First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Floater
Has anyone done or are looking into doing the TAT in a Gladiator? Im looking at doing it next summer (2021) on my way up to Alaska. Any advise or anyone looking to do the same?
Sponsored

NorthEast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I may do it someday. Not sure I'd go to Alaska. I have family on the west coast that I'd visit.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like a great trip. I have not done the TAT in my Gladiator, but did much of the western half in my JK a couple years back. There was nothing there that the Gladiator couldn't have done. But carry detailed maps of each state you're crossing because you'll probably find places where you must reroute--fires, rockfalls, or just disgusted with how busy some sections are (especially bad in Colorado). There are also places where the trees will scratch up your paint--especially in Oregon. You may wish to reroute around those, though there's little warning until you're deep into it. As for Alaska, there are two ways there (compare Alaska Highway and Top of the World Highway), and I recommend you drive one up and the other back if time permits. As for Deadhorse, you can't get a picture like this in Alaska. But a friend of mine shot this last week in Tuktoyatuk, Northwest Territory ...

88273533_1116823055334092_968466987254546432_o.jpg

The Peripatetic Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Has anyone done or are looking into doing the TAT in a Gladiator? Im looking at doing it next summer (2021) on my way up to Alaska. Any advise or anyone looking to do the same?
Wow, I was about to ask the same questions, great minds and all, huh? I was going to start out in Virginia/NC/TN, round abouts that area, but I’m still looking at Youtuber Vids and Different Map/Trails, and trying to decide on the best one and stick with a course that looks somewhat challenging and not so mild. I guess the part that got me thinking was it was for Motorcycles, I had a KLR-650 Dual Sport and if you know of bikes, this was either Loved or Hated by most riders, wanted to take that instead of the Gladiator but that’s another can of worms...So here I am trying to get as much info on the topic and knowledge from the people that have already experienced The TAT and see if they had a particular Map/Route they took and why they decided or were forced to take (Fell Trees, Construction issues, Out of Service Repairs, etc) I’ve checked my Gaia Premium App and it doesn’t have the TAT on file, might have to download a map (if anyone know of such, please...) Another hiccup is this Pandemic Outbreak, and that got me wondering if they (Govt) will impose a Travel-Ban/Curfew on roads and trails and I definitely don’t wish to be caught up in a lockdown type of situation during a Overlanding adventure, I get it’s all about the journey, but being idle for too long while trying to avoid getting sick is pretty much the same as bunkering down in my own driveway. I hope we get some answers for us both here shortly, thanks and all the best!!!

Sponsored

max toe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito, 1998 audi
a friend of mine took her JKUR and her nephew went in a Tundra with rtt and it did fine, didnt look too modified in photos

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
... I guess the part that got me thinking was it was for Motorcycles ...

... I am trying to get as much info on the topic and knowledge from the people that have already experienced The TAT and see if they had a particular Map/Route they took and why they decided or were forced to take (Fell Trees, Construction issues, Out of Service Repairs, etc) ...
To clear up some confusion. Yes, the TAT was made by a motorcycle rider, Sam Correll. Yes, there are "fake" TAT routes made by other people tapping into this market. Sam has spent years putting these routes together and he charges a small amount for them. He sells them as an entire package or by state. Simple .gpx routes for a suitable GPS with topo mapping app/software are quite affordable, but it gets more expensive if you're a bike rider who prefers roll charts. He has additional side routes that he's added over the years.

When you buy the maps from him, you're helping him to pay for the gas and lodging and food he uses to maintain the maps as current (keeping you out of trouble with the law and private property owners), and to develop those new trails. The routes are mostly forest service roads and such. I drove about 85% of the western half a couple years ago and none of what we drove could not be driven by a Gladiator (we were in Jeep JKs). But do be prepared to have some trail rash when you're done. If you wish to see what the route was like, I'd encourage you to view the videos on my YouTube channel. Throughout those videos I explain how our route had to change, and why we made that change. Here is the teaser video ...

And here is Sam's website to purchase the map products ...

https://www.transamtrail.com/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Circuitous

Circuitous

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Floater
[QUOTE="Mark Doiron, post: 471348, member: 23543"

Thanks for the info. Right after i posted i read about the 'new" road going up to Tuk. Id probably do that as well but than also to Deadhorse as that is the Official End/Start of the Pan American. Whats another week or so of driving. Haha. Unfortunately now with all this pandemic stuff going on i might have to delay the trip a bit. Hopefully not too long tho.

OP
OP
Circuitous

Circuitous

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Floater
Wow, I was about to ask the same questions, great minds and all, huh? I was going to start out in Virginia/NC/TN, round abouts that area, but I’m still looking at Youtuber Vids and Different Map/Trails, and trying to decide on the best one and stick with a course that looks somewhat challenging and not so mild. I guess the part that got me thinking was it was for Motorcycles, I had a KLR-650 Dual Sport and if you know of bikes, this was either Loved or Hated by most riders, wanted to take that instead of the Gladiator but that’s another can of worms...So here I am trying to get as much info on the topic and knowledge from the people that have already experienced The TAT and see if they had a particular Map/Route they took and why they decided or were forced to take (Fell Trees, Construction issues, Out of Service Repairs, etc) I’ve checked my Gaia Premium App and it doesn’t have the TAT on file, might have to download a map (if anyone know of such, please...) Another hiccup is this Pandemic Outbreak, and that got me wondering if they (Govt) will impose a Travel-Ban/Curfew on roads and trails and I definitely don’t wish to be caught up in a lockdown type of situation during a Overlanding adventure, I get it’s all about the journey, but being idle for too long while trying to avoid getting sick is pretty much the same as bunkering down in my own driveway. I hope we get some answers for us both here shortly, thanks and all the best!!!
Nice. Im looking at starting at the Outer Banks, probably Hattaras lighthouse and heading west. But it wont be till 2021. Than bouncing thru the GA traverse and then picking back up the TAT. I wouldnt mind doing some of the trail on a motorcycle while my GF follows in the Gladiator, but she doesnt have that much off road experience. Gotta start somewhere i guess. I have Gaia as well but what you can do is go to the Hema maps page and sign up and get all the .GPX files that they have come up with thru their expeditions. Or you can go to the Overland journal page https://overlandjournal.com/overland-routes/ and get them (they use Hema and google also) and upload the .GPX files to your Gaia account. Ive done that for the CDT and the PCOR routes. Works like a champ. As for the pandemic stuff, i hope it all gets sorted soon and everyone back to "normal"

OP
OP
Circuitous

Circuitous

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Floater
a friend of mine took her JKUR and her nephew went in a Tundra with rtt and it did fine, didnt look too modified in photos
I have seen alot of people use fairly stock vehicles do quite a bit of the TAT. I dont plan on doing much to the Glad before i head out suspension wise. Id like to keep it as stock and reliable as possible. I dont rock crawl any more. Not much of that in So Florida.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Circuitous

Circuitous

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Floater
To clear up some confusion. Yes, the TAT was made by a motorcycle rider, Sam Correll. Yes, there are "fake" TAT routes made by other people tapping into this market. Sam has spent years putting these routes together and he charges a small amount for them. He sells them as an entire package or by state. Simple .gpx routes for a suitable GPS with topo mapping app/software are quite affordable, but it gets more expensive if you're a bike rider who prefers roll charts. He has additional side routes that he's added over the years.

When you buy the maps from him, you're helping him to pay for the gas and lodging and food he uses to maintain the maps as current (keeping you out of trouble with the law and private property owners), and to develop those new trails. The routes are mostly forest service roads and such. I drove about 85% of the western half a couple years ago and none of what we drove could not be driven by a Gladiator (we were in Jeep JKs). But do be prepared to have some trail rash when you're done. If you wish to see what the route was like, I'd encourage you to view the videos on my YouTube channel. Throughout those videos I explain how our route had to change, and why we made that change. Here is the teaser video ...

And here is Sam's website to purchase the map products ...

https://www.transamtrail.com/
I planned on getting the .GPX files from Sam. I like what he has done. I plan on taking a chain saw and trimming back some over growth or if there are felled trees i can take care of them instead of having to reroute if at all possible. Thanks for putting up your video. every little bit helps. Thank you

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I planned on getting the .GPX files from Sam. I like what he has done. I plan on taking a chain saw and trimming back some over growth or if there are felled trees i can take care of them instead of having to reroute if at all possible. Thanks for putting up your video. every little bit helps. Thank you
Yeah, that section where we turned around in Oregon had at least several dozen felled trees over the road, including one rather large root ball (estimate 10 feet in diameter) above the road that would fall on the road, blocking it. Looking at piles of debris along the road as we drove up, it appeared that a crew had been working to clear it, but (presumably) been called out to fight fires elsewhere. Another reroute was because the road was blocked by a rockfall and had been closed by the USFS. Another one was because a private company had leased the land from the BLM and put up signs threatening to call the sheriff on anyone who violated their lease rights by driving along that section. Carry good maps and be prepared to reroute.

OP
OP
Circuitous

Circuitous

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Floater
Yeah, that section where we turned around in Oregon had at least several dozen felled trees over the road, including one rather large root ball (estimate 10 feet in diameter) above the road that would fall on the road, blocking it. Looking at piles of debris along the road as we drove up, it appeared that a crew had been working to clear it, but (presumably) been called out to fight fires elsewhere. Another reroute was because the road was blocked by a rockfall and had been closed by the USFS. Another one was because a private company had leased the land from the BLM and put up signs threatening to call the sheriff on anyone who violated their lease rights by driving along that section. Carry good maps and be prepared to reroute.
Thanks for those updates. Really sucks about the BLM portion and the private company.

Brentano84

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
A friend of mine and I did a section of the TaT last week. I have been wanting to go on my motorcycle, but the all the rain we have gotten changed my mine. I put a rack and roof top tent on my gladiator. We went on the trail from Fayetteville Ar to Fayetteville Tn before I had to drop him off where he lived in Alabama and I headed back. We are going to pick up and continue the trail later on sometime. I filmed some of it on my GoPro. Ill post a link. I am not the best Vlogger, and forgot to turn on the camera for some of the good stuff. As for the trail, my jeep is stock and for this section, there was only one technical area called "war loop." Our main issue was very slick muddy roads in eastern Arkansas and red clay/mud roads in northern Mississippi. I only have 2 videos made of our 5 day trip. Working on the rest.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
... I only have 2 videos made of our 5 day trip. Working on the rest. ...
Thanks! Restaurant choices noted for when my friend Ray and I finally get to head out to the east part of the TAT. :)
Sponsored