Sponsored

This much rust after 1 year/4k miles?

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Hey there,

I realize all cars exposed to salt will rust... However, does this amount of undercarriage rust seem normal for a 1-year old Jeep with only 4k miles? To me, it seems excessive for the age/mileage.

Jeep Gladiator This much rust after 1 year/4k miles? PXL_20240308_000306395[4656]
Sponsored

WanderingJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Blue Overland - Prev, 2014 Polar JKU
Occupation
contract manager
I had more at 4k but I am in the N.E. with salt and I got mine in Nov so it wasnt long before it saw salt. I was going to film the underneath but never did. Anyways, I would guess that's a normal amount for where it is but you'll need someone from your area to chime in. Ours rust underneath when you drive off the lot.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
If you've been in brined and salted spray I'd say sadly, yes.
Mine has seen neither, and I'm disappointed to see some rust beginning to develop in similar places.
I'm still debating getting under it with a can of Rustoleum black, or trying the Chemical Guys barebones I just bought.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If you've been in brined and salted spray I'd say sadly, yes.
Mine has seen neither, and I'm disappointed to see some rust beginning to develop in similar places.
I'm still debating getting under it with a can of Rustoleum black, or trying the Chemical Guys barebones I just bought.
Clean it, spray it with a converter like Extend, wait 24 hours, shoot it black.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
this is my major concern with the amount of frame surgery im debating going after for my long arm project. if money and time were no object id have the work done then have the who thing stripped and power coated

Sponsored

916WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
NHOU Boss Wax--The brine used in WI is like an acid. I had a frame completely rot from the inside out on a Colorado. I could push a screwdriver straight into it. Since then I've had the frame cavities sprayed with oil and the boss wax treatment done on the undercarriage-no issues anymore. Here's a pic from my old JK......

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 8.16.31 PM.png

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
NHOU Boss Wax--The brine used in WI is like an acid. I had a frame completely rot from the inside out on a Colorado. I could push a screwdriver straight into it. Since then I've had the frame cavities sprayed with oil and the boss wax treatment done on the undercarriage-no issues anymore. Here's a pic from my old JK......

Jeep Gladiator This much rust after 1 year/4k miles? Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 8.16.31 PM

does this stuff attract mud and dirt? looks sticky

916WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
does this stuff attract mud and dirt? looks sticky
No--I had it sprayed on my '23 Gladiator after picking it up last fall. It took a couple of days to completely cure, but it dries to a hard, satin black. It's not rubbery--you can scrape it off with your fingernail. I'll take some pics in the next day or two. I don't know about heavy mud, but the dirt and salt washes right off of it. It's only been one winter, but the undercarriage is totally rust free--looks better than when I picked it up from the dealership.