Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that's what I said. When the Aussies say so, and the EU says bring it on, it can't be bad. Then there's the heat rating - it doesn't burn all that hot when it does burn.

Ironically, I was talking this topic with the guys that installed our new heat pump (and new minisplit for the sun room) and they were fine with heat, torches and so on - but are concerned about the next generations that may come out. I watched them using torches and talked about refrigerants and I figured they worked with it literally every day.

It's sort of like some other stuff, brake fluid, for example - it can burn IF it's kept burning by something else like a wick. Otherwise on its own, it won't keep going and is difficult to ignite.

And yeah, for many years AC systems have not been like the old York compressors where there's oil in a crankcase. Lube circulates in the system. It's why when converting you must flush out lines completely and leave no old oil behind. Another topic discussed with the HVAC techs here as I compared my AC and HVAC experiences with the current stuff (my HVAC experience dates to the early 1990s when I was in charge of the buildings and systems of OWL and 30 some heat pumps so I'm way out of date on things)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My condenser was warped significantly worse than this and radiator was unmolested, I would guess that your radiator is fine unless the stick went all the way through your condenser, and it doesn't appear that it did in the pictures.
The proof will be in the removal of the condenser and/or the radiator holding pressure and not leaking. They can take a whack, but the one photo, at least "from here" seemed to show a less than straight radiator. Still....... unless it's punctured by something sharp, you have a point.

OP
OP

fishincreeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F250 Platinum, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Finally had time this afternoon to really look at it. Once I got everything open to where i could see it, I found that something smaller did go through the condenser and got into the radiator. Topped off the coolant and you literally could see it coming out of the radiator in the gashed up spot. So new condenser and radiator on the way. Luckily these things are super easy to work on, and my brother is a mechanic, just sucks that he lives 3 hrs away. Thanks everyone, I've been on here a while but don't post much. You all are awesome.
Sponsored