Sponsored

Trans America Trail

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I have now completed 8 days of exploring on the TAT. I started where the trail enters Utah, from Colorado, in the town of Monticello. And I completed the western loop, back to Colorado again.

Day 1: Monticello, UT to Green River UT (173 miles) Pictures in above post

Day 2: Green River UT to Mills Junction, UT (272 miles) Pictures in above post

Day 3: Mills Junction, UT to Wendover, NV (310 miles)
Death Canyon, UT
Jeep Gladiator Trans America Trail TAT Day 3

Day 4: Wendover, NV to Twin Falls, ID (352 miles)
Jeep Gladiator Trans America Trail TAT Day 4 - 1

Day 5: Twin Falls, ID to Boise, ID (295 miles)
Jeep Gladiator Trans America Trail TAT Day 5 - 1

Day 6: Boise, ID to Arco, ID (255 miles)
Jeep Gladiator Trans America Trail TAT Day 6 - 7

Day 7: Arco, ID to Afton WY (276 miles)
Jeep Gladiator Trans America Trail TAT Day 7

Day 8: Afton WY to Baggs, WY (334 miles)
Jeep Gladiator Trans America Trail TAT Day 8 - 1

We really enjoyed ourselves. We drove the trail in the daytime, and stayed in motels at night. This is a real adventure people. If you really want to see America, this is the way to do it. Stay off the Interstate highways, and explore the back country. We used both the SD card and the maps that are sold on his web site. Our GPS was a Lowrance Hook 2 Baja 5, which worked fantastic. The OEM navigation system also came in handy when trying to locate a motel. Just type in motels, and hit the search button, and you have a list of them to choose from, with directions on how to get there. Motel rates ranged from free in Wendover Nevada, to $120 in Afton, Wyoming.
Sponsored

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have now completed 8 days of exploring on the TAT. I started where the trail enters Utah, from Colorado, in the town of Monticello. And I completed the western loop, back to Colorado again.

Day 1: Monticello, UT to Green River UT (173 miles) Pictures in above post

Day 2: Green River UT to Mills Junction, UT (272 miles) Pictures in above post

Day 3: Mills Junction, UT to Wendover, NV (310 miles)
Death Canyon, UT

Day 4: Wendover, NV to Twin Falls, ID (352 miles)

Day 5: Twin Falls, ID to Boise, ID (295 miles)

Day 6: Boise, ID to Arco, ID (255 miles)

Day 7: Arco, ID to Afton WY (276 miles)

Day 8: Afton WY to Baggs, WY (334 miles)

We really enjoyed ourselves. We drove the trail in the daytime, and stayed in motels at night. This is a real adventure people. If you really want to see America, this is the way to do it. Stay off the Interstate highways, and explore the back country. We used both the SD card and the maps that are sold on his web site. Our GPS was a Lowrance Hook 2 Baja 5, which worked fantastic. The OEM navigation system also came in handy when trying to locate a motel. Just type in motels, and hit the search button, and you have a list of them to choose from, with directions on how to get there. Motel rates ranged from free in Wendover Nevada, to $120 in Afton, Wyoming.
So jealous. I can't wait for my next trip on the trail.

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(once upon a time 1990 YJ)
While I did not end up purchasing a JT, the mid size I did purchase completed the TAT in Aug./Sept. at 8 months old, i just decided, "it's a truck dammit, scratches and dirt happen!"

Don't "just do it" experience it, dammit!. I mixed camping with motels. I had a 9 week time schedule and just followed Sam's tracks. Cannot believe how lucky I was with the weather. 2 rain events. The first night of rain I was in a motel. The other night was my last night, just outside of Port Orford - set up my RTT in light rain, broke camp in light rain. Though I will say 90 degree heat for many days was an inconvenience, and I did wake up in the desert one morning and in some mountains one morning with the outside temperature 38 degrees. (Actually, having a 3 season tent, the temp inside the tent was 38 as well)

My only problem was wildfires in the Cascades (hats off to the women and men fighting those fires) had to do a 3 hour highway re-route. Though I did come back a week later and go west to east and was able to get all but 10 miles done.

Yes, War loop sucks and should be avoided. And Marshall Pass is a pain, but interesting., if you follow the tracks, and dont hang a right and follow the current in use road.

As many have said, it is a view of Americal that not many people get to see. Kind of behind the scenes, so to speak. and yes I am an old fart, but at 60, and a bucket list that fills a barrel, I had to experience it.

Jeep Gladiator Trans America Trail IMG_4003.JPG

OP
OP
Circuitous

Circuitous

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Floater
Does anyone have the .gpx files for the TAT that they are willing to share?

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone have the .gpx files for the TAT that they are willing to share?
Sam takes the money he earns from selling the tracks and uses that to finance trips to update them and to add new routes. I encourage folks to support that by actually buying the tracks from his website. At only eight dollars a state, it's a pretty good bargain, and would be only a small fraction of the money you should budget for such a grand adventure.

Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
Wow, I was about to ask the same questions, great minds and all, huh? I was going to start out in Virginia/NC/TN, round abouts that area, but I’m still looking at Youtuber Vids and Different Map/Trails, and trying to decide on the best one and stick with a course that looks somewhat challenging and not so mild. I guess the part that got me thinking was it was for Motorcycles, I had a KLR-650 Dual Sport and if you know of bikes, this was either Loved or Hated by most riders, wanted to take that instead of the Gladiator but that’s another can of worms...So here I am trying to get as much info on the topic and knowledge from the people that have already experienced The TAT and see if they had a particular Map/Route they took and why they decided or were forced to take (Fell Trees, Construction issues, Out of Service Repairs, etc) I’ve checked my Gaia Premium App and it doesn’t have the TAT on file, might have to download a map (if anyone know of such, please...) Another hiccup is this Pandemic Outbreak, and that got me wondering if they (Govt) will impose a Travel-Ban/Curfew on roads and trails and I definitely don’t wish to be caught up in a lockdown type of situation during a Overlanding adventure, I get it’s all about the journey, but being idle for too long while trying to avoid getting sick is pretty much the same as bunkering down in my own driveway. I hope we get some answers for us both here shortly, thanks and all the best!!!
You really need to plan to use the maps from Sam on the official TAT website.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm in the early stages of planning my TAT trip, but for now, leaving April 22nd from Northern Virginia and joining the trail at the start in WV. I plan on doing the whole trail including the southern and NW spurs and giving myself two months to allow for excursions (MOAB and the Rubicon and some National Parks)...hoping 2 months is enough time. I plan to camp 3-4 days at a stretch with hotels to clean up and do laundry as needed. I am retiring from the military and doing this with my dog to stretch the legs. As of now, debating over a tablet/ipad mini for GAIA and Sam's .gpx files plus hard maps or upgrading my factory radio with Insane Audio's head or Stinger Off Road's head...still need to pick up a few things and I have a few projects left for the Jeep before she is ready for the trip.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
While I did not end up purchasing a JT, the mid size I did purchase completed the TAT in Aug./Sept. at 8 months old, i just decided, "it's a truck dammit, scratches and dirt happen!"

Don't "just do it" experience it, dammit!. I mixed camping with motels. I had a 9 week time schedule and just followed Sam's tracks. Cannot believe how lucky I was with the weather. 2 rain events. The first night of rain I was in a motel. The other night was my last night, just outside of Port Orford - set up my RTT in light rain, broke camp in light rain. Though I will say 90 degree heat for many days was an inconvenience, and I did wake up in the desert one morning and in some mountains one morning with the outside temperature 38 degrees. (Actually, having a 3 season tent, the temp inside the tent was 38 as well)

My only problem was wildfires in the Cascades (hats off to the women and men fighting those fires) had to do a 3 hour highway re-route. Though I did come back a week later and go west to east and was able to get all but 10 miles done.

Yes, War loop sucks and should be avoided. And Marshall Pass is a pain, but interesting., if you follow the tracks, and dont hang a right and follow the current in use road.

As many have said, it is a view of Americal that not many people get to see. Kind of behind the scenes, so to speak. and yes I am an old fart, but at 60, and a bucket list that fills a barrel, I had to experience it.

Jeep Gladiator Trans America Trail IMG_4003.JPG
Was 9 weeks enough? I'm planning 8 weeks...everything I have read is people average 200 miles a day. At 5500 miles long, that should take 27.5 days, and with my excursions and "enjoying" the views, I figured 33 extra days should be plenty.

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Ok, this is really cool...I wish he’d show Texas some love though.

First question....is there a way, via hardware, software or both, to get these routes displayed on the truck‘s infotainment system?

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ok, this is really cool...I wish he’d show Texas some love though.

First question....is there a way, via hardware, software or both, to get these routes displayed on the truck‘s infotainment system?
I'm told with Carplay and the GAIA app, you can. GAIA can accept .gpx files and Carplay will display GAIA, so you should be able to do it. I haven't downloaded GAIA yet or bought the .gpx files, so cannot say with certainty. I had originally planned on running a separate Garmin for the .gpx files, but considering doing a tablet instead for the added functionality. Concerns with a tablet is getting one with a built in GPS receiver or using a bluetooth GPS receiver...or I know the Stinger Off-Road 10" radio head comes with a GPS receiver and is Carplay compatible and I am assuming is essentially just a Android based tablet (very similar to Phoenix Audio droid based "tesla" like tablet radio setups).

Sponsored

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
I'm told with Carplay and the GAIA app, you can. GAIA can accept .gpx files and Carplay will display GAIA, so you should be able to do it. I haven't downloaded GAIA yet or bought the .gpx files, so cannot say with certainty. I had originally planned on running a separate Garmin for the .gpx files, but considering doing a tablet instead for the added functionality. Concerns with a tablet is getting one with a built in GPS receiver or using a bluetooth GPS receiver...or I know the Stinger Off-Road 10" radio head comes with a GPS receiver and is Carplay compatible and I am assuming is essentially just a Android based tablet (very similar to Phoenix Audio droid based "tesla" like tablet radio setups).
Makes perfect sense. I’m thinking we’d upload the .gpx files into our GAIA account via desktop, and once that is in, open our GAIA account in the infotainment system and voila....

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
... debating over a tablet/ipad mini for GAIA and Sam's .gpx files plus hard maps ...
I'm told with Carplay and the GAIA app, you can. GAIA can accept .gpx files and Carplay will display GAIA, so you should be able to do it. ...
I'd recommend instead of Sam's paper maps (which I believe are roll charts designed for motorcyclists, anyway) that you carry a copy of the Gazetteer for each state you'll cross (okay, you're only in New Mexico an hour or so, so probably skip that one). You'll appreciate having that level of detailed map when you run into a road that is closed for fire, rock fall, tree fall, private company mineral extraction (of public lands, no less), etc. We ran into all of those and more during our run, and found the paper maps quite useful for planning reroutes. Order them direct from Garmin (yes, they own them now). That way you'll get a good price and the most current version of each atlas.

As for Gaia: Great idea. And I've heard that it can be projected onto the Gladiator display. However, only with Apple products. Thus far, Google isn't allowing competition for its mapping product. I did read recently that may be cracking open, maybe, but check before depending on projecting an Android tablet. I'm okay without it ojn the uConnect display. I use Backcountry Navigator on a Nexus 7 in its own mount, which allows me to reserve the uConnect display for Jeep functions (Off-road pages, forward camera, etc) ...

Jeep Gladiator Trans America Trail Gladiator, Apr 20, CP_104616, New Nexus 7 Install
-

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'd recommend instead of Sam's paper maps (which I believe are roll charts designed for motorcyclists, anyway) that you carry a copy of the Gazetteer for each state you'll cross (okay, you're only in New Mexico an hour or so, so probably skip that one). You'll appreciate having that level of detailed map when you run into a road that is closed for fire, rock fall, tree fall, private company mineral extraction (of public lands, no less), etc. We ran into all of those and more during our run, and found the paper maps quite useful for planning reroutes. Order them direct from Garmin (yes, they own them now). That way you'll get a good price and the most current version of each atlas.

As for Gaia: Great idea. And I've heard that it can be projected onto the Gladiator display. However, only with Apple products. Thus far, Google isn't allowing competition for its mapping product. I did read recently that may be cracking open, maybe, but check before depending on projecting an Android tablet. I'm okay without it ojn the uConnect display. I use Backcountry Navigator on a Nexus 7 in its own mount, which allows me to reserve the uConnect display for Jeep functions (Off-road pages, forward camera, etc) ...

Jeep Gladiator Trans America Trail Gladiator, Apr 20, CP_104616, New Nexus 7 Install
-
This is why I am leaning towards a separate tablet and I've been looking at some commercial "rugged" ones. I think Sam has maps and roll charts, but I could be wrong, just going off of what I remember the last time I was on his site. I'm excited for the trip regardless and I don't mind getting lost now and then.

1OffCraz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
We did 1100 miles of the TAT from WV to NC in September. I used a Samsung Galaxy TabE running Garmin explore, which is free. It accepts direct import of Sam's tracks, and was THE BEST thing to have for the trip.
I have the tablet mounted to my CMM mounts on the navigator's side.

We have to re-route several times due to bridges washed out, etc. It was ideal for that purpose.
I also converted the tracks to turn-by-turn for my Garmin road GPS. It was okay, but the Tablet with Garmin explore was amazing.

Jeep Gladiator Trans America Trail tablet

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
...in its own mount, which allows me to reserve the uConnect display for Jeep functions (Off-road pages, forward camera, etc) ...

Jeep Gladiator Trans America Trail tablet
-
I'd second that. Running a phone, the infotainment, and a separate tablet for navigation is really helpful. Also it's great to have redundancy - if the tablet fails you can run GAIA on your phone or vis versa.

I ran my phone and an iPad Air with GAIA on some recent stretches of the TAT in VA and NC which worked really well.

Jeep Gladiator Trans America Trail navigation.JPG

Only other thing to think about for the tablet is storage space on the device. If you're doing big chunks at a time where you won't have data available (or just want to prevent using a lot of data) you'll want to pre-download map sections ahead of time. They can get pretty big depending on how many layers you download.
Sponsored