Sponsored

Took a chance on wireless carplay adapter (it works)

Mholccombe

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
I have the 7" headunit with wired carplay but was looking for a wireless option for connecting the iphone. I tried the carplay2air dongle and after it arrived and a quick update the darn thing works with a few exceptions. The biggest problem I had was that I needed to disconnect/forget the bluetooth from the phone to the head unit. It was inconsistent in connecting until I made that change. It also takes a bit longer to launch carplay (about 12-15seconds) but overall it works really well. I've had it now for a week and haven't ran into any major issues around music, podcasts or maps yet...
Just raising awareness if you are interested in wireless carplay or you are leery of the high price tag ($160) for the thing and not sure if it will work.

https://carplay2air.com/
Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Need something like this for Android Auto...although I have had issues with AA + Uconnect..not sure I will ever use it again.

OP
OP

Mholccombe

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Well that's a bummer that Andriod Auto doesn't work well for you. I would be super unhappy without CarPlay. What are your issues with AA?

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Well that's a bummer that Andriod Auto doesn't work well for you. I would be super unhappy without CarPlay. What are your issues with AA?
Several:

1) Everytime I use AA...it somehow causes Uconnect to forget any phone blutooth pairings...so have to clear phone cache and redo pairing.
2) Its like 50/50 if the voice guidance when using Maps works. Usually unplugging phone from car and re connecting fixes it
3) Most of the music APPS i like to use...Tidal, Plex have numerous problems...seems if I have the Tidal or Plex app running on phone before i launch AA then it works but otherwise...I get empty playlists, no song titles, etc.

OP
OP

Mholccombe

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
The headunit is so close to being great but these type issues and the ones I've ran into with Carplay make it feel half done. It's also frustrating that they haven't released a new software version to address some of this. Good luck!

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 7" headunit with wired carplay but was looking for a wireless option for connecting the iphone. I tried the carplay2air dongle and after it arrived and a quick update the darn thing works with a few exceptions. The biggest problem I had was that I needed to disconnect/forget the bluetooth from the phone to the head unit. It was inconsistent in connecting until I made that change. It also takes a bit longer to launch carplay (about 12-15seconds) but overall it works really well. I've had it now for a week and haven't ran into any major issues around music, podcasts or maps yet...
Just raising awareness if you are interested in wireless carplay or you are leery of the high price tag ($160) for the thing and not sure if it will work.

Thanks for posting this but please explain to me the benefit of buying this $160.00 :stop: dongle?

OP
OP

Mholccombe

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Well let’s see
  • No need to connect a wire to use CarPlay so no USB wires laying around
  • Leave your phone in your pocket and drive around like a boss
  • For short runs where you don’t need a charge it really is convenient
  • If you don’t like wireless no harm was just trying to provide some info for people that might not even know this is available

Mowat

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Thanks for posting this but please explain to me the benefit of buying this $160.00 :stop: dongle?
I've been eyeballing it for awhile. I use the Nato magnet charge mount. It's great I have one at my desk one by my bedside table. And in all 3 cars. But this means I have to use it and CarPlay. I would be really nice to just jump in slap the phone on the magnet charging mount and boom CarPlay.

lobelsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Gator
On sale for Xmas. $129.95

Got it a week ago. Plug and play after authorizing via wifi.
Works within 10 seconds of starting car. No hiccups. Audio quality from podcast and phone as good as USB-lightning connection.

Liking it so far.
Now I need a wireless charger.
Thinking Nato mount from XL to charge model.

Mowat

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
With the sale ongoing. I pulled the trigger we will see how it works.

Now I need a wireless charger.
Thinking Nato mount from XL to charge model.
What do you have for a phone. I finally got ( took for ever )

https://www.esrgear.com/products/halolock-magnetic-wireless-car-charger-mount-for-iphone-12/

I use a proclip. mount

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/855431-proclip-center-dash-mount

With a ball mount.

( somewhere in the accessories on that page )..

But before the iPhone 12 I used the nato mount.. And my kids had a brilliant Idea. We took the apple wireless charger for the 12. Put a metal disk on the back of it from the Nato kit.. and stuck it to the nato mount and then the phone to the apple charger worked brilliantly.

Sponsored

lobelsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Gator
Iphone 12 pro max works on nato xl.

t0wnes_

First Name
Townes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator, 20 KTM 250sx, 01 Honda cr250
Occupation
White Castle cashier

Do you still recommend?

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Do you still recommend?
I don’t. There are other threads on this topic with some people have success and others not so much.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Need something like this for Android Auto...although I have had issues with AA + Uconnect..not sure I will ever use it again.
I just bought the Motorola MA1 for Wireless Android Auto... it works PERFECTLY. No difference from wired AA. Just as fast, no bugs.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Do you still recommend?
I’ve had one for almost two years. I’d say 5% of the time, it fails to initiate on the dash upon startup. I use the console usb, so it is probably that connection. Regardless, on those rare occasions, I just unplug and plug and it works fine.

its Outlasted just about any charge chord I’ve ever had. Strong recommend.
Sponsored