Tire Weight & Performance

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I feel the ride is better, cornering as good, accel and mpg may be slightly better. I used that size on my max tow and liked them. No negatives other than cost to make the change.
Sponsored

Banned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator
Occupation
Mariner
This might have been covered before, but I don’t see an answer on the Google machine, so figured I’d ask again...

My JTR came stock with the Falken Wildpeak M/T’s in 285/70r17... These tires are 32.9” tall (inflated) and weigh 63.3 lbs. each. With the 4.10’s, my JTR is fairly perky on the throttle (for a V6).

The 37x13.50r20 tires I’m looking at are about 36.54” tall (inflated), and weigh 78.17 lbs. each.

How much acceleration and passing-power will I lose by going up 14 lbs. per tire in weight and 3.5” in height, if I run them with stock 4.10 gears? The Jeep is still a lease, so right now I don’t want to regear, until it’s under a loan to buy when my lease is up. Trying to stick to only minimal off-road upgrades, and bolt-on only and nothing permanent or semi-permanent (gears, engine, trans, etc...) for right now.

Keep in mind Nitto Trail Grappler M/T’s in 37x13.50r20 weigh 91.8 lbs. each, as a comparison.

Can anyone give me some “butt-dyno” performance numbers on how much power loss you noticed when going to 37’s with factory 4.10 gears?

Thanks,

Troy
In my opinion, it won't be undriveable, but you'll notice it until you get used to it. I personally wouldn't go any taller than 35's on 4.10's and/or stock axles, but that's just me. I traded a '22 JLUW Extreme Recon with 2.0 Turbo for a '23 JTR and hated it after a few weeks. It felt way underpowered compared to the 2.0. and 5.13's, Now I love it and don't even notice the power difference. If you need 37's, buy some heavy Dana 44's, 60's, or a half ton with lower gearing. If you're doing things that absolutely require 37's, you're going to need to repower anyway.

Last edited: