an F150 FX4, to my 2022 Mojave!
51 and 26. I would not do 51 stock. I could not get to the rock or cropping sky 300 yards short of its training even less. Nemo Tunnel was fun water almost to my bumper prob 60 or 70%of my tires covered. It had rained the 2 days before.
I'm loving this thread! You're so Jeep cool!

I'm picking up my Mojave at Gupton when it comes in. If you could only do Nemo Tunnel OR Wind Rock, which would do? And why? (I'll be 100% stock)

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is a great thread! Nice truck! I’ve spent 6 months on the road covering 13 states after the loss of my mother. (She was 93 and lived a good life). Like Forrest Gump, I was running!Cherish this time with your father as mine has been gone since 2006. I had a wonderful trip 13,000 miles towing my GeoPro. The hardest part was returning home to the realization she’s no longer here. Headed out west again in a few weeks to continue my adventures. Thanks for a great post!

Rubicon, here I come!

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red

I'm picking up my Mojave at Gupton when it comes in. If you could only do Nemo Tunnel OR Wind Rock, which would do? And why? (I'll be 100% stock)
I'll preface this with I've not done either but my neighbor just got back from Tennessee 2 weeks ago and did both in a lightly built Tacoma. He said Nemo's tunnel was cool enough they did it twice and played in the trails near it, while windrock was just kind of tough and technical if you aren't on 35+ and built.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor

I would choose Nemo to be honest. More fun, for somebody not wanting to screw up there new toy anyway. My dad did enjoy it more than Windrock I think. We didnt get nearly as lost. I went down the tracks for about .25 mile before turning back and then finding the actual tunnel. Then we did some light wheeling we didnt go very far as I really really wanted to hit Windrock and go to some other National parks. Ended up going back to Nemo/ OBED for their night sky it was amazing! Windrock in the summer would be easy enough I think to maybe do Panther Rock, but since it has already started raining its not doable in stock form 16 was easy and has some nice views of the valley/view of the Smokey's. Nemo is free not that Windrock was expensive but It was 56 bucks for both of us as they charge per person instead of vehicle, but they make the park nice and clean.
Really depends on how much time you have. Windrock has tons of trails, but I think Nemo was pretty cool in itself. I hope this helps if not let me know.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
This is a great thread! Nice truck! I’ve spent 6 months on the road covering 13 states after the loss of my mother. (She was 93 and lived a good life). Like Forrest Gump, I was running!Cherish this time with your father as mine has been gone since 2006. I had a wonderful trip 13,000 miles towing my GeoPro. The hardest part was returning home to the realization she’s no longer here. Headed out west again in a few weeks to continue my adventures. Thanks for a great post!

Rubicon, here I come!
I met one of your statesmen last night on the trail. He rented a JLUR from Reno and rocked the trail to almost the hill and turned back with us as it was getting dark. Im sorry to hear about your mom. Doing this the 2nd time this year was a blast. The first was with the 49 truck my mom bought my dad in 78 for their wedding gift. I drove it to Chicago from LA entire r66 and then back on 80. My dad flew out and joined me in Chicago and road back on 80 with me. While these trips are pricey the memories are priceless.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Straight up, you’re my hero. Hitting it hard, across the continent, right out of the box with dad riding shotgun.

Legend.
Thanks! It was a blast, and a great way to break her in. Didnt abuse her just used her a bit lol.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
It was great meeting you! Whoever gets out to the Reno area or Eastern Sierra's. Hit me up. Let's go camping or light wheeling.

Sponsored

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
I'm on 37s with a Clayton 2.5 and a good chunk of skids so I'm fairly far from stock, but yeah 51 looked tough and 16 looked especially brutal. Thanks for sharing and all the great pictures. Looks like such a great trip.
I attempted 51 on 35's, came in from the top side.. the issue is deep ruts, If your not concerned about fenders, your good send it.. I was scared to lay my new truck in them! diesel gladiator are just beast on the trail, Im way more confident in the JT capabilities now.

Last edited:

19Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built JKUR to an F150 FX4, to my 2022 Mojave!
I would choose Nemo to be honest. More fun, for somebody not wanting to screw up there new toy anyway. My dad did enjoy it more than Windrock I think. We didnt get nearly as lost. I went down the tracks for about .25 mile before turning back and then finding the actual tunnel. Then we did some light wheeling we didnt go very far as I really really wanted to hit Windrock and go to some other National parks. Ended up going back to Nemo/ OBED for their night sky it was amazing! Windrock in the summer would be easy enough I think to maybe do Panther Rock, but since it has already started raining its not doable in stock form 16 was easy and has some nice views of the valley/view of the Smokey's. Nemo is free not that Windrock was expensive but It was 56 bucks for both of us as they charge per person instead of vehicle, but they make the park nice and clean.
Really depends on how much time you have. Windrock has tons of trails, but I think Nemo was pretty cool in itself. I hope this helps if not let me know.
Thank you for the detailed reply! That is EXACTLY what I needed. I'll be short on time, and I'll have 4 guys in my JT and 4 in my nephew's JTR, so Nemo sounds perfect.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
You are setting the bar pretty high for others picking up at Gupton. Sure..... you got a JT and then drove home, I'll cross America with Dad, hitting trails others only dream about, selling tires to Kindred spirits along the way, hitting tough trails while carrying the old suspension in the bed (probably should have sold that somewhere in the middle of America). Yup you have done more wheeling driving home from the dealer then most people on this forum will do in years! Awesome......Jack

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Yea I lost my mom when I turned 21 right after the asshole teenage years :(
Damn I feel that. I lost my mom when I was 27, yesterday was her 61st birthday. Breaks my heart every time.

Awesome trip man!

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
You are setting the bar pretty high for others picking up at Gupton. Sure..... you got a JT and then drove home, I'll cross America with Dad, hitting trails others only dream about, selling tires to Kindred spirits along the way, hitting tough trails while carrying the old suspension in the bed (probably should have sold that somewhere in the middle of America). Yup you have done more wheeling driving home from the dealer then most people on this forum will do in years! Awesome......Jack
I tried I almost sold it in OH but the guy didn't get back to me until I was about 300 miles south :( . O well hopefully somebody in ca wants it. Thank you for the kind words!!
Sponsored